Renovating an Ensuite

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
pepsilover
Übergod

Renovating an Ensuite

Post by pepsilover »

I am wanting to get my ensuite renovated to include new sink, new toilet, new floor, painting walls etc., and new counter (or just countertop as I already have good cabinets but may go for a new cabinet if price is right).

So my question is what do I do first? Floor? Painting? Or the other three? (toilet, sink and counter)? I've already bought the sink I want which will pretty much fit existing counter but am open to putting new counter in.

Which is the best order in which to do these things?
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Renovating an Ensuite

Post by Lady tehMa »

My friend just finished hers.

Drywall, paint, flooring, main items (toilet/sink/counter) was how she did hers. Then she did finishing (beadboard, trim, shelving, etc. Her ensuite looks fantastic.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

You may want to have your plumbing and wiring checked before closing it in, including the exhaust fan vent. Especially if you are updating an older bathroom.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Lady tehMa wrote:My friend just finished hers.

Drywall, paint, flooring, main items (toilet/sink/counter) was how she did hers. Then she did finishing (beadboard, trim, shelving, etc. Her ensuite looks fantastic.

Thanks. Makes sense. I was wondering mostly about exactly when doing the painting would be best because the new toilet might be smaller (on the back) than the existing one. So I guess I better pick out my toilet, measure it and then go from there and start the painting first.

Did she do the flooring the same day she put the new toilet down?
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Donald G wrote:You may want to have your plumbing and wiring checked before closing it in, including the exhaust fan vent. Especially if you are updating an older bathroom.

What do you mean "closing it in"? I have a plumbing check up every year by Mr. Rooter, BUT, I have dumped them for reasons I would rather not go into. What do you mean "checked" - for what exactly? And it isn't going to be "closed in". Not sure what you mean. I am not going to do anything with the exhaust fan, it works.

Oh, and yes I am updating an older bathroom. This will be the first change it's had, I've lived here since the house was built. It's approximately 30 years old.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

when we did ours it went like this...check all wiring and vent fan before the drywall goes up.., then seal all the drywall, then paint (ceiling first of course), then flooring, then baseboards, then toilet, sink, mirror and lights...

a heck of a lot easier to have it fully painted without anything in your way...we spent extra $$$ on really good quality paint and it was worth it !!

if your bathroom is 30 yrs old, check that exhaust fan...sometimes it needs a really good cleaning or might need to be replaced..

as for plumbing, clean out the trap for the sink (you didn't mention doing a shower) you wouldn't believe the amount of crap that could be in that trap..
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

No big deal pepsilover ...

As westsyde105 says "closing it in" is putting your insulation, vapor barrier, floor, walls and ceiling (back) in and doing the finishing.

Sometimes in older houses you find some pretty old and disintegrating "stuff" in the sewer, water and electrical systems. It is easy to examine them when you have everything "opened up".
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Maybe I should have been more clear. Maybe 'renovating' is the wrong word technically. LOL! I won't be doing any drywall or even baseboard replacing. The walls are in excellent shape, as are the baseboards. They will have to come up maybe depending on the type of flooring I put in, but would still use them.

I was more or less wondering at what point I should do the painting and the flooring because of all the new 'pieces' going in ie toilet, sink/counter/possible new cabinet. And right there is no shower, this is a two piece ensuite.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

westside105 wrote:when we did ours it went like this...check all wiring and vent fan before the drywall goes up.., then seal all the drywall, then paint (ceiling first of course), then flooring, then baseboards, then toilet, sink, mirror and lights...

a heck of a lot easier to have it fully painted without anything in your way...we spent extra $$$ on really good quality paint and it was worth it !!

if your bathroom is 30 yrs old, check that exhaust fan...sometimes it needs a really good cleaning or might need to be replaced..

as for plumbing, clean out the trap for the sink (you didn't mention doing a shower) you wouldn't believe the amount of crap that could be in that trap..

Please see above post. Also, I wondered what you just said. That it would be easier to paint with nothing in your way. I will be getting somebody else to put in the sink and toilet, so it would have to be coordinated in that sense. Along with the flooring. Whole thing sounds like a pain in the a** to me actually - lol.

Luckily for me I have three bathrooms in this house.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Donald G wrote:No big deal pepsilover ...

As westsyde105 says "closing it in" is putting your insulation, vapor barrier, floor, walls and ceiling (back) in and doing the finishing.

Sometimes in older houses you find some pretty old and disintegrating "stuff" in the sewer, water and electrical systems. It is easy to examine them when you have everything "opened up".

Hi Donald, see above post. I think I was confused because my renovation is a bit lighter than you thought it was. Maybe 'redecorating' is a better word? Somehow it feels like more than decorating - lol.

Re the exhaust fan, good point though. I will probably get up on my stepladder with my trusty can of compressed air and give it a blow - :)
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

yes do that Pepsi with the exhaust fan..if you can actually take the guts right out ( should be a few screws and unclip) then clean it ...we took ours right out and man what a difference...works like brand new !!

may I make another suggestion , if you haven't already bought the toilet, buy a "higher" toilet...it sure helps with pee splash (that men tend to do)
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

westside105 wrote:yes do that Pepsi with the exhaust fan..if you can actually take the guts right out ( should be a few screws and unclip) then clean it ...we took ours right out and man what a difference...works like brand new !!

may I make another suggestion , if you haven't already bought the toilet, buy a "higher" toilet...it sure helps with pee splash (that men tend to do)

Ha! re: pee splash. No concerns. I like the low toilets:) Thing is I got a GREAT DEAL on a sink at Home Depot but then the toilet I liked was over $300. Sigh.........I haven't bought it yet but want one that will be a water saver. Water bills here on the westside are getting increasingly ridiculous!
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

all the new toilets are water savers..I was very surprised (and pleased) on how much of a difference a newer toilet is to the old ones...

all the newer ones have smaller tanks and quicker flushes..a regular toilet costs about $130, a "higher" toilet (excellent for pee splashes and for those who can't go too low) is about a $100 more...

just a suggestion :)
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I would remove any fixtures and paint before replacing them as well as the flooring. Less chance of getting paint on them. :D
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

westside105 wrote:all the new toilets are water savers..I was very surprised (and pleased) on how much of a difference a newer toilet is to the old ones...

all the newer ones have smaller tanks and quicker flushes..a regular toilet costs about $130, a "higher" toilet (excellent for pee splashes and for those who can't go too low) is about a $100 more...

just a suggestion :)

Haha, I know the toilet is expensive/maybe overpriced but it is 'designer' and matches the on in my main bath. I like the 'style' of it. It was brand new out about a month and a half ago, so I'll watch for it to go down in price.

I also have two grandsons (small) so lower is better (re: pee splashes - lol)

Return to “Creative Endeavours”