Ice fishing

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
brooster

Ice fishing

Post by brooster »

My family and I like to get out and do some ice fishing in the winter. But it is a challange to get into most lakes. We dont have snowmobiles/sleds and just walk in to any lake we can. Went out for the first time this year, on friday and only caught one that was too small to keep. We went up to McCullloch Lk. Last year I bought some used snowshoes and that was fun.
It got us into some more inaccesable areas. I need to get a bigger pair of
snowshoes for myself. The ones that I got are fine for the kids. Man, used
snowshoes are hard to find. Anyway, does anyone have any advice on any different lakes to try? A few years ago we used to go to Arlington Lks
and catch perch, but they stopped plowing the road.
cheers
brooster
BriTer
Guru

Re: Ice fishing

Post by BriTer »

brooster wrote:My family and I like to get out and do some ice fishing in the winter. But it is a challange to get into most lakes. We dont have snowmobiles/sleds and just walk in to any lake we can. Went out for the first time this year, on friday and only caught one that was too small to keep. We went up to McCullloch Lk. Last year I bought some used snowshoes and that was fun.
It got us into some more inaccesable areas. I need to get a bigger pair of
snowshoes for myself. The ones that I got are fine for the kids. Man, used
snowshoes are hard to find. Anyway, does anyone have any advice on any different lakes to try? A few years ago we used to go to Arlington Lks
and catch perch, but they stopped plowing the road.
cheers
brooster

Don't know about the fishing out here, dammit :( but you might try the sports outfitters about used snowshoes. They'd probably be able to point you in the right direction for fishing too.

Maybe Bear Creek Sports up on Springfield??
BriTer
Guru

Re: Ice fishing

Post by BriTer »

brooster
I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forums! :)
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Don't try Headwaters right now - it's not accessible by 4 x 4 - but usually good ice fishing.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Husband says Beaver Lake out of Winfield is readily accessible and there are numerous lakes in that area you should get enjoyment out of.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

If you've got a good 4 wheel drive, I recommend Oyama Lake. There are some nice rainbow trout up there, but you may not use live bait, and it's single barbless hooks only there - but if you're up to a long walk, there is a channel that leads to Streak Lake, no bait bans there. Just check with the lodge for directions.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
brooster

fun stuff

Post by brooster »

Thanks for the info. We tried Beaver last weekend and caught 5 keepers.
We usually play, a buck for the first, a buck for the biggest and a buck
for the most. Since it was only the two of us , my 15 yr old son and I,
we acually tied . The two biggest were to close to call. Cooking them
up tonite.
cheers
brooster

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”