Height restrictions on fences and hedges?

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.

Height restrictions on fences and hedges?

Postby two_shoes1mit » Jun 19th, 2016, 8:25 am

I know there are height restrictions on fences in a yard...............in place so as not to block view, sun, etc. What about
height restrictions on cedar hedges, especially when they are getting to about 40 feet tall.

We have moved our garden beds three time now due to lack of sun and by seasons end the roots of the cedars have filled the beds.

Have spoke to the neighbour and be became quite aggressive when it was suggested he remove some or reduce their height.

What would you do???????
two_shoes1mit

Liked in: 25 posts

Re: Height restrictions on fences and hedges?

Postby looking4one » Jun 19th, 2016, 8:44 am

You have the right to cut anything that is on your side of the property line, including roots and branches.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
looking4one
Übergod

Liked in: 529 posts

Postby LANDM » Jun 19th, 2016, 9:53 am

If you are sure there are no water or gas lines along the border, dig deeply along the length of the border, on your side of course, and it will sever any and all roots coming onto your property. Unfortunately, it may kill the cedars on their side, but that will sort out the root problem......and, perhaps the shade problem. :200:
You can rent little backhoes that would be dandy for this task.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 2351 posts

Postby Fancy » Jun 19th, 2016, 10:02 am

two_shoes1mit wrote:What would you do???????

Be careful before chopping neighbouring tree roots - I'd be looking at what the legal ramifications are before doing anything drastic.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... e12698935/
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Liked in: 4830 posts

Postby vinnied » Aug 31st, 2016, 7:39 pm

^^ cool, my neighbor's been complaining about our monster trees for years, nice to find out hes now liable for half the removal costs.
vinnied
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 537 posts

Postby vegas1500 » Aug 31st, 2016, 9:24 pm

Find the roots on your side, drill a small hole, insert roundup.....problem solved :up:

lightspeed likes this post.
vegas1500
Board Meister

Liked in: 792 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Sep 1st, 2016, 1:09 pm

Root pruning ought not do any damage if done with the old "1/3" rule. Remember, when shrubs are transplanted most of the roots are cut off, and generally survive quite nicely.

So if the roots were a problem for me, I would find the ends of them, then go back half the distance to the shrub and root prune with a sharp spade (steel shank boots help). Then the following year go back to about 2 ft from the property line, root prune to there. Repeat the close to property line root prune as necessary.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 5590 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Sep 6th, 2016, 1:22 pm

I'd speak to the neighbor about the problem.

If the neighbor isn't willing to help, I'd cut the roots/branches where I want to place my garden and hope they die.

That court ruling was in Ontario and has no impact here, it's also a fundamentally different case. Way easier to beg forgiveness...
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 800 posts

Return to Creative Endeavours