Ant Keeping

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.

Re: Ant Keeping

Postby Bsuds » Dec 26th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Sige wrote:That's pretty cool - I don't think I know anyone who's kept ants before. What purpose are the magnets?

It's how they navigate.

https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/201 ... compasses/
I have never tried Yoga but I bent over to pick up my keys once so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 10442 posts

Postby Catsumi » Dec 26th, 2017, 7:21 pm

If you google "carpenter ants odours" you can determine the difference between them and termites. Both can cause damage to wooden structures.

(Sorry, I can't figure how to do links from ipad).
nothing wrong with being open minded as long as your brains don't fall out.
Catsumi
Übergod

Liked in: 1763 posts

Postby chetgunderson » Apr 22nd, 2018, 9:04 am

Ants are fascinating (when they aren't in your house, of course). Here's the extreme of ant keeping. Good luck to you!

https://www.youtube.com/user/AntsCanada/videos
chetgunderson

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby Poindexter » Apr 22nd, 2018, 9:47 am

chetgunderson wrote:Ants are fascinating (when they aren't in your house, of course). Here's the extreme of ant keeping. Good luck to you!

https://www.youtube.com/user/AntsCanada/videos

Watched this Ants Canada video and it actually raised a few alarm bells with me.

So is it actually legal for ant farm hobbyists to import species like bullet ants for thier collections? These are large and aggressive ants whose colonies are extremely resilient because they are one of the few ants that can create a new queen when the old one dies. I'm no expert so would like the opinion of someone who knows more, but seems to me we've been down this road before with evasive species that started off as pets.

2 people like this post.
Poindexter
Guru

Liked in: 3969 posts

Postby Catsumi » Apr 22nd, 2018, 4:08 pm

Ants are truly amazing. I watched a parade of leaf cutters in Costa Rica for an hour or so. They have large guard ants proecting the pathway that the smaller leaf cutters must travel with their snippet of greenery to their nest where they masticate and then spit it out. The green mash turns into a fungus found nowhere else and is their food source. To me the ants looked like mini sailboats with bright green sails.

The honeypot ants have dedicated individuals that imbibe honeydew (?) and become rounded food jars that refresh the rest of the colony when needed.

E.o.Wilson, world authority on ants has written many scientific articles and a comprehensive book (800 pages if i remember correctly) on ant species, their fascinating habits, and their place in the environment.

Apparently fire ants are on the move, northward bound as the climate warms. Something evil this way comes. :200:
Catsumi
Übergod

Postby oldtrucker » Apr 24th, 2018, 9:27 am

One could say that you are ranching wingless wasps as ants evolved from wasps.
Some would view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them...That should just about cover why some nations are laughing at how soft and weak we have become.
oldtrucker
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 446 posts

Postby Catsumi » Apr 24th, 2018, 9:42 am

^^^^interesting, I didn't know that. Thankx :biggrin:

Had the ants been trainable they'd have been great replacements in the flea circus racket. Visibility first, foremost.
Catsumi
Übergod

Previous

Return to Creative Endeavours