Rockets hockey 50/50 draw

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
RTH
Fledgling

Rockets hockey 50/50 draw

Post by RTH »

Does anyone have any first hand experience on the 50/50 draw with regards to checks and balances. I am curious as to how they control all that money each nite. Many volunteers work very hard to make this an obviously successful game.
40+ games a year x average of $9000+ per game = $360,000 going thru those hands.
The money goes to support minor hockey rep teams in Kelowna.
Who is responsible for the accurate counting vs. tickets sold and is an audit done each year.
How is the money allocated?
Just questions folks, nothing more. Please dont slam me for asking.
Snowbaby
Lord of the Board

Re: Rockets hockey 50/50 draw

Post by Snowbaby »

If it works anything like the 50/50 draws that the minor hockey teams do. It must be written down what the opening ticket number is and the final ticket number is. After that, I'm sure how it works as tickets are sold in various ways (at least in the minors). IE 1 for 1$, 3 for 2$ and 15 for 5$. I know that in the minors, there are two people (given the small number of attendees) that sell the tickets, count the total $s and divide in half and hand out the winnings.
If you are curious, phone the Rockets management and ask.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Re: Rockets hockey 50/50 checks and balances.

Post by eyepop »

regards to checks and balances...
1 for 1$, 3 for 2$ and 15 for 5$...

that's where the money can go missing...

if i come back with $10 after selling tix...

did i twice sell 15 for $5?

or 30 for $1,

and kept $20?

come back with $100,
sell 300 for $1,
keep $200.

:-k

Post by Snowbaby »

Hence why the numbers for the first and last tickets sold are RECORDED. And like I said, for such a large group, not too sure how it works, I just know about the rep teams in minor hockey.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Re: Rockets hockey 1 + 1 = __

Post by eyepop »

Snowbaby wrote:Hence why the numbers for the first and last tickets sold are RECORDED. And like I said, for such a large group, not too sure how it works, I just know about the rep teams in minor hockey.

i know you said the numbers were RECORDED.

hence, so what?

if i say i sold 15 at a 5 bucks twice....

but i sell 30 at a buck a piece...

how many tickets would i NOT have?

hint: between 29 and 31.

but like you said,
"for such a large group, not too sure how it works."
RTH
Fledgling

Post by RTH »

My question was for someone that had some first hand experience in working the 50/50 at the Rockets games. This is run by Kelowna Minor Hockey and the Rockets are not involved, from what I understand. I did hear that their was one individual that is responsible and is paid a percentage of the take. This may or may not be true, thats why I was asking.
Anyone know what the checks and balances are. The fact that there are different prices for different quantities would make it somewhat difficult to balance the cash to the tickets sold.
shoo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by shoo »

I've been attending the Rockets games for about 9 years now,and last night is the first time I can recall there not being 50/50 tickets sold. The night before the winner recieved over $5000.00. Wonder what happened?
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Post by eyepop »

maybe somebody read this post,
and in regards to checks and balances,
they're off to review them.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

I do believe you are right, that Kelowna Minor Hockey runs the draw and I'm not 100% sure on this but I think the tickets are 4 for $2.00 or 10 for $5.00 so in other words, they would be .50 cents each so tht would make it easy to account for them.
Maybe someone that is involved with this could respond
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Yes Maxmom you are right. When I did the 50/50 all numbers of the tickets were accounted for from your roll of tickets. The amount of money collected equalled the right amount of tickets. Sometimes we were out and forms were filled out. It was always a big thing to be balanced. That was a lot of years ago. The moneys raised at that time were for KMHA and a small portion went to the Australian travel group account. The Rockest recieved nothing in return. I really don't think I would ever do it again. It was a huge committment for the two years. My son had a real life learning expierance. I noticed the was no 50/50. Last night, a sign was posted at the game saying do to technical difficuties between KMHA and BC Gaming that there would not be any 50/50 tonight. Does anybody know anything?
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Wow, 2 years is a lot of time and committment.....guess you don't get to see much of the games when you're there selling? .....strange there was no 50/50 last night, wonder what technical difficulties are???? I do remember reading not long ago, that KMHA was cleared in the so called investigation that went on because of tht complaint laid.
It must take quite some time to get all those tickets ripped apart and in the bin in order to do the draw, is that why they stop selling pretty much as soon as the 3rd period starts?
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Ya it burns you out. As soon as our 2 years were up. I got seasons tickets. It wasn't fun doing the 50/50. No you do not get to watch the game. Your to busy selling. During the third period you count and balance. So with about 8 minutes left, you do get to stand and watch. But you just spent hours walking up and down the conrete stairs.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

So now you get to sit and watch the games and think about this next group doing the 50/50. Can't imagine it's fun trudging up and down those stairs all the time........

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”