Gardening: berries, root veggies, flowers, trees - 2019!

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Gardening: berries, root veggies, flowers, trees - 2019!

Post by Catsumi »

Both of us happy that you are happy with early offerings, and esp with two new ones you will plant. Looking forward!

Too much lettuce, I am greening.

Spent hours deadheading his irises, then raking up trimmings and needles from giant fir clean up which he did.

Then Home: converted 8 lbs of frozen raspberries to juice, ready for jam making. Strained out every last seed. Kitchen is red with splashes. Another cleanup. :200:

Pulled first carrot today. Nope. One week to go.

Flicker nest in old cherry tree hollow. Hold ears close, can hear younglings dithering. Soon they'll be out and about, my favored bird, the Flicker.

Miracles everywhere, outside.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Catsumi wrote:Then Home: converted 8 lbs of frozen raspberries to juice, ready for jam making. Strained out every last seed. Kitchen is red with splashes. Another cleanup. :200:

It's not jam if you don't have seeds.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

You win.

Jelly it is.
:biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

The fun of having homemade raspberry jam is picking the seeds out of the teeth after.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I give most of mine away to some who have dentures. No fun deseeding teeth for them.

Are you trying to make me feel foolish for carefully straining out the seeds??

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I love raspberry jam - my mom always made it. I haven't made it in a few years, ours get eaten off the bush.

Too bad I can't have jam now, eating keto :(

Ah well.

I got the plants in the ground this morning :130:
I haven't failed until I quit.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Catsumi wrote:I give most of mine away to some who have dentures. No fun deseeding teeth for them.

Are you trying to make me feel foolish for carefully straining out the seeds??

No. If you want to deseed the fruit, go for it.

Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Two pounds of raspberry seeds was the end result of straining the juice. I personally have nothing against finding them in jam but wonder if they could cause problems for peeps with diverticulitis?

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

They very well could - husband has been diagnosed with it, so has his mom. Mom suffers more than he does . . .

I'm happy my rhubarb hasn't bolted yet, going to harvest tomorrow
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

I was assured by my gastroenterologist after my colonoscopy showed diverticulosis that I did not ever need to worry about eating any kind of foods with seeds - "That's old thinking." he said. I eat tomatoes with seeds, raspberries, seeded watermelon (love to crunch the seeds), love sunflower and pumpkin seeds all kinds of nuts and whole grain porridge. No problem.
Chill
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Good to know. Thanks for the info FF.

Unknown
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

If in doubt, query your gastroenterologist - your GP may not be that up-to-date yet.
Chill
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Luckily, not my problem. :D However, I did google and found that it is recommended that if you are experiencing a diverticulitis episode to stop ingesting small seeds, such as raspberry, poppy seed and the like.

News, right up to the minute there.

Unknown
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Lady tehMa wrote:I'm happy my rhubarb hasn't bolted yet, going to harvest tomorrow

Did ours two days ago. In the freezer right now waiting for strawberries to mix and then incredible pies... :D
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

My inlaws will be in town today - they're taking a bunch. Hoping their daughter will, as well.

My garden is loving this rain!

Return to “Creative Endeavours”