Post UFC 79 Discussion

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
FreeRights
Guru

Post UFC 79 Discussion

Post by FreeRights »

Anyone catch this event?

I saw it at Blue Lines Saturday night. Great UFC event - one of the best, since the good ol' PRIDE Fighting days.

Chuck Liddell vs Wanderlei Silva was a war. I was sad to see Silva lose, but the fight was worthwhile. Too bad it wasn't five rounds...

Anyone else see this? Comments or discussion?
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

who cares...GSP killed that brokeback mountain cowboy Hughes.....

Thats all I tuned in for was that fight..
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Fair enough.

But I'm a hardcore MMA fan, not a casual fan. GSP vs Hughes III was a big fight, but if you follow MMA in Japan years ago as well, then Silva vs Liddell becomes one of the biggest fights in the sport's history.

There's also a big difference in actually watching it. I imagine you view two guys brawling, but I see the technique and strategy used in these matches, because I train MMA myself. Not a knock against you, it's just a different way to view it.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

FreeRights wrote:Fair enough.

But I'm a hardcore MMA fan, not a casual fan. GSP vs Hughes III was a big fight, but if you follow MMA in Japan years ago as well, then Silva vs Liddell becomes one of the biggest fights in the sport's history.

There's also a big difference in actually watching it. I imagine you view two guys brawling, but I see the technique and strategy used in these matches, because I train MMA myself. Not a knock against you, it's just a different way to view it.

Well I follow the UFC and Pride and others that seem to pop up like the world fight league (which I kinda like)

Im just tired of the same old same old from Liddell...I knew he was going to win becuase he is the aggressor....Silva is tough but different rules again from Pride. And I do believe ALL the pride fighters have lost in the UFC.

I myself trained for a few years as a kickboxer and ended recently because of my job conflicting with hours and sleep so I couldnt do it anymore. I do view the fights the same way. In my mind Liddell is tired and old...like the announcers say (which I hate Joe Rogan as an color anncouncer) GSP is the future.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Oh, I apologize. I didn't intend to make it sound like I was belittling you at all.

Sounds like you have relatively similar experiences as I have.

Liddell, though, I disagree. I think he's still one of the best LHWs in the world, as I think Silva also is, and I think they both have just hit a little bit of hard water. Just my opinion. ;)
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

The one I can not stand whatsoever is Tim Silvia! I hate that guy because he just fights a boring fight!

I guess Defence wins the match but man with his size you should think he should be aggressive and show everyone whos boss. But, Instead, he lays there and thats it...
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Oh god, I loathe Tim Sylvia as well.

Too bad they wouldn't get him fight Fedor anytime soon. I'd love to see Sylvia slaughterd in the ring. :D

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”