Brakes

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Brakes

Post by Always Sunny »

First, I’ll plead ignorant, I’ve never kept a vehicle long enough to need new brakes. However, I’ve stuck it out with this one long enough to start shopping for new ones.

I’ve received different advice on whether or not to go through the dealership, or another body shop. Quality-wise am I better off going through my dealership where I have the bulk of my maintenance done? Does it make a difference?

I guess the question is, would a dealership use the same brakes my car was built with, or a lesser quality? From what I gather I’ve gotten quite a bit more mileage from these than would be typical (over 230,000km and the dealer only suggesting to think a bit replacing the rear ones) so obviously those particular brakes are pretty solid.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Brakes

Post by TreeGuy »

Shop rates can be higher at the dealership and brake jobs are very easy to do, I’d take it to a regular shop. If you go to a shop you can ask for the OEM replacements or price out a better quality pad.

I put better quality pads on my van because we haul a trailer in the summer.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The pads will probably be the cheapest part of the job so there is no point in going cheap on them.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

All things considered, brakes are pretty reasonable for sure.

Would I be able to get equal quality to what I have now from any old brake place? I certainly don’t mind paying more, especially if they’re going to last me another 200k
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

You can absolutely ask for OEM pads, and they'll get them right from the dealer.

What kind of vehicle if you don't mind me asking?
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Always Sunny wrote:All things considered, brakes are pretty reasonable for sure.

Would I be able to get equal quality to what I have now from any old brake place? I certainly don’t mind paying more, especially if they’re going to last me another 200k

I
Yes. Get an estimate and ask for a break down of the different options. OEM, Middle of the road and top end.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

If one gets the bulk of all work done at the dealership, and happy with how you are treated and
the quality of their work, just stick with them, ask some pertinent questions.
Factory original or better, steer clear of offshore cheapo crap.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

What town/city do you live, as I am sure someone on the forum would be able to suggest a reputable mechanic.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

dirtybiker wrote:If one gets the bulk of all work done at the dealership, and happy with how you are treated and
the quality of their work, just stick with them, ask some pertinent questions.
Factory original or better, steer clear of offshore cheapo crap.

While I'm shopping around for my next set of winter tires (the dealership only carries about 3 brands) I'm very, very happy with my dealership for everything else. I get all of my major servicing done there, but have my basic oil changes and whatnot done elsewhere. Unless the oil changes or filters come due with certain interval services, then we sync them up.

GoStumpy, I've got a 2014 Jetta which I get serviced at Turner VW in town.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Always Sunny wrote: I've got a 2014 Jetta which I get serviced at Turner VW in town.

Went back to them to get my first oil change on my Tiguan and they quoted a ridiculous price. Double elsewhere!
Have never been back.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Bsuds wrote:
Always Sunny wrote: I've got a 2014 Jetta which I get serviced at Turner VW in town.

Went back to them to get my first oil change on my Tiguan and they quoted a ridiculous price. Double elsewhere!
Have never been back.

I have found with VW and Audi ( my wife has always had VW and now and Audi) that yes their oil changes are expensive, but the dealership also is using the full synthetic oil and with the amount she drives it is good for a year. Her last oil change and service was good for 1 year or 16,000km. That might be why it seems so expensive.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bsuds wrote:

Have never been back.
Jhunter199 wrote:
I have found with VW and Audi ( my wife has always had VW and now and Audi) that yes their oil changes are expensive, but the dealership also is using the full synthetic oil and with the amount she drives it is good for a year. Her last oil change and service was good for 1 year or 16,000km. That might be why it seems so expensive.

I get full synthetic where I go. They wanted $265 for the first oil change at Turner. Sorry but that's gouging and yes the recommended oil change interval is 15K. They tried to justify it by telling me everything they check, Sounded like all warranty stuff to me and my place does it all for half that. The only thing they can't do is any software updates.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Yeah I agree $265 is pretty steep, at Audi we pay $135 I believe.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Do your own brakes. Easy to do. You tube is your friend
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

VW Brakes are exceptionally easy to replace, but if you're not already mechanically inclined, it's something best left to someone that knows what they're doing.

Only time I pay to get my brakes done is when it's on a vehicle with pressed in bearings :)
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”