A/C, window units: home maintenance

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.

A/C, window units: home maintenance

Postby Queen K » Jul 28th, 2018, 11:15 am

I started dusting out the vents in our window a/c unit when Mr. QK said, "those come off."

When I got it off, I also took out the mesh filter.

Oh boy oh boy, the dust, pollen, cat hair!

Cleaned out both a/c window units, put them back together and I swear they work better now.

I noticed the difference right away.

How many other people didn't even know the mesh screens pull out and can be cleaned?

I :130: Ya do now.
Could it be that a whole life can shift the day one starts telling the truth about what makes one happy? ETA: sometimes I out-clever myself and sabatoge happiness. How does that work?

2 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 13282 posts

Re: A/C, window units: home maintenance

Postby Lady tehMa » Jul 28th, 2018, 11:43 am

Yup, first thing I check each time I pull them out. :) Like furnace filters - ours is washable though I'm thinking of getting toss-away ones for the fall.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.

Catsumi likes this post.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3984 posts

Postby Catsumi » Jul 28th, 2018, 12:14 pm

Well, since we are sharing household revelations with C-nuts, here's mine:

Believe it or not, on your vac cleaner you may find a cunningly hidden latch, which, when pressed, reveals a secret compartment. (!)

Once your surprise has subsided, investigation will reveal earrings, squirrels, spare change and house keys that have been mysteriously missing for some time. Amazing also to unearth a bag full of dust, cobwebs and hair. I have been told that this can be discarded and a new bag installed.

I hope this helps someone sometime.

NOW you KNOW !

[icon_lol2.gif]
There is nothing government can give you that it hasn't taken from you in the first place.
Winston Churchill

2 people like this post.
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2664 posts

Postby normaM » Jul 29th, 2018, 4:59 am

Lady - two different furnace companies told me to ditch the washable filter. I replace mine usually every 2 months.
Have known ppl that didn't realize you could remove and wash the filters for the stove vent.
I'm a tab obsessive re cleaning :)
Don't think yourself as an ugly person... Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey

Lady tehMa likes this post.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3396 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Jul 29th, 2018, 6:46 am

normaM wrote:Lady - two different furnace companies told me to ditch the washable filter. I replace mine usually every 2 months.
Have known ppl that didn't realize you could remove and wash the filters for the stove vent.
I'm a tab obsessive re cleaning :)

Really? Good to know!

Yeah, stove vent can get really nasty with grease.

Thanks for the tip, normaM
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3984 posts

Postby Queen K » Jul 29th, 2018, 7:07 am

I take out the stove vent and absolutely soak it in hot soapy water for as long as the heat lasts, drain, and do it again. Then I gently scrub it with a brush. And rinse like crazy in HOT HOT water. Sometimes boiled water.

Washed down my back door yesterday with hot soapy water, wow, what we don't get used to, right?

And thanks for the reminder re the furnace filter.
Could it be that a whole life can shift the day one starts telling the truth about what makes one happy? ETA: sometimes I out-clever myself and sabatoge happiness. How does that work?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Queen K » Jul 29th, 2018, 7:10 am

Catsumi wrote:Well, since we are sharing household revelations with C-nuts, here's mine:

Believe it or not, on your vac cleaner you may find a cunningly hidden latch, which, when pressed, reveals a secret compartment. (!)

Once your surprise has subsided, investigation will reveal earrings, squirrels, spare change and house keys that have been mysteriously missing for some time. Amazing also to unearth a bag full of dust, cobwebs and hair. I have been told that this can be discarded and a new bag installed.

I hope this helps someone sometime.

NOW you KNOW !

[icon_lol2.gif]

HA!

I know a woman who was about to call the installer of her built in vacuum, it wasn't working anymore after four years!

She was flabbergasted when I asked to see the canister, downstairs we went. When I opened it I showed her that the bag in the cannister was so overloaded. "Where was the new vacuumed stuff going to go?" I asked innocently.

She had NEVER thought about where it all goes in the first place.

