Peas' and possibly more Peas'

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.

Peas' and possibly more Peas'

Postby Relentless » Jun 29th, 2017, 8:39 pm

Okay, so my sugar snap peas will soon be done.
Has anyone ever tried a second planting, say in the middle of July?
Too hot?
I really want to give it a try just to see for myself...
And even if they are ready in mid September......so what...

Please share your experience if you have tried this.
Many thanks in advance! :up:
There is only one party to vote for Oct 2019 - Peoples Party of Canada - Be part of the solution, not the problem! Get Educated!
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 550 posts

Re: Peas' and possibly more Peas'

Postby Queen K » Jul 2nd, 2017, 10:25 pm

Hi, I recall that the type of pea that does ok in hot weather is "Wanda" but other than that I've got nothing to add.

Come into the Gardening Thread with questions like this, might get quicker answers? :130:
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong. Cash: Your last form of privacy. Use it or lose it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14698 posts

Postby prairieflower » Jul 3rd, 2017, 12:48 am

UltraViolet wrote:Okay, so my sugar snap peas will soon be done.
Has anyone ever tried a second planting, say in the middle of July?
Too hot?
I really want to give it a try just to see for myself...
And even if they are ready in mid September......so what...

Please share your experience if you have tried this.
Many thanks in advance! :up:

Hi, we always do a 2nd planting...ours up in Glenrosa are just about ready now, so will most likely do another plant in late July early August depending on the weather.. we don't get as many, but it is still nice to have fall peas. Good luck!

Relentless likes this post.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 151 posts

Postby Queen K » Jul 3rd, 2017, 7:44 am

We didn't get as many peas either, I wondered if it was the late wet Spring and fewer pollinators?
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong. Cash: Your last form of privacy. Use it or lose it.

prairieflower likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Relentless » Jul 3rd, 2017, 5:13 pm

prairieflower wrote:Hi, we always do a 2nd planting...ours up in Glenrosa are just about ready now, so will most likely do another plant in late July early August depending on the weather.. we don't get as many, but it is still nice to have fall peas. Good luck!

Hey...... many Thanks for the input!
Mine are 6-7 feet tall right now and full of peas, the best crop ever!
I was thinking to re-plant in another 2 weeks when they are totally done, and will try it, even if the yield is only half.
I plant mine in potting soil, use Miracle grow every week, seems to work really well.
95% came up this this, I never had that before, when I just planted in dirt.
There is only one party to vote for Oct 2019 - Peoples Party of Canada - Be part of the solution, not the problem! Get Educated!

prairieflower likes this post.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 550 posts

Postby Queen K » Mar 16th, 2019, 5:56 pm

BUMP

Peas!

And they'll be ready to go in soon, right?

I'm going back to Lincolns for some rows.

What does anyone else recommend for this year? And how soon is too soon to put them in? I know they like cold but how early?

Lady tehMa likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Catsumi » Mar 16th, 2019, 6:08 pm

I know you won't listen, but I say NOW is the time.

The little guys will have plenty of time to set down root structure with ability to lap up moisture and Nitrogen. As soon as the sun appears (regularly) they will leaf and climb like monkeys.

Try a few now so next year you will recall how successful your peas were this year. The biggest mistake is planting them late when they appear only to be shot down by heat and dryness.

To everything there is a season, and this is the start of peas, lettuce, radishes, green onion.

O lordy, how I long for a garden plot now. :-X

I'd also plant carrot seed now too. They do well and dodge carrot fly problems that show up later in June. Then I plant again in mid July right to end of July for a spectacular Fall harvest.
People with opinions just go around bothering each other. (S. Gautama)
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (W. Churchill)
Catsumi

Liked in: 4860 posts

Postby prairieflower » Mar 16th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Lol...we normally soak for 2 days, then plant. We still have 1/2 ft of snow here in Glenrosa...spring is coming
...1 day
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 151 posts

Postby Queen K » Mar 16th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Oh no, but you're higher, colder then. Yes, you will get there, hang on PrairieFlower.

Cats, You gunna spray me if I don't try it and I'm still thinking of that April trip.

Yup, this is the year to take a bunch of peas and put them in, hell high water just do it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Catsumi » Mar 16th, 2019, 8:02 pm

It'll work. No need to presoak either.

Snow still where you are Prairiefleur? Try leafblower. :biggrin:

My big event bd celebrations from April 17-21. Art event taking up 6 days time in May, unsure of dates at present.

I am longing to be on the road too. Oversize sunglasses, straw hat, fur blowing and airing out in the winds of the great outback. :biggrin:
People with opinions just go around bothering each other. (S. Gautama)
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (W. Churchill)
Catsumi

Liked in: 4860 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Mar 16th, 2019, 11:05 pm

Catsumi wrote:I know you won't listen, but I say NOW is the time.

The little guys will have plenty of time to set down root structure with ability to lap up moisture and Nitrogen. As soon as the sun appears (regularly) they will leaf and climb like monkeys.

Try a few now so next year you will recall how successful your peas were this year. The biggest mistake is planting them late when they appear only to be shot down by heat and dryness.

To everything there is a season, and this is the start of peas, lettuce, radishes, green onion.

O lordy, how I long for a garden plot now. :-X

I'd also plant carrot seed now too. They do well and dodge carrot fly problems that show up later in June. Then I plant again in mid July right to end of July for a spectacular Fall harvest.

I covered my one bed with the hoop house, hoping that it will warm the bed enough to work the soil. It's rock solid right now :/ Got that done today, might be able to plant peas this week, all going well.

Although, a high of 19 was forecast for Thursday. What happened to Spring? Are we going to vault directly over it, to summer?
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4396 posts

Return to Creative Endeavours