How Do I Start?

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

1200 calories is probably not enough. It does vary some based on age, sex, bone structure.

As a rule, anything less than 1500 is considered a starvation diet.
This will cause your body to go into starvation mode and everything will slow down. You metabolism drops as your body tries to hold on to everything it is taking in.

A better suggestion is to really look at what you are eating.
Put very simply, lots and lots of fruit and vegetables, no more meat at any meal than the size of a deck of cards, similar portion of complex carbohydrates (starch).

Stay away from anything white. These things are processed and digest too quickly. Better choices are whole grains, brown rice, unbleached flour, sweet potatoes or yams.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

1200 calories a day was given to me as the lowest safe level of caloric intake. It probably would qualify as a 'starvation' diet as it is intended to encourage weight loss. It is understood that once a target weight is reached, caloric intake would be increased.

As important as what you are eating is when you eating it. Ideally, you would just graze steadily all day while staying within the calorie/fat limitations. As long as there is a relatively steady intake of calories, the body will not go into 'starvation' mode. Skipping breakfast is one of the best ways to screw up a weight loss program.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Snowbaby
Lord of the Board

Post by Snowbaby »

I read a great book on changing what I eat and how I eat.

Drink loads of water..minimum 2L per day.
Also, you are to take your target weight and multiply by 10. That is the minimum amount of calories you should be eating in a day...BUT...if you are used to a lot more, you need to cut down the calorie intake more slowly. Start with what you normally eat now (eg. 2200) and take it down to 2000. Go with that for a time and then take it down again. Also, the 1200 a day is for if you are NOT adding any extra fitness to your "normal" routine.
The other thing is what is in your diet. You should only have a certain % of fats as compared to calorie intake. Same with protiens and carbohydrates. You should never cut out a specific grouping (like carbs) unless under the total supervision of a doctor.

As for exercise...to get into a routine, start with walking around the block and increase the distance every day. Or, walk to the grocery store every day to buy the ingredients for that night's dinner meal. Just a little change but will help.
ILLEffect
Board Meister

Post by ILLEffect »

Thanks for all the advice:) I'm going to really try this week to make small goals. Maybe if I work on making small goals I can make it a bit easier. Rather than saying "I have to lose 175 pounds", I can say "I have to lose 10 pounds in the next 5 weeks"???
JaneDoe

Post by JaneDoe »

You have to take it day by day.... a nutritionist as a great step!! LOTS of water..... if you are short on water you will start craving salty foods because your body needs and wants salt in order to retain more water. If you are craving salty foods that is a good indication of not having enough water in your diet. As for excercise for the first while it isnt going to be fun, however after a few weeks its just something you do and you look forward to it because it does make you feel so much better! Good luck!
Snickerdoodle
Board Meister

Post by Snickerdoodle »

Maybe if you gave us some idea of what you usually eat we all could help you on how to start to change your eating habits.
As soon as I take out anything "white" out of my diet I usually start to loose the weight or at least not add anymore weight. So pasta, potato's, bread... anything starchy.
I've started running on the treadmill at the gym, and I log the distance and how long I ran on the calender. And my goal right now is each week to either go longer distance or longer time, and to escalate up the speed. I started off as walking fast, and nearly killed myself as my muscles went *bleep*!!! But now I'm running consistantly 2km or miles (I can never figure that one out) in 20 minutes. But for the last minute now, I'm moving the speed up from a 10min mile/km to an 8 min/mile/km.
Also figure out what time of the day you like to exercise (I know we never like to exercise) and stick to that time. I hate doing it in the am, and if I do it in the am I'm likely to hate my time there and not do it the next day. So I do it before I have dinner at night, right after work. Then I also usually find that I'm not craving a big huge meal.

I'm also a big snacker, and stress eater, so I find things that will curb my snacking appetite but are still low in calories. I hate veggies other then in a salad, so I will airpop some popcorn - no butter, or pretzels are a big item that it doesn't take much and my snacking is done.

I also am a boredom snacker, so if I'm in front of the tv and starting to crave snacks, if you take up a "hand hobby" it will keep your hands busy and might stop the snacking. I took up cross stitching, as I don't want to get my material all food dirty, so it causes me not to snack, but because its keeping my mind and hands a bit more busy while in front of the tv, it stops the cravings.

Good luck and keep us updated to how your doing.
kingsandman
Übergod

Post by kingsandman »

all good suggestions so far. remember though, you have to eat, if you're starving yourself, you wont stick with it. just try to eat healthier, buy veggies and fruit for snacks, not chips and candies. i can't remember the exact numbers, but a doctor told me you are better to eat 5 to 6 times a day, but smaller portions. apparently after 750 (i think was the figure) calories, your body stops producing insulin and stores calories as fat. please check these numbers with a professional. also try not to eat past about 7:00pm, if you eat late and go to bed, you're not going to even start digesting properly. diet pop is another no no, the aspartame can actually slow your metabolic rate. google diet pop, you'll be shocked at the harm it can do you. extreme cases have people falsely diagnosed with lupis, only to go off diet pop and completely turn around. stick with your walks, they will become addicting, you'll find yourself missing them if you skip a day. swimming and biking or both low impact but great at raising your heartbeat even more than walking. don't weigh yourself everyday! you'll only be discouraged by normal fluctuations in your weight. try once a week, always at the same time, first thing in the morning is best. set realistic goals,nothing happens overnight, you should be thinking baby steps here. the weight will come off, but people who drop large amounts in short periods tend to regain weight. start thinking lifestyle change, not dieting. good luck and keep us posted. i hope anyone who knows you will comment on any weight loss, as it will only encourage you.
Model citizen......zero discipline.
ILLEffect
Board Meister

Post by ILLEffect »

My body doesn't produce insulin actually, I'm insulin dependent diabetic.

