Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Post by Lady tehMa »

Welcome 2017!

So what are you planning for your gardens this year?

Today I am going to sit down with my Vesey's Catalogue and dream. QK - I haven't had time to look at it before this :/
I haven't failed until I quit.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Post by Bpeep »

I'll be starting a few ornamentals indoors in a few weeks.
Gonna start getting nicer in another 6 weeks.
I can't wait. I love spring so much.
As usual, I'll be adding a few new perennials.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm planning to move a raised garden bed as to free up space in one area and use another area a bit better.

I liked our mix up of different types of cherry tomatoes so much better that I plan to expand on that one this year.

Might remove the grapes and sink in the back fence to provide parking spaces for two people who might want to park close to work but can't so far.

Our garlic beds were downsized last Fall, giving room for more American Gooseberries, a plant I liked very much.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

What I am planning is to try to out-fox the deer on destroying my garden!
I am in the process of researching what flowering annuals they don't like. So far I've read they don't care for heliotrope and marigolds. I know they have a sweet tooth for geraniums. They didn't destroy the canna lilies so I will plant those again.

The tomatoes and peppers will have to be in pots by the house and not out in the smorgasbord open.

I also think I need to invest in one of those Scarecrow sprinklers that are motion activated. Maybe that'll keep them away. :-X
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

They boldly dine out on my wheelbarrel garden design, especially petunias. I can't think that they touched the Wave Pansies though. I had a clump of white wave pansies that survived well.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

I'm going to continue to change plant design to cut down on the amount of work. I have started to add large shrubs to some of the bigger borders and taken out some of the perennials that spread and overwhelm their neighbours. This year I want to focus on adding more large grasses. I could split ones that are already here but I can't do that heavy digging anymore. Besides, they look great as is.
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

I'm going to take my strawberries out of the raised bed and plant them into hanging baskets.
I saw this on google and it looked good. Has anyone else done this?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

two_shoes1mit wrote:I'm going to take my strawberries out of the raised bed and plant them into hanging baskets.
I saw this on google and it looked good. Has anyone else done this?

No, you'll have to let me know how it goes. Might be the answer to my pillbug problem. My only concern would be wintering the plants, wouldn't they die off in a basket? I've seen them planted in rain gutters too, and that looks interesting.
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

I would have to take them out of the baskets and put back into
the beds for the winter. I too had pill bugs and spiders on them in the beds.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I will try that also with my millions of overgrowth strawberry plants. Need more? PM me in late June.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

The first Okanagan Seedy Saturday has been announced.

Keremeos, at the Old Grist Mill on February 11, 2017

Twenty-seven years ago, our then-Head Gardener, Sharon Rempel, founded a little something called “Seedy Saturday” that has since become an incredibly popular way, across Canada, to share seeds, knowledge and community.

The Grist Mill and Gardens invites you to our Visitors Centre and Apple House on February 11th, from 10am -2pm, for our very own Seedy Saturday to exchange seeds and share knowledge.

Be sure to start looking through your seed boxes and cupboards to see if you have anything you’d like to share with others as part of our big seed swap table. Also, please invite anyone else you know who might be interested in this event.

ADMISSION IS BY DONATION with partial proceeds going to support the exceptional work of Seeds of Diversity, and in particular their Canadian Seed Library–a collection of over 2300 regionally-adapted and rare seed varieties–some of which have a very close connection with our site.

Our kitchen will be serving coffee, tea, baked goodies and lunch.

If you’ve got seeds you’d like to sell or swap and need a table, please get in touch with us as soon as possible at [email protected] or 250-499-2888.

Grist Mill and Gardens in Keremeos
2691 Upper Bench Rd SS 4, Keremeos, British Columbia V0X 1N4

http://www.oldgristmill.ca/event/seedy-saturday-at-the-mill-2017/
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

And then Oliver

Oliver Seedy Sunday

Sunday February 19, 2017 10 to 2
Oliver Community Centre 6359 Park Drive
Oliver, BC

Organic/ngmo seed & plant vendors, honey, local produce, juice, food products, organic skincare, upcycled furniture, seed swap. Master Gardeners onsite. Workshops tba. Admission by donation. Proceeds supporting the Naramata Farmers Market & Seeds of Diversity
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Penticton
Penticton Seedy Saturday

Saturday February 25, 2017 10 to 2
Okanagan College 583 Duncan Ave West
Penticton, ON

14th Annual Seedy Saturday
Organic/ngmo seed and plant vendors, local produce, honey, juice, food products, organic body care products, cheese, Seed Swap sponsored by Penticton Community Gardens. Master Gardeners onsite. Workshops tba. Admission by donation, proceeds supporting the Naramata Farmers Market and Seeds of Diversity

Kamloops isn't in the Okanagan, but it's close enough for a day trip
Kamloops Seedy Saturday

Saturday March 18, 2017 9:30 to 1:30
OLPH Parish Center 635 Tranquille Rd
Kamloops, BC

CELEBRATE LOCAL FOOD PRODUCTION

Local, Heritage and Heirloom Seeds available.

Organic Gardening Supplies, Soil Amendments, Tools, Resources.

Community Groups and Workshops

BUY or EXCHANGE SEEDS, PLANTS, ROOT STOCK

Teahouse and Eats Amore Food Truck

Childrens Activities

LOTS OF DOOR PRIZES

Admission $2 per person. Seniors, Students or Transit Pass holders No Charge

Summerland

Summerland Seedy Saturday

Saturday March 25, 2017 10 to 2
tba
Summerland, ON

Organic/ngmo seed and plant vendors, local produce, honey, juice, cheese, organic body care products. Seed Swap sponsored by Penticton Community Gardens. Master Gardeners onsite. Workshops tba. Admission by donation, proceeds supporting Summerland Friends of the Garden & Seeds of Diversity

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Peachland Seedy Saturday

Peachland Seedy Saturday

Saturday April 1, 2017 10 to 2
Peachland Community Centre 4450 6 St
Peachland, BC

Organic/ngmo seed and plant vendors, local produce, honey, juice, cheese, organic body care products, seed swap table. Admission by donation. Master Gardeners onsite. Workshops tba. Admission by donation, proceeds supporting Naramata Farmers Market and Seeds of Diversity.

It took some doing to find the Kelowna one - because it will be held in West Kelowna

Welcome to the Westside! Kelowna Seedy Saturday is scheduled for Saturday, March 11, 2017 at the Westbank Community Centre, 2466 Main St., West Kelowna, V4T 1Z1.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yahoooo, I have March 11th off!

Return to “Creative Endeavours”