Ant Keeping

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
dennisle

Ant Keeping

Post by dennisle »

Hi guys!

I'm just curious as to if anyone in the Okanagan keeps ants?

I've just started creating my own formicariums, and would love to see if there is any interest as to whether people like em or not?
Ant keeping is a fun and educational hobby, great for both kids and adults. It is truly a rewarding experience.

I'm still playing around with the design, switching to smaller magnets, instead of the big ceramic ones.

Hope to hear from you guys!
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Ant Keeping

Post by vegas1500 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 11th, 2017, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 11th, 2017, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

That's really cool! I've heard of ant farms but never seemed so grand as that. Are they much work in the sense like a fish tank? Cleaning tanks and filters etc.

How do you feed them ?
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
dennisle

Post by dennisle »

To feed them, all you do is give them some insects, honey/ sugar water. All I do is drop em in there. For the honey I just smear a bit somewhere for them to get. For cleaning, just a wipe on the sides of the glass and container is fine, removing old food sometimes so it doesn't mold. The ant's really maintain themselves a lot, as they are a very socially sophisticated insect.

As for the two gentlemen that love to kill em, I wouldn't want a nest in my home either :biggrin: , I may have used Raid here and there.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Commendable! Good on you to have quiet (non-barking, yowling) pets. No plastic bags needed for poop pickup, no fenced parks, no licenses to purchase annually. (Oops, bylaws may catch on, sorry)
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Turned out we were keeping ants last winter as well. We'd see the odd one or two in the basement so didn't think much of it until we pulled the beer fridge away from the wall. Had an entire colony huddled under the fridge compressor for warmth right on the bare cement. Poor little buggers almost made it to spring but not quite as a massacre quickly ensued.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

I am not at all interested in ant keeping.
They are trying to get in now that the weather is changing. Came home a few days ago to find a 20 foot long trail of odorous house ants going from the cedar hedge, across the driveway and to the house. Thousands of them marching along...
I have been battling them with sprays and bait. What a pain in the _ _ _ ! :swear:
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

RustyCrayon wrote:I am not at all interested in ant keeping.
They are trying to get in now that the weather is changing. Came home a few days ago to find a 20 foot long trail of odorous house ants going from the cedar hedge, across the driveway and to the house. Thousands of them marching along...
I have been battling them with sprays and bait. What a pain in the _ _ _ ! :swear:

Did you try the boric acid/icing sugar?
Or did you and it did not work?
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

My Avatar, the dear little black and white creature on left side of screen, informs me that ants make a terrific sidedish with chilli, and best eaten with a brisk washdown of a Californian Red, not too tart, but just a hint of tanin on the upper palate.

Also a couple of ants, dipped in chocolate, makes a lovely dessert item at the end of a heavier repast.

:biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Lore wrote:

Did you try the boric acid/icing sugar?
Or did you and it did not work?

Dissolve the boric acid in water first then mix it with some jelly.
Most ants won't eat the granular acid or carry it back to the nest.
Works way better.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

dennisle wrote:To feed them, all you do is give them some insects, honey/ sugar water. All I do is drop em in there. For the honey I just smear a bit somewhere for them to get. For cleaning, just a wipe on the sides of the glass and container is fine, removing old food sometimes so it doesn't mold. The ant's really maintain themselves a lot, as they are a very socially sophisticated insect.

As for the two gentlemen that love to kill em, I wouldn't want a nest in my home either :biggrin: , I may have used Raid here and there.

I had some ants attack a wall in a garage. Likely carpenter ants I must ask is there a odor with these ants? The smell in the wall was amazing, smelt like Limburger cheese, strong and sour odor.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

Ken7 wrote:I had some ants attack a wall in a garage. Likely carpenter ants I must ask is there a odor with these ants? The smell in the wall was amazing, smelt like Limburger cheese, strong and sour odor.

I'm battling odorous house ants right now. They definitely have a smell when you startle or crush them. Smells like a musty rotten coconut or sour decomposing pine.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:132: pretty sure this is the ant "keeping" thread, not ant "killing". Or else Vegas1500's comment has to be put back. :130:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

That's pretty cool - I don't think I know anyone who's kept ants before. What purpose are the magnets?
Non illegitimi carborundum est.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”