Yesterday's eating schedule was:

8am - 2 Slim Fast Shakes (made with 1% milk)
12pm - 4 home made biscuits
4pm - turkey, potatoes and gravy
8:30pm - bowl of turkey noodle soup
10pm - bowl cereal (again, with 1% milk)

Not sure of the caloric value, but I use the Ultra Smart glucose monitor so today I'm going to keep track of calories, fat, carbs and protein.

Oh and yes, I've been given the go ahead (and encouragement) from my Dr to lose weight as long as I do so safely - 1-2lbs/week maximum.
ou_812

Post by ou_812 »

There are a couple of things you could change immediately,don't eat biscuits or gravy, also I didn't see any fruits, in your diet, start adding lots of fruit, and don't eat anything other than fruit after say 8:00 pm.
It takes a lot of work for your body to work that late snacks off.
2 litres of water per day will do amazing things, you need to flush your system with it

Good Luck!
ILLEffect
Board Meister

Post by ILLEffect »

Water intake isn't a problem, I drink anywhere from 2-5L/day. I'm on Lasix (a water pill) for swelling in my legs so I get super thirsty and just drink drink drink.

So no biscuits (which I see now is actually a comfort food). Add fruit. Can do:)
Snowbaby
Lord of the Board

Post by Snowbaby »

Since biscuits are a "comfort" food, I would not eliminate them entirely. That usually has the drawback of making you crave them more and over eating on them. Work a biscuit or two into your diet plan per week. It's all in moderation.
kingsandman
Übergod

Post by kingsandman »

ILLEffect wrote:My body doesn't produce insulin actually, I'm insulin dependent diabetic.

Not sure of the caloric value, but I use the Ultra Smart glucose monitor so today I'm going to keep track of calories, fat, carbs and protein.

Oh and yes, I've been given the go ahead (and encouragement) from my Dr to lose weight as long as I do so safely - 1-2lbs/week maximum.
eating late is a real killer here. try something light if you can, fruits or veggies.
Model citizen......zero discipline.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

It sounds like you would benefit from some basic nutritional counselling.
This is extremely unbalanced, and even dangerous considering that you are diabetic. You can attend a Diabetic Nutrition class at the hospital.
I strongly recommend you do so.

ILLEffect wrote:My body doesn't produce insulin actually, I'm insulin dependent diabetic.

Eat real food. Slim Fast does not work. Worse, it is carbohydrate based and has little or no protein or fibre. It will not fill you up, it will burn off quickly and cause a real spike in your blood sugar.

A better choice would be a slice of whole grain toast. (Whole grain, not whole wheat). You could add some cheese or ham, chicken...something for protein. Even a soft boiled or poached egg would be great. Add a piece of fruit, not juice. Fruit has fibre and will digest slower. Juice will cause your blood sugar to spike.

Starch=sugar, and fat.
There is no protein or fibre here.
You could just as well have eaten a doughnut.

Suggestion: Chicken caesar salad. Skip the croutons, and have the dressing on the side.

Nothing wrong with turkey. The only problem is that it can be dry and most people add gravy. Gravy is fat and starch (sugar). Potatoes are starch (sugar).

You should limit your protein portion to the size of a deck of cards.
It doesn't really matter the type of protein, but lean cuts are of course best. Chicken, beef, pork.

Stay away from thick sauces and gravies. They contain starch and fat.
You need more vegetables. Try adding a tossed salad or some steamed veggies. Peas, carrots, corn, beets are all high in carbohydrates.

You are better off with peppers, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, cabbage, brussel sprouts. Get creative, there are lots of things out there.

What is this meal?
If this is store bought, it is very high in sodium and the noodles will be made with white flour. More starch (sugar.)

Why are you eating at 10pm? This will sit in your stomach all night while you are asleep. This will give you high blood sugar and store fat.

Prepared cereals are basically sugar. Whether it is Cheerios, Bran Flakes, Corn Flakes, whatever, it is sugar. Granted, there will be a difference in fibre content, cereal is sugar.

The latest course we attended, the Nurse told us that Diabetics should not eat cereal. If you must, cooked oatmeal is the best. Rolled oats, the slow kind.

Looking at what you ate today, I would not be surprised to see blood sugars in the mid 20s!

The entire food intake consisted of sugar, fat and a tiny bit of protein.

I think you need to be referred, but your doctor can get you signed up with the Diabetes clinic. Even the Canada Food Guide can help you somewhat.

Get rid of the Slim Fast! It is basically poison to a diabetic.
Eat vegetables!

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
proud_daddy3
Fledgling

Post by proud_daddy3 »

you guys are awesome. so many helpful ideas. i am also looking to loose some "excess" pounds. find it very hard also to find motovation. been starting to drink tonns of water though. also cutting out junk food and such. itll be totally worth it in the end when we can be proud of our bodies again rite. keep it up.
Leafs Fan Forever TML!!! I Bleed Blue & White!
Balloonatic
Fledgling

Post by Balloonatic »

Easy, diet coke and carrots :)
There are loads of fad diets out there which just won't work for you. If you starve yourself you'll end up hating the diet and give up on it. Imagine the Atkins diet? Eat as much bacon/steak/eggs as you can, but if you eat an orrange you'll explode by 20lbs :) Weight Watchers are great as you can still eat the nice foods like chocolate :smt023
Weight Watchers follow the number 1 basic rule, if you take in less calories than you burn you lose weight - pretty simple really.
Good luck.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”