Gardening 2016: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Gardening 2016: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Post by Bpeep »

Between the sedums and the berries, let me know when I have you worn down into a diminutive gardening nub.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Bman wrote:Yes please. I'll take all 3

Unless lady T wants too.
I don't want to be greedy.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Via PMs I've got one left for you anyways! Come on down and get it. Size up the saskatoon berry bushes while you're at it.

Damn! And I've got Cape Gooseberry developing along very well, had no idea what they are when I bought them, but the flower is attractive and the berries are edible.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Bman wrote:Unless lady T wants too.
I don't want to be greedy.

Thank you - you are so thoughtful! I did pick up one goji berry plant - I don't think they require pollinators so I should be good. Though I may have to tweak the pH in the ground a bit. I need to learn to research things before planting. :132:

I might take a Saskatoon off QK's hands in she's intersted, not this week though.

Though Bman, I may be able to use some dill - I have some growing but don't know if it will be enough for my pickles.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Come help yourself. There's lots.
I made you read this

Post by I made you read this »

I'm looking for some help/direction with my potatoes. I planted a row of Russet seed potatoes purchased from Art Knap. they were labelled early-mid season. They were planted on May 6, in a trench about 12 inches deep with a generously tilled soil/compost mix. They were hilled and mulched after a few weeks, with 4-5 hours/day direct sunlight. The stalks are now about 3-4ft tall, most of them bent over and some (few) flowers appeared and dropped about a week a go.

We're currently on day 69, so i decided to dig in the first two plants and see what i can find. The results are a small handful of potatoes, mostly small size (pictured thumb for reference)

I was expecting a larger crop, and larger size potatoes. Do I need to wait longer? Or should i reset my expectations
potatoes.jpg
The Minivan: 2 in the front, 5 in the back
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I have no idea but now I'm worried as I've had no flowers and the stalks look ready to be dug up. Just like yours. Damn, now I have to go check the taters. To be fair, there is one row where I expect nothing at all due to the quality of the spud I put in.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I got some plants at Canadian Tire - they're blowing them out cheap, folks! I picked up 9 plants for $5.50!

I had a moment of ephipany when I realized I only have spring bulbs around my little oak tree, and could really use some perennials for summer colour. 2 Delphiniums, 3 daisy like things that were missing tags, a geum (they still have lots!), a bellflower and a salvia. Oh, I got a globethistle too. They have a pile of grasses and annuals as well as perennials still. If you have any bare spots left, go snag some plants!

Bman - I'll try to swing by tomorrow for some dill :up:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I just am getting in my haul. I'm pulling out chicks and hens, HINT: PM me for xeriscape plants, I have huge chunks of the stuff to deal with.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Lady tehMa wrote:I got some plants at Canadian Tire - they're blowing them out cheap, folks! I picked up 9 plants for $5.50!

I had a moment of ephipany when I realized I only have spring bulbs around my little oak tree, and could really use some perennials for summer colour. 2 Delphiniums, 3 daisy like things that were missing tags, a geum (they still have lots!), a bellflower and a salvia. Oh, I got a globethistle too. They have a pile of grasses and annuals as well as perennials still. If you have any bare spots left, go snag some plants!

Bman - I'll try to swing by tomorrow for some dill :up:

Anytime.
If I'm not home go help yourself.
Before you go to the back, turn the pond motion sprinkler to "off".
If you don't know where it is, go to the back and it'll automatically show you its location.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Norlands were a success. They were the ones that got dried and shrivelled and I had trepidation about even planting them.

Stalks are wilting off and yellowing. We dug up six wonderful healthy taters yesterday.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I am waiting on blackberries to ripen. Watching and waiting . . .
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Got the onions, shallots and garlic cleaned up and in today. They spent days on the deck, I'm surprised Bman didn't come over and raid them when they were all curin' out there, alone.

And I didn't water today in anticipation of rain, and we got rain!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

That was some storm - your rainbarrels must be full! Nice not having to water - our water bill is down from last year. :D

And it has been cool enough that I am seeing the spinach I planted start to sprout! I'm wondering if my tomatoes will ever ripen though :p
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Last night I made a greek salad using tomatoes (and one cucumber) from the garden. What a difference! :yahoo:

Return to “Creative Endeavours”