Lame, Moronic Bicycle Law !

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
FreeRights
Guru

Re: Lame, Moronic Bicycle Law !

Post by FreeRights »

It IS ticketable if you ride on the sidewalk. Additionally, it is ticketable if you are out of control on your bike. It has nothing to do with him having a power trip, it has everything to do with you understanding the rules of riding a bike.

Ignorance is no excuse. It doesn't matter that drivers can use one hand on a cellphone, because there's no bylaw against it. Are you suggesting that bylaw officers should pick and choose which to enforce?
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
unfazed
Übergod

Post by unfazed »

I ride my bike and talk on my cellphone at the same time. I still remain in control with only one hand on the handlebars. No tickets for me!

Springfield has fine bike lanes. Use them!
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

:137: Hmmm, I thought that, "both hands on the handle bars" thing sounded wrong. You might have asked him how you could abide by that law and use your hand signals to turn. lol
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

OREZ wrote::137: Hmmm, I thought that, "both hands on the handle bars" thing sounded wrong. You might have asked him how you could abide by that law and use your hand signals to turn. lol

OH! good point!!!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

OOOps,,,guess I am in contravention of most of the bylaw. What happened to the simple days of just having fun riding a bike? rules, rules and more rules. time to move where there are less rules....oh yeah and less condos :nutzoid:
daedalus
Board Meister

Post by daedalus »

amomof2dogs wrote:http://www.city.kelowna.bc.ca/CM/Page70.aspx
9.1.2 Cyclist duties. A person operating a cycle:
(a) must not ride on a sidewalk unless otherwise directed by a traffic control
device, unless that person is under the age of 12 years and is operating a nonchain
driven 3 or 4 wheeled cycle which is designed for recreational use,
(b) must not, for the purpose of crossing a highway, ride on a crosswalk unless
otherwise directed by a traffic control device ,
(c) must, ride as near as practical to the right side of a highway, within a bicycle
path if available,
(d) must not ride abreast of another person operating a cycle on the highway,
(e) must keep at least one hand on the handlebars,
(f) must not ride other than on or astride a regular seat of the cycle, and
(g) must not use the cycle to carry more persons at one time than the number for
which it is designed and equipped.
Nothing in this section requires a person to ride a cycle on any part of a highway that is
not paved.

I never knew that. I break a,b +c regularily, and e sometimes. whatever. :125: :shoutitout: :smt075

It is annoying that people make up their own bylaws. If he bugs you again, tell him to look in his book again. It is possible that the person comes from another town where it is that way.
Penguin avatar: http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/1816/penguinsnc5.gif
The poor penguin gets revenge: http://www.coolavatars.net/avatars/13/penguin_revenge.gif
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Try riding with a coffecup in one hand while riding on the sidewalk. Then when someone asks me to get off the sidewalk, I ask them if they would carry the cup to the next trash can. If they refuse tell them , you will continue till you find one..

Funny how there can be so many by the Art Gallery and cultural district, but they cannot put one where there is a huge amount of foot traffic near the stadium at Ellis and Clement.. or at the ballparks exit on Gaston..

I alway thought that if your wheels on a car were on the unpainted side of the yellow line you were legal, is that not the case? But I had heard that over a foot from the curb may be a ticket..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Cool2bme wrote:"It does not matter if the sidewalk was deserted or not. Get off the sidewalk. You no more get to ride your bike on the sidewalk than you get to drive on it."

we gonna have another one of those lame, drawn out debates where u tell me its a crime to ride on the sidewalk, and I tell you I won't risk my life to ride in the road? Rather live being a criminal than be a dead law abiding citizen. I mean really, this has been beaten to death. No pun intended. It is simply unsafe to ride on the roadways, end of story. No law, no guilt trip or bitching by anyone is going to change the fact I refuse to endanger my life cause it makes you feel better. Heres the facts, Car VS Cyclist= 1 dead cyclist. Cyclist VS Pedestrian= 1 injured, bruised, battered, and probably very *bleep* off pedestrian... ALIVE. Hmmm... tough choice. I think its a no brainer.

If you insist on riding on the sidewalk then the answer is yes. Little kids ride on the sidewalk. grownups ride on the rode. I don't drive on the sidewalk, I don't ride my bike on the sidewalk and if there are sidewalks, I don't walk on the road.

