Rockets Fans

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
rocketman

Rockets Fans

Post by rocketman »

I read the editorial letter section of Castanet this morning with much disgust. Some one time fan from Kamloops states he is disappointed by the Rockets fans. Well he should get all the facts before making assumptions. Regarding the suport for the Rockets and the playoff tickts he may wish to just check the suportfor the previous years where the fans were lined up early for the tickets only to be tgurned away. The prices continue to rise without any concern for the fans who support the team all year and then get gouged at thestart of the playoffs. Also there is a waiting list for season tickets and you have to pay to stay on the list. what a money grab this is.
The concession prices are outrageous ad if the prices were reduced the vendors would be sold out every night. It costs a small bank loan to take a family of four to the game.
The Kamloops fans also compared the Warriors to the Rockets, well I have attended games at Royal LePage Center and the people make you feel like they want you there. Not as much can be said if you are coming to the game and have notfinished a coffee or drink as it is confiscated at the door.
It is not a fair comparison and if you feel that the fans are not as supportive as you say the Kamloops fans are you are entitled to your decision. Regardless of your oversite it is very apparent that the fans have sold out the Rockets games for over 160 in a row. Just watch how the fans at Vancouver support the Canucks if they continue thei loosing way.
Lovintherockets

Re: Rockets Fans

Post by Lovintherockets »

Where is this letter Rocketman...I would like to take a read before I comment. Are you talking about the letters to the editor or is there somehwere else that I have missed? If its the letters to the Editor, there is 3 letters prior that should/could have gotten you "Knickers in a knot". Thanks
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Yes that iswhere it is.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

rocketman wrote:I read the editorial letter section of Castanet this morning with much disgust. Some one time fan from Kamloops states he is disappointed by the Rockets fans. Well he should get all the facts before making assumptions. Regarding the suport for the Rockets and the playoff tickts he may wish to just check the suportfor the previous years where the fans were lined up early for the tickets only to be tgurned away. The prices continue to rise without any concern for the fans who support the team all year and then get gouged at thestart of the playoffs. Also there is a waiting list for season tickets and you have to pay to stay on the list. what a money grab this is.
The concession prices are outrageous ad if the prices were reduced the vendors would be sold out every night. It costs a small bank loan to take a family of four to the game.
The Kamloops fans also compared the Warriors to the Rockets, well I have attended games at Royal LePage Center and the people make you feel like they want you there. Not as much can be said if you are coming to the game and have notfinished a coffee or drink as it is confiscated at the door.
It is not a fair comparison and if you feel that the fans are not as supportive as you say the Kamloops fans are you are entitled to your decision. Regardless of your oversite it is very apparent that the fans have sold out the Rockets games for over 160 in a row. Just watch how the fans at Vancouver support the Canucks if they continue thei loosing way.

Unfinished drinks are not confiscated at Prospera Place. You are always allowed to finish it. They simply aren't allowed in the center. Drunkiness and similarly bad behavior would increase if drinks (which could be filled with alcohol) were allowed, openly.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Lovintherockets

Post by Lovintherockets »

Time for a temper tantrum.....Ready?

Mr Kamloops is right. The fans at the Rockets game by comparison of past years sucks. There are a ton of empty seats. Prospera Place has put in so many rules and regulations for the inability of the fans to make noise, they have made it nearly impossible to have fun. Kelowna fans are very quiet, by choice? maybe but in general, if the boys are not playing to their best potential, people leave as soon as the 50/50 number is called. The fact that it is Easter and spring break might have something to do with the attendance also.
Born and raised in Kamloops (btw, for that I am sad) (that would be humour), but the best fans??? I don't believe that for a second. We have pretty good fans here too but the best fans according to the "Best fo the West" poll is Everett. In the 80's when the Loops were winning, sure they had fantastic fans, so did we here in Kelowna when the team was a powerhouse, but this year and last, they have shown some growing pains, they are still an incredible group of hockey players.
No one cheers? Okay then I need Mr. Kamloops to explain to me why I have no voice left after every single game. Just because he can't hear me does not mean that I don't cheer. Ask anyone around me, I scare alot of people, it's fun.
As for the Westside Warriors, I have not been to a game there but I am sure that if you got 2500 true Rocket fans in a smaller arena we too would be loud. As for his Go Kamloops Go remark, he might just have been looking to stir the pot a little. There is nothing more fun than "giving it"to a Kamloops fan....remember...Go Blazers go, Go Blazers go, around the rink and out the door....Go Blazers go!!!
Now, as for the price of tickets, drinks, food at Prospera....Welcome to Kelowna. Go ahead and look at ANY other organization in the WHL, you will find the prices to be quite compariable to most. Beer is a little excessive, but then again I don't drink so it does not effect me. Prices are going up for everything, gas, food, rent, so that arguement is a wash. As for the fee to be kept on the wait list for Tickets....there are a ton of organizations that do that, Kelowna is not the first.
Not being able to bring food into an event at Prospera, I would love to see you bring a drink into the Keg the next time you need something to eat. Prospera Place is a Business, don't like it oh well.
And as for Westside being cheaper....you pay for what you want to do. You can go to Edith Gay park and watch minor baseball or you can spend money and watch the Falcons, the same hold true for hockey. Pay to watch the Rockets at Prospera,pay to watch the Warriors or pay to watch the Canucks. If you put it in prospective, it's Your choice.

