Perfect Pitch

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Perfect Pitch

Post by Glacier »

I'm no roof expert, but someone said that you should really have a roof pitch steeper than a 5:12 in a snowbelt like where I live (the last snowbank in my yard melted yesterday). Now, Part of my roof is very steep like a 15:12 pitch, and this also bad because the 2 feet of snow and ice kept sliding off, and pushed the gutter off one one side (screw you, gravity). I've been told I should install heat tracing so this does happen.

Anyway, what's the idea roof pitch for asphalt shingles? I notice that a lot of newer houses have pitches under 5:12, but that doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but again, I'm not experienced know for sure. If you get a solid foot of snow and ice on your roof for 3 or 4 months straight every winter, I would think 5:12 is too small based upon what I've been told (by a friend who used to do roofing on the coast), and yet I keep seeing houses with this or less going up in the neighbourhood.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Perfect Pitch

Post by LANDM »

Virtually every commercial building has a flat roof. Big White buildings have multiple feet of snow one them for months at a time.
It’s all in the engineering.
When the roof trusses are designed, they will take into consideration the snow load and the roof pitch, of course.
You and 71 others Like this post
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

LANDM wrote:Virtually every commercial building has a flat roof. Big White buildings have multiple feet of snow one them for months at a time.
It’s all in the engineering.
When the roof trusses are designed, they will take into consideration the snow load and the roof pitch, of course.

Yes, I know that, but when you have asphalt shingles, do you have a problem when you have 2 feet of heavy snow on your roof sitting on their damming up and melting all winter long?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

I got 12/12 with a steel roof. No gutters so everything just slides off. Valleys are still a slight problem with build up. Gots to keep the spruce needles clear from time to time. Inside I'm post and beam. 2x10 rafters, thick ridge beams, low spans
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW

Return to “Creative Endeavours”