Community shops for woodworking/metalworking in Vernon?

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
holdend

Community shops for woodworking/metalworking in Vernon?

Post by holdend »

Im just wondering if anyone knows of a close community (or some sort of club) shop where you can go to use woodworking/metalworking machinery? Paying or requiring training courses to use is fine...Also surrounding areas would be ok too.
Ryuchi

Re: Community shops for woodworking/metalworking in Vernon?

Post by Ryuchi »

Any luck on this?

I'm looking for something similar in Kelowna. I'm starting up blacksmithing, but have nowhere to work as a renter.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I am also interested in one in Kelowna. I have $35,000 worth of tools but, can't use them where I live. I have thought about starting one. PM me if you would like to talk about it. I would like to hear from others with the same interest.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

Having tools and no shop is the ultimate pain!
If you search on line there is an international (?) club of sorts that rents shop space or a member has space to use. I'm quite sure there's one starting in Kelowna. I'll post a link if I find it.
As for myself I have a 10 x 20 shop with everything on wheels; 3 hp saw, 17 in band saw, miter saw, planer jointer combo, grinder/sander, drill press etc. Fold up welding table, small knee mill on wheels and a 11 x 36 lathe which is bolted to the floor.
If I need room I can roll machines out onto a 6 x 6 deck as long as it's not raining. Full sheets get broken up outside and I can rip up to 8 ft long inside. I'm working on an outside mounted dust collector now but noise is an issue.
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

here you go. I don't know if this helps anyone but....
http://mensshed.ca/
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I have been in touch with the Kelowna chapter. They have the same issue that I have.........NO space.

Great bunch of guys though.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

I had a shop, reasonably well equipped,( wood and auto with hoist) but insurance said this will now be your premium if you open it up to the public and rent time/space out. Sold last year and now starting to build a shop of sorts at the house.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

seewood wrote:I had a shop, reasonably well equipped,( wood and auto with hoist) but insurance said this will now be your premium if you open it up to the public and rent time/space out. Sold last year and now starting to build a shop of sorts at the house.

I was also informed that the insurance costs would make this endeavor prohibitive. I also investigated making it a members only and/or tool + space rental situation.

It's too bad considering, I feel that there is a demand for something of this nature. It would be great for all of the apartment/condo/strata people that could really use a service as this.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

alanjh595 wrote:I was also informed that the insurance costs would make this endeavor prohibitive. I also investigated making it a members only and/or tool + space rental situation.

It just occurred to me the Mountain Equipment model.
One has to purchase a $5.00 share in the company as I was told once upon a time that would prevent any customer suing a company they have a share in.
I'm sure MEC still has liability insurance though. The $5.00 share protects them if the climbing rope you purchased breaks..
Dunno if this would work. Too late to look into in my case...
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

saw this on Craigslist in Langley. Guess they are out there. https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/of ... 83840.html

Return to “Creative Endeavours”