Advice on getting into a farmers market please help

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
summersolstice62

Advice on getting into a farmers market please help

Post by summersolstice62 »

I am an artisan baker and I want to get into a farmers market. I have a good safe and are well versed in the interior health requirements for what I am doing. I'm looking for advice on where to start with farmers markets. How much product should I have and how many varieties on each type of product I will be making. What market should I try to start with too. I'm new to the farmers market but a well seasoned traditional baker.
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Advice on getting into a farmers market please help

Post by Jflem1983 »

What farmers market . Kelowna already has a large bread truck . It has served the market for as long as I have gone there . Might be hard to break in to that market.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

It all depends on the market and your competition.

If you can, bring a small oven and bake something while you're selling. The smell will attract many, and nothing screams "Quality Fresh" like watching it baking in front of you.

Many people arrive hungry and food at the markets is limited selection and generally greasy typical food truck stuff or pre-made and wrapped in plastic. I see an opportunity here - you could sell/make fresh sandwiches made from your products. You'll have a lineup for sure as many don't want the typical food truck food - Farmers market customers are a little more interested in healthy eating/living than the average Joe.
summersolstice62

Post by summersolstice62 »

What I will be offering is fudge muffins and cookies eventually adding gluten free and vegan options. I'm also working on diabetic friendly options that will taste no different than the regular stuff. What I need to know is from other market vendors how much product I should estimate for my first day I already bake for 5 people and no not my friends. I would also like to know from the average joe how big of a selection should i have on my first day. West bank, Kelowna, Lake Country, Peachland, and maybe Rutland.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

U might get into the kelowna market . Sounds like u have a niche . It draws good crowds
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Don't bank on getting into the kelowna market unless you're certed by interior health.
Just a food safe cert isn't enough.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

summersolstice62 wrote:What I will be offering is fudge muffins and cookies eventually adding gluten free and vegan options. I'm also working on diabetic friendly options that will taste no different than the regular stuff. What I need to know is from other market vendors how much product I should estimate for my first day I already bake for 5 people and no not my friends. I would also like to know from the average joe how big of a selection should i have on my first day. West bank, Kelowna, Lake Country, Peachland, and maybe Rutland.

I've helped setup many tables over the years but never my own.

I don't think anyone is going to be able to answer your question with accuracy. A lot of this answer depends on how busy the market is that day (time of year/date). It also depends on the presentation and the pricing. The only person who could answer would be another baker selling similar products and he/she isn't likely to be offering assistance to the competition.

About all I can say is that the people who I've assisted (mostly farmers selling fruit/veggies) tend to walk away a little disappointed on their 1st day. To make it worthwhile you typically need to sell your goods at a higher cost than grocery store pricing. Higher quality so people will buy, but it really depends on what your pricing will be.

My observation has been the following:
Significantly higher than grocery store - slow sales day.
Slightly higher than grocery store - decent sales.
Match grocery store - now you're doing good business.
Cheaper than grocery store - you'll likely sell out.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Also recognize that the kelowna market is a juried market with a fairly long waiting list of potential vendors.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”