How Do I Start?

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
ILLEffect
Board Meister

How Do I Start?

Post by ILLEffect »

The topic of weight loss surgery came up at a Dr appt and it scared the heck out of me. I really don't want to go down that route without trying to lose some weight on my own. I fully admit that I've been completely lazy and have had no motivation. I was so shocked that I've let myself go so much. I was in beauty pageants when I was younger and I look at those pictures and bawl because I feel so disgusted with myself.

How does one start getting healthy? My dr just kinda told me "Start eating right and exercise" and that was about it. I'm not a good candidate for weight loss pills because of kidney issues and I'm not a fan of fad diets. I want my diet change to be one I can live with forever.

I'm going to see the nutritionist next week so I'll be getting some tips from there. But my biggest problem is, I can say that I'm going to eat right and exercise but when it comes down to doing it, I binge and sit on the couch watching tv or in front of the computer.

Are there any good websites that can help motivate? Or does anyone have an idea of how to get started?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Walking, hiking and stairs
+ Thai & Indian curry
+ eliminating all junk food
+ lots of water
= 25-30 lbs gone for me since June.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

you might want to find a buddy.
Someone who also wants to change their lifestyle.
You guys can motivate each other and do your exercising together.
It's a lot easier not to procrastinate going to the gym or a walk if your friend is standing on your door step saying "cummon lets go"
Just and idea :124:
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Trainer Mick
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Trainer Mick »

I lost 100lbs by not having any money for food. Took me 7 months.
Looking for more than the illusion.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

If you are sitting on your butt looking at websites on how to lose weight, that is the first mistake.

There is really nothing exotic. If you are completely sedentary, even 10 minutes 3 times a week will make a difference. Go outside, walk around the block. If the weather is bad, put on some music and dance around the house.

Exercise can increase your metabolism for up to 12 hours!

As your Dr. has advised that you need to deal with this, you may be eligible for discounts at the City owned fitness centres. Parkinson Rec and Athans (they call it something different now) offer programs with some supervision at very reasonable prices even without the discounts.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

..and if you aren't motivated to get off your butt, just lie there until you've burned off anough calories so that you can :)

http://www.carefair.com/Beauty/Lifestyl ... _1820.html
anniecat
Übergod

Post by anniecat »

A good website for information, motivation and plan set-up and monitoring is http://www.sparkpeople.com. You can set up goals, whether it be weight loss, decrease in blood pressure, etc. and it can track your calories and exercise and you can have motivational emails sent and there's forums to meet other people in the same boat. There's also great recipes, etc. A website is certainly not the answer but it may be a good start to get you headed in the right direction. I know of a few people who have been very successful at increasing their health and changing their lifestyle by using "sparkpeople". And the best part is it's free! So, hope this helps and just know that a lot of small changes in your life can add up to a lot of big changes in your body and health....so just get started!! Best of luck and keep us posted.
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

http://www.weightwatchers.ca

It's the best "diet" out there. Check out the message boards for inspiration.

Even if you don't want to go to meetings, in person, you can do WW online.

I highly recommend it as it's a lifestyle change, not a diet, therefore you don't have to cut out this or that food.

Enjoy!
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

When I was younger I was starting to climb up there and decided to make some easy changes. The first thing I did was cut out all pop, chocolate bars and candy. Nothing too major just all the super junky stuff. My mom used to drink almost a 6pack of Pepsi every single day and then wonder why she couldn't lose weight :127: . I still have a hunk of chocolate on occasion but very rarely. I now have little craving for sugary stuff at all. When I want a snack I will usually go for tortilla chips and salsa, at least I'm getting my veggies :123: .

The second thing I did was stop adding salt to my food. I found most food ingrediants already had enough salt in them that you really didn't need to add any more.

The third thing was to up my water intake. I started keeping water with me all the time so I would sip on it throughout the day at work and while I was out and about.

I lost the excess right away with just those changes and it started the ball rolling to a healthier lifestyle. Now I just gotta get the motivation for excercise going and I'll be good to go lol.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
ILLEffect
Board Meister

Post by ILLEffect »

I'm trying to get to the next step, going from thinking and reading about it to actually pushing myself to DOING it. I made myself go take a 40 minute walk today and while I was dog tired and a bit sore afterwards, I felt awesome.

I find it hard to /want/ to exercise. I want to lose weight and be overall healthier, but I just find I don't want to always do what I need to do. Today was a matter of not having a choice but taking the walk (I had to go to the walk in for a prescription) and while I really didn't want to, I just told myself that I had to. I made the choice not to call a friend to get a ride. I just simply went and did it.

Now if only I could do that daily somehow.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Good for you! That's exactly what it takes.
I hate sports, I hate exercising.

I try to get my activity in other ways. I don't take the closest parking spot when I go to the store. I always take the stairs instead of the elevator.

I mow the lawn with a push mower. (My neighbours think I'm nuts on that one.)

We bought a treadmill a while back. I actually don't mind that.
I find it hard to get out in the winter, although I am the one who does all the snow shovelling.

Whatever it is I do, I always feel better afterwards. The hardest part is getting off my a$$ to do it. The TV and the Computer are huge brain suckers. Some days, I have to just shut them both off.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
anniecat
Übergod

Post by anniecat »

Illeffect, if I am correct you have had a lot of stress and emotional distress over the last year (from your previous posts)? Perhaps a good start would be to look at WHY you're overeating? There's a good chance any weight gain may have been caused by "emotional" eating, which is understandable knowing what you have gone through. Perhaps seeing a counsellor or someone who can work out the "why's" to your overeating would be a great help also....I know it's not the best suggestion but definately something you may want to consider because sometimes you have to work on the cause of the problem before you can start to solve it.

As a side note, another pretty good book which deals a lot with the "why's" of overeating is Bob Greene's new book. I bought it a while ago and I actually really like his thinking and his way of making lifestyle changes....very gradually so they stick.

By the way, good job on the walk today! :smt023
ILLEffect
Board Meister

Post by ILLEffect »

Perhaps a good start would be to look at WHY you're overeating?

I never really thought to factor in the stress of 2006 as to why I'm overeating, that's a really good point. Maybe if I start dealing with emotional stuff as well the eating will follow.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

ILLEffect wrote:
Perhaps a good start would be to look at WHY you're overeating?

I never really thought to factor in the stress of 2006 as to why I'm overeating, that's a really good point. Maybe if I start dealing with emotional stuff as well the eating will follow.

While you're factoring, go for a walk.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There really is no 'easy' way, but the right way is not as hard as you would think. I took a seminar a few years back called "weight loss management" that was great. There wasn't really a whole lot of new information, but it was the first time it had all been presented in a nice neat package.

Boiled down, it went like this:

1200 calories a day max
no more than 13 grams of fat
plan your day for snacks between meals and after dinner
drink lots of water

This will get you reading labels and researching nutritional content. It's a bit of a challenge getting a decent size meal out of three or four hundred calories, but it can be done, and quite well once you get on to it.

Exercise. Go to the pool, go for a walk, whatever. You don't have to break a sweat, just get 45 minutes to an hour of moderate activity per day. Walking fills the bill wonderfully.

This will raise your metabolic rate and the pounds will fall off you.

The tricky part is keeping it off. Once you've reached your target weight you can raise your caloric intake to the maintenance levels that suit your height and build, but if you go back to your old habits the weight will come back too. The idea that you have to get through your mind is that the strategy you are using right now is not working and you need a new one.
It takes discipline.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”