Mystery Squash

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Kguy

Mystery Squash

Post by Kguy »

I have a squash that I never planted that is growing among my tomatoes.

I am having a hard time identifying it. I am curious about what it is, it is growing in half of a wooden barrel which doesn't have a lot of room, so I am hoping that it is not a pumpkin or other large squash.

I have tried 3 times now to attach photos but I guess I am not doing it right.

The leaves are broad and slightly jagged on the edges, the flowers are pinky-purple(so far I have only had male flowers) and the buds are in tight clusters of about half a dozen.

I hope this is a good description, If more info is needed I will gladly provide it.
Frisk
Guru

Re: Mystery Squash

Post by Frisk »

Sounds like an eggplant.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

If it's a volunteer cucurbit it could be pretty much anything.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Likely from a seed from last year's crop/compost.

Also likely it's a cross breed - especially if you can't recognize it.

This is super common - however, if it's a cross the resulting product is almost always horrible tasting. I've grown a few mystery squash/pumpkin hybrids. Always fun to see what the end result is - always tastes horrible.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

TylerM4 wrote:Likely from a seed from last year's crop/compost.

Also likely it's a cross breed - especially if you can't recognize it.

This is super common - however, if it's a cross the resulting product is almost always horrible tasting. I've grown a few mystery squash/pumpkin hybrids. Always fun to see what the end result is - always tastes horrible.

Depends upon how you cook them. Pumpkin on the half shell is not great, but roasted seeds and pumpkin pie are great. Spaghetti squash in a pie is not so good, but as a side dish smothered in butter .....now you got something.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

looking4one wrote:
Depends upon how you cook them. Pumpkin on the half shell is not great, but roasted seeds and pumpkin pie are great. Spaghetti squash in a pie is not so good, but as a side dish smothered in butter .....now you got something.

Sure I suppose. The ones I've tried tho - I don't think any recipe would fix. I've tried eating 3 different squash like this and they were either bitter, all seed/no flesh, really woody/tough meat, or just plain had an awful taste. These were cooked in an oven, basted in butter, salt, and brown sugar. Should make anything taste good..

I did some internet research and my experience is pretty typical from what I read.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Chuck em out. Better luck next year.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Many years ago, we had some pumpkins which seemed to be crossed with zucchini. Weirdest looking Jack-o'-lanterns ever... We didn't eat any of them so I don't know how they tasted.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."

Return to “Creative Endeavours”