Gardening 2018

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Gardening 2018

Post by Lady tehMa »

What are you going to do with them?

This has been a very disappointing year in my garden. Except for the grapes - grapes were/are exceedingly bountiful. Tomatoes still ripening slowly, and beets/cukes/onions/lettuce all did poorly.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Banana squash are pure gold, imo.

I cut into long strips, peel off outer shell with my handy-dandypeeler, chop into 1" chunks. Put in microwave proof bowl with lid, cook until tender. Mash and freeze. Better than mashed spuds, or, combine the two as topping on Sheperds Pie, etc.

My toms, due to insufficient water, have cracked tops but that's ok as I peel them anyway for bacon, tom and cheese on pumpernickel, toasted. Black Krims weren't big this year but still one if the tastiest dark red toms ever.

I tore my garden out; got enough zuc for a while.

Grapes, LadyT? Freeze them. :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

My garden sucked again this year. Building a soil base on sand and rocks has been a bit harder than i thought. Harder is the wrong word. More work than i thought. It has been a lot of wheel barrowing. Now trailering with the garden tractor. Loads and loads and loads of nice dirt. Slowly trying to build soil for a garden. After 3 years i have terraformed a nice chunk into somewhat gardenable land.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Jflem1983 wrote:My garden sucked again this year. Building a soil base on sand and rocks has been a bit harder than i thought. Harder is the wrong word. More work than i thought. It has been a lot of wheel barrowing. Now trailering with the garden tractor. Loads and loads and loads of nice dirt. Slowly trying to build soil for a garden. After 3 years i have terraformed a nice chunk into somewhat gardenable land.

I don't understand. Are you saying your soil layer was too thin, hence garden sucked? What were you growing?

Save every scrap of veg and fruit peelings and dig those into the soil. Worms find the treasure trove and help turn it into soil fast. Tried and true as I have done this myself turning so-so ground into richly productive garden. Even dug in chopped straw and loads of leaves and grass clippings collected by pals (avoid dogturds though).
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Catsumi wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:My garden sucked again this year. Building a soil base on sand and rocks has been a bit harder than i thought. Harder is the wrong word. More work than i thought. It has been a lot of wheel barrowing. Now trailering with the garden tractor. Loads and loads and loads of nice dirt. Slowly trying to build soil for a garden. After 3 years i have terraformed a nice chunk into somewhat gardenable land.

I don't understand. Are you saying your soil layer was too thin, hence garden sucked? What were you growing?

Save every scrap of veg and fruit peelings and dig those into the soil. Worms find the treasure trove and help turn it into soil fast. Tried and true as I have done this myself turning so-so ground into richly productive garden. Even dug in chopped straw and loads of leaves and grass clippings collected by pals (avoid dogturds though).

Refuse to compost as there are rats in town.

Yes soil is still thin in too many spots.

Ill keep adding good dirt.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Get some well rotted manure, leaves and grass, dig it all in now and let nature take its course. Next year add a bit more soil.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Agreed. When you dig in veg peelings, manure, etc. the stuff gets coated with dirt. Even rats won't bother with that. It's when you leave it on the surface in the open that you might attract rats.

Tried and true method to improve soil water retention, friability and nutrition for plants and attract worms.

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Catsumi wrote:Banana squash are pure gold, imo.

I cut into long strips, peel off outer shell with my handy-dandypeeler, chop into 1" chunks. Put in microwave proof bowl with lid, cook until tender. Mash and freeze. Better than mashed spuds, or, combine the two as topping on Sheperds Pie, etc.

My toms, due to insufficient water, have cracked tops but that's ok as I peel them anyway for bacon, tom and cheese on pumpernickel, toasted. Black Krims weren't big this year but still one if the tastiest dark red toms ever.

I tore my garden out; got enough zuc for a while.

Grapes, LadyT? Freeze them. :biggrin:

I might have to freeze them, every time I think we've cleared a section, I find more.

My 2 go-to's for squash are butternut and spaghetti, and it doesn't look like any of my squashes fruited! :200:

Because I spent so much time indoors due to the smoke, I had an irregular watering schedule and I don't recall fertilizing once since I planted :135: That might be why some of my plants have failed so spectacularly (cucurbits in particular).

Tomatoes I've had some failures but the Black Krim and Old German have done okay, even if they're only now ripening.

Black Krim.JPG

Black Krim and Old German.JPG

I like my tomatoes large. When you cut one for a sandwich, you can cover a piece of bread with just one slice! :biggrin:
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Lady tehMa wrote:I like my tomatoes large. When you cut one for a sandwich, you can cover a piece of bread with just one slice! :biggrin:

Personally, I like 2 slices to the slice of bread sandwich ratio. WOW, you got some really great squash. GREAT job tehma!
Now just find a cool, dark place to store them in, and you will still be eating them in April.

Just for for your future reference, I love Spaghetti and acorn squash. (I an still looking for what you want) :smt045
Bring back the LIKE button.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

This year I didn't bother staking my tomatoes. They are growing all over the ground, and it's a massive bumper crop. Never had so much luck with them. And this is is despite the fact that we just had the coldest summer in 13 years.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

News said there is a risk of frost tonight in case
anyone has tomatoes still on the vine.
Just covered all mine with sheets.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Take care when lifting those sheets off in the a.m.

Might find some Airbnb folk wanting croissants and cafe au lait.

Unknown
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Lore wrote:News said there is a risk of frost tonight in case
anyone has tomatoes still on the vine.
Just covered all mine with sheets.

Yup, going to harvest my oodles of tomatoes tonight.

P.S. Here's my mom's neighbour harvesting her carrots today... .

carots.jpg

carrots1.jpg

carrots2.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

If anyone wants to get rid of leaves you can drop them off at my house :)
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I spotted a load of leaves in the back of the truck of a prof. landscaper and asked for them to be delivered. Less than a block away, here's the addy, and she did it! Yahoooo.

Also, the progress on our trunk and roots is amazing. :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Creative Endeavours”