Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Gardening 2017: Fruits, Veggies, Flowers

Post by Queen K »

I bought a new to me variety of pea, Alaska. Never tried them before so here's to hoping.
Got Telephone Peas too. They grow tall. Sloot do you want to try a handful? I have experience with them from years ago and they will grow quite tall.

I find it's better to buy canning tomatoes by the case load and grow eating varieties. Lots of different coloured cherry tomatoes did us well last year.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

slootman wrote:
Anyone else feel suddenly rushed now that it finally warmed up? :digging:

Yes! I still have perennials to split/move and those pesky weeds are starting to poke up and are distracting me. It is the stage in my gardening that I set my mind on doing one thing and 4 hours later I realize I haven't even started it yet. Drat.
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I came in to get a sweater on, it's that cold out. Getting more done. Nice to have a break yesterday though.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oddly enough, I've had a bit of a garden break today. And here I thought I'd get more down today, but nope.
wf1992

Post by wf1992 »

Bman wrote:K everyone. Fess up.
What ya growing for a tomato variety this year?
And are they determinate or indeterminate?
I haven't started any yet- I will pretty soon .
My keystone giant peppers are all sprouted.
I grow lots of them. I don't grow many tomatoes , like 4 of them, but I grow indeterminates 7 or 8 ft high and I can't eat what I get off one .

My standards are: early girl, lemon boy, sweet million, sun sugar, and a roma of some sort. I also usually end up with black cherry (because they're op and I've always had volunteers). And a determinate gold nugget, because it used to fruit super early in a barrel on the deck. This will be the first year trying them all here. Since I've more room now, I'm also growing black krim. And I've started a couple stupice. I picked up those seeds some years ago because it's supposed to tolerate cool weather and so be really early, but have never tried them. Guess we'll see.

I'm always anxious growing from seed, so I plant extras, and then almost all come up. I don't think I'll have room for them all, let alone be able deal with the tomatoes if they all produced :200:
wf1992

Post by wf1992 »

Has anyone grown edamame? Haven't found seeds yet, and wondering if they'd even grow here?

I'm tired of my yard & garden squishing. I was all psyched to plant potatoes, but when I started to dig last week, found standing water. And after this week's weather, I'm back to waiting for the surface puddles to drain :-X
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

If you have too many tomatoes google "roasted tomatoes" and you'll get a hundred different ways to roast them.

We NEVER have too many now.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:200: :200: :200: :200: Red and White flowers are disappearing fast. We went to The Greenry with the intention to buy peat moss for the blueberries.

As usual, I could not resist looking a the flowers and noticed something, only a few left of red petunias and not much more in the white department. I had to make a decision and fast. Is it really going to be red and white for Canada's Bday?

Then it was all a blur.
No self control.
No thought to what I told Slootman yesterday, "I"m not buying yet because the gardens need the second chance to sprout the volunteers..." YA RIGHT.

Sloot, I caved, I really caved. It's going to be a red and white extravaganza around here.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Got my beer . Got my first smokies of the year hot off the BBQ . Got in my hammock . And it started to rain . Peas are popping up . Grapes are trying to adjust to their new home . Blackberries don't look like they are doing so good yet . Onions are up 3 different types popping up . Potatoes are still in the ground have not popped . One jalapeño left from 18 I sprouted in Feb. I was hoping for an early spring.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Tomorrow I'm off to the garden sales at Guisachan and H2O.

I'm not actually looking for anything, but I'll probably find something I have to bring home :admin:
I haven't failed until I quit.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

Awesome Queenie! What did you find? I planted raspberries yesterday. Still deciding spots for other berry plants.

I'm moving stuff from indoors to outdoors this weekend. Tomatoes and dahlias (red and white striped for Canada) I will likely end up at the greenery too. :biggrin:

Does anyone here grow hops?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:cry: it's so nice to see the Tulameens get a good home. I'll give a good flower report tomorrow.

Finally got the peat moss for the blue berries and the neighbour is taking that wood waste out tomorrow. Ya!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

slootman wrote:Awesome Queenie! What did you find? I planted raspberries yesterday. Still deciding spots for other berry plants.

I'm moving stuff from indoors to outdoors this weekend. Tomatoes and dahlias (red and white striped for Canada) I will likely end up at the greenery too. :biggrin:

I haven't - but I'm not a beer fan. Will you be brewing, slootman? I found this https://www.cog.ca/uploads/TCOG%20Articles/How%20to%20Grow%20Hops.PDF

I thought I heard they can be invasive, but I couldn't find anything to that effect.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

wf1992 wrote:Has anyone grown edamame? Haven't found seeds yet, and wondering if they'd even grow here?

I'm tired of my yard & garden squishing. I was all psyched to plant potatoes, but when I started to dig last week, found standing water. And after this week's weather, I'm back to waiting for the surface puddles to drain :-X

Edamame (soybean) grows well here.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

slootman wrote:Awesome Queenie! What did you find? I planted raspberries yesterday. Still deciding spots for other berry plants.

I grow hops.
I grow cascade and centennial.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”