Pruning a Colorado Blue Spruce

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Pruning a Colorado Blue Spruce

Post by baconbits »

Hi,

I have a 20-30ft Blue Spruce in my yard which and I would like to cut back a few of the bottom branches. I have heard that you shouldn't prune these tree's at all but was wondering if anyone on here has. Also, does it matter the time of year that you prune?

Thanks
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Pruning a Colorado Blue Spruce

Post by Lady tehMa »

pm treeguy - he's an arborist (if I'm not mistaken)
I haven't failed until I quit.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Nothing wrong with pruning it. Often the crown needs to be raised for mowing or just aesthetics. There is a right way and a wrong way to prune them. What are you trying to achieve?
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

Thanks for the note Tree Guy.

I have a two tierd back yard and on the lower level there is a hot tub. On the second tier there are the two spruces directly behind the hot tub. they we're just getting a little to close to the tub, so I wanted to just prune the bottom branches off.. I went ahead and did it today and just made sure to make nice clean cuts about an inch away form the main trunk. Is it ok to cut away any dead branches?

Cheers
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

I couldn't resist I went ahead and did some pruning and this is the result:
Attachments
after.png
before.png
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Looks good. An inch stub is a little long, should be right at the trunk without cutting into the bark. But what you did won't kill it. Dead wood can always be pruned off. Is that two trees stuck together? If so they sure planted them close.

Did you take the debris to the dump in a trailer? I was pulling onto Gordon out of the Starbucks and saw a small load of blue spruce branches go by. Thought about your post.
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

TreeGuy wrote:Looks good. An inch stub is a little long, should be right at the trunk without cutting into the bark. But what you did won't kill it. Dead wood can always be pruned off. Is that two trees stuck together? If so they sure planted them close.

Did you take the debris to the dump in a trailer? I was pulling onto Gordon out of the Starbucks and saw a small load of blue spruce branches go by. Thought about your post.

LOL, no that wasn't me. Unfortunately there is actually 3 trees there :(

Thanks for the info I think I will go in the middle of the three of them this weekend and prune off the rest of the dead branches which are in the middle of the three of them.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”