Mr. Kamloops, I hope you enjoyed the game and you attend more, they are great and the Kelowna Rockets are a class act through and through.
Rocketman, Support the Kelowna Rockets, be Loud and Proud. Enjoy the playoffs . See you at the Rink
:discodance: :nyah: :discodance:

Go Rockets Go!!! Beat the Thunderbirds !!!
Salty Dog
Fledgling

Post by Salty Dog »

I have been a diehard hockey fan for as long as I can remember and played the game from early childhood through my 49th birthday....to the University level hockey in Atlantic Canada, so at least understand the game fairly well and what it takes to play it at the level these kids in major junior do. Having said that, it seems to me that most of the severe criticism of our "building" Rocket team comes from those who understand the game the least. I have yet to go to a WHL hockey game...even when our boys have been struggling hard, when I haven't enjoyed it. Every team in the league has a few young players on their roster who are worth the price of admission.

For my money, the real hockey fans in the rink don't get up and leave right after the 50/50 draw, when there are 10 minutes left to play in a one goal hockey game. In Kelowna, there are a whole lot more fans who stay 'til the bitter end to support their team than there are those who suffer from premature e....gress from the stands. Although these faux-fans can [at times] be annoying, they have helped to fill Prospera Place to the rafters for something like 160 games.....that is surely a good thing. In terms of "fan quality", what really gets under my skin is the number of people who come late to the games, and tromp across in front of everybody to get to their seats WITHOUT WAITING FOR A STOPPAGE OF PLAY!!!! Where the hell are their manners? Don't they know that this just ain't done at hockey games?????? The real test of patience are those 'fans' who need to return to their mid-row seats with a minute or so left in a period/game. Why they will even do it during a raging powerplay .......... I know this is a rant, but God forbid that some of those self indulgent idiots should risk losing their front of the line spot in the concession line for their beer and popcorn between periods. Wow, am I ever having fun today!

This debate over who has the best fans...Kamloops vs Kelowna is an exercise in stupidity. Let those Kamloops Blazer people wallow in their misery.........as they reminisce about the good old days when their seats were sold out for every game. Hockey fans.... who only support winners???? Poor souls, don't know how to deal with their current woes. I say, as Kelowna Rockets fans, we will enjoy our hockey games HOWEVER we like and we sure as hell don't need a few misguided, bus ridin', train robbin, cowpokes from Kamloops tellin us nuttin!!!!! AND, HOW BOUT OUR ROCKETS PERFORMANCE IN GAME 6.......WE NOW HAVE JUST AS GOOD A CHANCE AS SEATTLE OF GOING TO THE NEXT SERIES. On ticket prices, etc........it is still the best entertainment bang-for-your- buck in town.
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Good on you. I feel the same way regarding inconsiderate fans that get up duirng the game and just walk in front of you while we try and watch the game. We have a rule in our row that no one leaves during the game unless there is a stoppage in the play. We also do not allow people that do not sit in our row to use it as a open row. It is just por manners that kids and some older people do this.
Rockets surely did finish well last night and onegood thing I noticed a very select few that left after the 50-50. Finally GO ROCKETS GO. We may not win the series but we at least played above excpectations again.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

rocketman wrote:Good on you. I feel the same way regarding inconsiderate fans that get up duirng the game and just walk in front of you while we try and watch the game. We have a rule in our row that no one leaves during the game unless there is a stoppage in the play. We also do not allow people that do not sit in our row to use it as a open row. It is just por manners that kids and some older people do this.
Rockets surely did finish well last night and onegood thing I noticed a very select few that left after the 50-50. Finally GO ROCKETS GO. We may not win the series but we at least played above excpectations again.

