Ant Keeping

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.

Ant Keeping

Postby dennisle » May 10th, 2017, 11:40 am

Hi guys!

I'm just curious as to if anyone in the Okanagan keeps ants?

I've just started creating my own formicariums, and would love to see if there is any interest as to whether people like em or not?
Ant keeping is a fun and educational hobby, great for both kids and adults. It is truly a rewarding experience.

I'm still playing around with the design, switching to smaller magnets, instead of the big ceramic ones.

Hope to hear from you guys!

2 people like this post.
dennisle

Liked in: 4 posts

Re: Ant Keeping

Postby vegas1500 » May 10th, 2017, 8:29 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 11th, 2017, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic

2 people like this post.
vegas1500
Board Meister

Liked in: 785 posts

Postby lightspeed » May 11th, 2017, 12:00 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 11th, 2017, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"
lightspeed
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1622 posts

Postby What_the » May 11th, 2017, 1:29 pm

That's really cool! I've heard of ant farms but never seemed so grand as that. Are they much work in the sense like a fish tank? Cleaning tanks and filters etc.

How do you feed them ?
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Liked in: 621 posts

Postby dennisle » May 12th, 2017, 9:02 am

To feed them, all you do is give them some insects, honey/ sugar water. All I do is drop em in there. For the honey I just smear a bit somewhere for them to get. For cleaning, just a wipe on the sides of the glass and container is fine, removing old food sometimes so it doesn't mold. The ant's really maintain themselves a lot, as they are a very socially sophisticated insect.

As for the two gentlemen that love to kill em, I wouldn't want a nest in my home either :biggrin: , I may have used Raid here and there.

2 people like this post.
dennisle

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby Catsumi » Aug 12th, 2017, 7:45 pm

Commendable! Good on you to have quiet (non-barking, yowling) pets. No plastic bags needed for poop pickup, no fenced parks, no licenses to purchase annually. (Oops, bylaws may catch on, sorry)
I can and WILL spray mercaptans all over your ill-considered & vacuous statements.
Don't bring peashooters to a gunfight.
Catsumi
Board Meister

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby Poindexter » Sep 6th, 2017, 9:51 am

Turned out we were keeping ants last winter as well. We'd see the odd one or two in the basement so didn't think much of it until we pulled the beer fridge away from the wall. Had an entire colony huddled under the fridge compressor for warmth right on the bare cement. Poor little buggers almost made it to spring but not quite as a massacre quickly ensued.

2 people like this post.
Poindexter
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3227 posts

Postby RustyCrayon » Sep 24th, 2017, 1:24 pm

I am not at all interested in ant keeping.
They are trying to get in now that the weather is changing. Came home a few days ago to find a 20 foot long trail of odorous house ants going from the cedar hedge, across the driveway and to the house. Thousands of them marching along...
I have been battling them with sprays and bait. What a pain in the _ _ _ ! :swear:
RustyCrayon
Fledgling

Liked in: 201 posts

Postby Lore » Sep 24th, 2017, 4:08 pm

RustyCrayon wrote:I am not at all interested in ant keeping.
They are trying to get in now that the weather is changing. Came home a few days ago to find a 20 foot long trail of odorous house ants going from the cedar hedge, across the driveway and to the house. Thousands of them marching along...
I have been battling them with sprays and bait. What a pain in the _ _ _ ! :swear:

Did you try the boric acid/icing sugar?
Or did you and it did not work?
Lore
Übergod

Liked in: 157 posts

Postby Catsumi » Sep 24th, 2017, 5:34 pm

My Avatar, the dear little black and white creature on left side of screen, informs me that ants make a terrific sidedish with chilli, and best eaten with a brisk washdown of a Californian Red, not too tart, but just a hint of tanin on the upper palate.

Also a couple of ants, dipped in chocolate, makes a lovely dessert item at the end of a heavier repast.

:biggrin:
I can and WILL spray mercaptans all over your ill-considered & vacuous statements.
Don't bring peashooters to a gunfight.
Catsumi
Board Meister

Liked in: 302 posts

Postby Bman » Sep 24th, 2017, 7:54 pm

Lore wrote:

Did you try the boric acid/icing sugar?
Or did you and it did not work?

Dissolve the boric acid in water first then mix it with some jelly.
Most ants won't eat the granular acid or carry it back to the nest.
Works way better.
Is the world getting stupider, or is it just getting easier for stupid people to have their thoughts heard?

2 people like this post.
Bman
Mindquad

Liked in: 8096 posts

Return to Creative Endeavours