Gardening 2018

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Gardening 2018

Post by alanjh595 »

Are you dedicated to "NOT" using pesticides? Diazinon may help, especially if you can kill them off before next year's crop.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/Diazgen.html
Bring back the LIKE button.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

When I say creatures I mean rats and bunnies.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

WeatherWoman wrote:When I say creatures I mean rats and bunnies.

Try cleaning up the mess in your yard. Rats can and should be killed. You need to find them and kill them. Complaining about rats wont help much.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Sorry, I misunderstood.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Sounds to me like you need a terrier . . .

This is a good article.

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Top-10-Dog-Breeds-Ideal-for-Catching-Rats
I haven't failed until I quit.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Hubby says that to get another pet we have to get rid of a kid. However he is game for a barn cat.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

We had rats and mice last year. Got rid of the compost, killed the vermin and this year it is clear sailing.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

WeatherWoman wrote:Hubby says that to get another pet we have to get rid of a kid.

Sounds like a fair trade off.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Chill
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Time to revive this thread, from rats to plants.

LadyT, pal o' mine, did you not purchase Black krim toms as well? Just curious how they are doing.

Mine, as you will recall, very tiny on June 6th when I received them. They survived and are now getting hefty with a few tiny babies just beginning. I wonder if there is enough summer (or fireseason as it's known now) left for the normal huge toms this variety normally produces.

Wish I could gift all here with zucs. Planted four, what WUZ I thinking? Pulled off giants today, about 25 lbs total. More coming.

Should I be insulted when folks falldown in front of me, gasping "oh hell, you got zucchini breath!"

:biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Just grate up the zucs and freeze two cups at a time. Make zuc cakes and zuc patties! Stir fry with white sweet onions and don't go near anyone for a while. :biggrin:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Yes, tomorrow is Grate the Zuc Day as well as carrots which are huge and shouldn't linger in the ground, splitting.

All those stones produced some very interesting carrot couplings (and tripellings). Very suggestive erotic xxxx stuff.

Who says gardening isn't good for the libido? :smt045
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We picked close to 12 cups of Raspberries yesterday and will freeze most of it today. Still a few on the bushes but that should be it till the second batch in the fall.
Plan on pickling cukes today as well.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

You have cucs already, Bsuds? Mine are just now flowering. Guess it won't be much longer to wait for salad addition of cuc. All my lettuce went to seed so used the pulled out plants as a mulch around tom plants. Less moisture loss, no soil splashbacks when watering (preventing disease), weed deterent, and a head start on composting. That normally is how it goes when I own my own land, but doubt I will be using stoney acres as a garden spot in 2019 as it's just too hard-scrabble for my liking.

Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Catsumi wrote:You have cucs already, Bsuds?

We ordered 20lbs from Don o Rays and they gave us 27. We have been canning all day and ran out of qt jars so did some spears in pints. Will see how those turn out.

All in all we did 34 jars today and we did use our own Garlic but our Dill wasn't ready yet.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”