I have been riding my bike to work for years. Keep your head up, your eyes open, and if you have a parcel to carry, you get a pannier to put it in or, you drive.

No, this is not going to be a long drawn out debate. If I am walking on the sidewalk and you come along you better be ready to get the hell off because I am not moving out of your way.

The city of Kelowna is one of the most bicycle friendly cities in North America. In Kelowna there is no reason to ride on the sidewalk.
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

I have put some thought into this kind of thing before, not much but a little. I came to the conclusion that bylaw cops are a waste of resources and are not needed. I had never seen them until I came to Canada, and in the states "at least where I am from" if you have a messy yard or are breaking some bylaws the township calls you up and gives you a warning. If you keep doing it the township will mail you a fine or even hire people to come clean your yard and then charge you fees. Bylaw officers are completely useless.

I have yet to get a ticket or warning from one in the past 3 years so I consider my self an unbiased opinion.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

JonyDarko wrote:I have put some thought into this kind of thing before, not much but a little. I came to the conclusion that bylaw cops are a waste of resources and are not needed. I had never seen them until I came to Canada, and in the states "at least where I am from" if you have a messy yard or are breaking some bylaws the township calls you up and gives you a warning. If you keep doing it the township will mail you a fine or even hire people to come clean your yard and then charge you fees. Bylaw officers are completely useless.

I have yet to get a ticket or warning from one in the past 3 years so I consider my self an unbiased opinion.

Well, your opinion proves that you've given it very little thought.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote: I alway thought that if your wheels on a car were on the unpainted side of the yellow line you were legal, is that not the case? But I had heard that over a foot from the curb may be a ticket..

According to the guy I encountered where the wheels were was regardless as the vehicle was two feet onto the yellow curb.

Yes technically to be parked correctly your wheels should be one foot or less from the curb and the ones I saw were more like two feet away yet even though that could actually have been construed as more of a safety issue it mattered to him not.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

LoneWolf wrote:
50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote: I alway thought that if your wheels on a car were on the unpainted side of the yellow line you were legal, is that not the case? But I had heard that over a foot from the curb may be a ticket..

According to the guy I encountered where the wheels were was regardless as the vehicle was two feet onto the yellow curb.

Yes technically to be parked correctly your wheels should be one foot or less from the curb and the ones I saw were more like two feet away yet even though that could actually have been construed as more of a safety issue it mattered to him not.

So, it's the bylaw officer's fault that his job isn't to judge a situation, and instead to enforce bylaws?

LOL
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

FreeRights wrote:So, it's the bylaw officer's fault that his job isn't to judge a situation, and instead to enforce bylaws?

LOL

Not sure I'm following you?

To my thinking their job is to know the rules and enforce them yet they appear to enforce them selectively based on the whim of the moment and as evidenced they don't know them all that well either.

I questioned why in my case he didn't ticket a number of other vehicles that were parked far too far from the curb and instead focused on ours which for what it's worth was only there less than two minutes and to my thinking a more trivial thing than those other vehicles that were there all day.

I didn't expect him to judge anything just use common sense and not nit pick.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

LoneWolf wrote:
FreeRights wrote:So, it's the bylaw officer's fault that his job isn't to judge a situation, and instead to enforce bylaws?

LOL

Not sure I'm following you?

To my thinking their job is to know the rules and enforce them yet they appear to enforce them selectively based on the whim of the moment and as evidenced they don't know them all that well either.

I questioned why in my case he didn't ticket a number of other vehicles that were parked far too far from the curb and instead focused on ours which for what it's worth was only there less than two minutes and to my thinking a more trivial thing than those other vehicles that were there all day.

I didn't expect him to judge anything just use common sense and not nit pick.

He ticketed you because you broke a bylaw. It doesn't matter how long you were there.

As per the other vehicles, you don't know whether they were or were not ticketed. He knows his job better than you know his job, so I think it's safe to assume he did the correct thing.
FourStar
Fledgling

Post by FourStar »

Anyone who DOESN'T ride their bike/moped/electric bike on the sidewalk I consider to be risking their freaking life. This is not a friendly 'ride on the road' city.

I would take a ticket any day over riding on the road. I cannot believe that is even against the law.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”