Rocket fans are similar to Canuck fans. If either team is losing, nobody cares. As soon as they are winning, they're back on the bandwagon.
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but thereis no band wagon in Kelowna. The fans are the fans no matter what. We did not make the playoffs last year and we still filld the house for every game. No matter as we know who we are and the best part is we are not Kamopps fans even they we treat them well we they show up. We sat right below the Seattle fans last night in 105 and had quite the chat after the game was over and did not have any problems with them. They were just here to enjoy themselves. We wished them luck but not too much and told them to enjoy the trip home. There is what real Kelowna fans do.
Salty Dog
Fledgling

Post by Salty Dog »

rocketman wrote:Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but thereis no band wagon in Kelowna. The fans are the fans no matter what. We did not make the playoffs last year and we still filld the house for every game. No matter as we know who we are and the best part is we are not Kamopps fans even they we treat them well we they show up. We sat right below the Seattle fans last night in 105 and had quite the chat after the game was over and did not have any problems with them. They were just here to enjoy themselves. We wished them luck but not too much and told them to enjoy the trip home. There is what real Kelowna fans do.

Right on!!! I don't know who these "on the bandwagon" fans are either. Bloody few of them it would seem with a full house through two seasons of rebuilding & struggles. As to fans from other teams visiting our building.....I haven't met an obnoxious or miserable one yet. And, I have not seen one Rocket fan treat any visiting team fan with disrespect either. Where my seat is, we often have groups of fans from away in our midst and they take well to a little good natured teasing, etc. That is the way it should be. No hooligans here.....and there isn't a kid on any team coming into our arena that we wouldn't think the world of if he were one of ours.... In my humble opinion, the only participants in these hockey games deserving of a bucket full of ..........criticism are SOME of the referees that we must endure ! How bout that Papp guy? A smear campaign might be in order. I know ! A tasteless play on words for which I apologize.
SpazmoTheMagnificent
Übergod

Post by SpazmoTheMagnificent »

On a sidenote...one of the funniest things my wife an I have encountered as a couple was a rockets game.
Its like all the fans think this is professional hockey! Its hillareous!
And when during the Canadian/American anthems occured, when the American anthem came to the "rockets red glare" portion. My wife and I nearly pee'd ourselves. Yahoo, we are at a hockey game!
:dyinglaughing:
Still makes me chuckle.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

rocketman wrote:Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but thereis no band wagon in Kelowna. The fans are the fans no matter what. We did not make the playoffs last year and we still filld the house for every game. No matter as we know who we are and the best part is we are not Kamopps fans even they we treat them well we they show up. We sat right below the Seattle fans last night in 105 and had quite the chat after the game was over and did not have any problems with them. They were just here to enjoy themselves. We wished them luck but not too much and told them to enjoy the trip home. There is what real Kelowna fans do.

Your comments to the Seattle fans were that of a good person - the fact you're a Rockets fan is completely irrelevant.

But honestly, nobody cared at all about Kelowna's hockey team prior to a few years ago when we were the top in the league. We're still running off of that steam.
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

It is not the intention of stating I was a Rckets fan it was that I wished them well as a hockey fan. Got it.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

rocketman wrote:It is not the intention of stating I was a Rckets fan it was that I wished them well as a hockey fan. Got it.

Even still, that isn't unique for Rocket fans. Like, I doubt a Hitmens or Silvertips fan would condemn an out-of-town fan.
Teaps
Board Meister

Post by Teaps »

SpazmoTheMagnificent wrote:On a sidenote...one of the funniest things my wife an I have encountered as a couple was a rockets game.
Its like all the fans think this is professional hockey! Its hillareous!
And when during the Canadian/American anthems occured, when the American anthem came to the "rockets red glare" portion. My wife and I nearly pee'd ourselves. Yahoo, we are at a hockey game!
:dyinglaughing:
Still makes me chuckle.

Just because it's not professional that does not make it less exciting...Actually...I, and if you asked every WHL Fan if they would rather see a DUB game or an NHL game, the answer is WHL...These boys are playing with heart and trying to make the big show....in the NHL, they are playing for the fans and a paycheck, the stanley cup is simply a bonus to them i guarentee you. Hmm...Win a Stanley Cup? for make $4 Million for playing 82+ Hockey games in a year....Which would you choose first?

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”