Mothers Milk Soap

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
sarahpeter

Mothers Milk Soap

Post by sarahpeter »

I was wondering if anyone had any at home soapmaking experience. I have found a recipe for "Mothers Milk Soap" which is homemade soap using breastmilk. I have never made soap at home so I'm looking for someone who would know!
Bottled_Rain
Board Meister

Post by Bottled_Rain »

If you have never made soap before, I would suggest taking a class first. You need heavy duty gloves, eye protection, professional scale and so on.

Soapmaking can be very dangerous and very fussy.....ingredients have to be exact, otherwise the soap might "seize" and not be "soap".

If you don't know what you are doing, you could end up with a "caustic" bar of soap....with too much lye or lye pockets..which will burn you.

Also...if you get lye on yourself, you will get a nasty chemical burn which will not stop burning unless you have vinegar within hands reach to pour on the burn (watch the movie fight club and check out the lye burns on the hands...they are so bad they look like a set of lips on top of the hand").

There is a lady who teaches a class at Okanagan college. I would suggest taking that class first.

BTW....I've never heard of breast milk soap. What is the advantage of using breast milk as opposed to goat's milk or cow milk??

Good luck!
sarahpeter

Post by sarahpeter »

I don't know that it has any benefits over goats or cows milk. I honestly think it's more of a hippie crunchy mom thing than anything. And a way to use expressed breastmilk that you have a lot of. I know you can also make lotion with the breastmilk, something else I've been considering. For me it's sentimental reasons, after my son died I had such an abundance of breastmilk and I just don't have the heart to simply toss it down the drain. Making the milk into soap or lotion, I would feel like I'm putting it to good use and not wasting it.

If you're interested, there's a recipe for Mothers Milk Soap here

http://traditionalmidwife.com/mothersmilksoap.html
Bottled_Rain
Board Meister

Post by Bottled_Rain »

I am very sorry about your son.
Fleshfailures
Board Meister

Post by Fleshfailures »

I'm sorry to hear about your son. I've never made soap before, but I have some links that might help you out:
Soap making: instructions/supplies
Soap making: problems/questions

Hopefully those can help you, I'm not sure if you need a Livejournal account to see them, but I don't think you do.
sarahpeter

Post by sarahpeter »

Thank you:) You are all too kind:)

I will definetely look into it. Thank you all so much:)
Northwynd

Post by Northwynd »

Very sorry to hear of your son, SarahPeter. Hope you are doing okay.

Lots of hugs....
:140: :smt059 :smt051 :smt052 :133: :smt049 :smt054
sarahpeter

Post by sarahpeter »

Aww thanks. Some of the older members might remember when it happened in February (I was sage28 at the time)...
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

sarahpeter wrote:Aww thanks. Some of the older members might remember when it happened in February (I was sage28 at the time)...

Thanks, I was wondering what happened to you. I hope you are doing well.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Bottled_Rain
Board Meister

Post by Bottled_Rain »

sarahpeter wrote:Aww thanks. Some of the older members might remember when it happened in February (I was sage28 at the time)...

I remember because it happened a few days after I met you in person at a G2G. I was pretty shocked. I hope you are holding up okay and feel free to PM me or others if you need someone to talk to. You got married in March too didn't you? (if I remember correctly?)
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

Sarah! I was wondering what happened to you.

*edited by Trip*
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”