Neck Guards In The NHL

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
ILLEffect
Board Meister

Post by ILLEffect »

Sort of off/on topic, but I think they should be mandatory. When I was much younger, living in Revelstoke, one young boy got a puck to the center of his throat and subsequently passed away from the injury. I know that's different than a skate to the throat, but it's got to do with neck injury in the end.
Hugh Jass
Übergod

Post by Hugh Jass »

Can you imagine a football player without a Helmet or Shoulder Pads ?

If its a potentially lifesaving piece of equipment it should be mandatory.

I would suspect added leg padding would not be potentially life savings.

Football players wear Hip, Tail, Thigh, Knee pads on their lower body currently.
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

There is one thing about the health and safety of players in any sport, but there's also going too far. In the history of the NHL, there are now 2 incidents with skates to necks. Players know the safety risks of their job. Everyone makes a big deal out of it when something happens. It's called a freak accident. We might as well place players in bubbles, or society in bubbles.

Just because a player is equiped, doesn't mean they are safe-guarded. While that young boy who died is sad, there have been other people who have died when they've had the right equipment on.

We're talking about grown men who get paid A LOT of money to do their job. I think they can handle themselves.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”