She changed the bag.

OHHHH it works again! :130:

2 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby normaM » Jul 29th, 2018, 7:49 am

I soak the stove vent overnight.
Also use vinegar and backing soda for the drains. Great, fizzes, kind of rises and then whoosh. Run hot water in the drain for about 15 mins. First the baking soda, then pour the vinegar - like a small science project.
About every 2 weeks I add a cup of bleach to the toilet tank water ( not over the ball) wait 30 mins, flush and the room will smell fresh ( I mean how are you supposed to clean the tank?)

Lady - you will notice a real difference re the filter. I think furnace and A/C works better too.
Don't think yourself as an ugly person... Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Postby Catsumi » Jul 29th, 2018, 7:58 am

A word of warning re adding bleach into toilet tank. Being a cleaning nut myself (vac story a figment) I used to do this until the toilet ran constantly. The bleach had degraded the rubber flap at bottom of tank which now had to be replaced. Lots of trips back and forth finding the precise flap needed.

This is why you never find bleach in spray bottles. The plunger cushion in the spraygun assembly has a rubber part.

To clean the tank I now use a bit of Tide and an old bottle brush. Works fine. [icon_lol2.gif]
There is nothing government can give you that it hasn't taken from you in the first place.
Winston Churchill
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Postby Queen K » Jul 29th, 2018, 8:30 am

You know those vacuum heads with the rollers?

I know people who buy new ones.

DOH!

OH the old one had a tonne load of hair, string, dust, carpet threads, and all kinds of other stuff gunking it all up so the rollers didn't even move anymore.

Ya gotta clean what cleans sometimes ya know?

So out comes the sharp knife to cut it all and gloved hands to pull it out and shake the thing outdoors. In fact do it all outdoors.

Clean the rollers, remove all gunk into the garbage can and even wash the vacuum piece gently on top and the bottom.

Voila! A vacuum which really works again.

Maintenance means checking it for build up every few weeks or even months. :up:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby normaM » Jul 29th, 2018, 10:40 am

but the bristles on the head can wear down Queen making it pretty useless.
Never a prol with the bleach but I will try the Tide trick Cats

normaM
Buddha of the Board

Postby flamingfingers » Jul 29th, 2018, 4:33 pm

For greasy hood vents, the top of the hood itself that collects all kinds of greasy gunk, EasyOff oven cleaner is the cat's meow!

Remove the mesh screens from the vents and spray EasyOff on them in the sink, leave for a few minutes and then fill the sink with HOT water - enough to cover the screens and then use a brush to finish the job. Rinse THOROUGHLY! For kitchen dish cloths, dish towels that have inadvertently been left on the job too long, I put them in a SS pot and add a scant (less than 1/8 tsp) of lye (NaOH) and heat the pot to almost a simmer for about half an hour. Stir the towels around a bit and always, ALWAYS use rubber gloves when dealing with any lye solution. And ALWAYS add lye to the water - not water to the lye!!! Lye is darn dangerous stuff.
Give a voice to more people - vote Pro rep!!!

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6397 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Jul 29th, 2018, 6:23 pm

When changing your furnace filters, don't forget to clean your hot air vents and you cold air returns!! I cut to size that green filter stuff that trapped a lot of gross stuff - dog hair, dust bunnies and even a mummified db!!
Give a voice to more people - vote Pro rep!!!

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6397 posts

Postby Catsumi » Jul 29th, 2018, 8:51 pm

flamingfingers wrote:When changing your furnace filters, don't forget to clean your hot air vents and you cold air returns!! I cut to size that green filter stuff that trapped a lot of gross stuff - dog hair, dust bunnies and even a mummified db!!

Ok, I'll bite.

What is a db? Dune buggy? Dead Body? Dirtybiker? Dead bird? :biggrin:
Winston Churchill
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Postby Queen K » Jul 29th, 2018, 9:05 pm

Dust Bunny.

I have no idea why I know that. :popcorn:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Next

Return to Creative Endeavours