Vancouver Canuck Luc Bourdon Killed in Accident

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
The Bronze
Fledgling

Vancouver Canuck Luc Bourdon Killed in Accident

Post by The Bronze »

THE CANADIAN PRESS

SHIPPAGAN, N.B. -- Luc Bourdon, a defenceman with the NHL's Vancouver Canucks, has been killed in a motorcycle crash in northern New Brunswick.

Bourdon's sister, Eve Bourdon, has confirmed the death.

RCMP in Shippagan, N.B., won't confirm the identity of the victim but say the driver of a motorcycle was killed at about 12:30 p.m. AT today in crash near Shippagan.

Bourdon, 21, was the first-round pick of the Canucks, 10th overall, in the 2005 NHL draft.

He was a member of the Canadian team that won gold at the 2007 world junior hockey championship.

Bourdon was born in Shippagan.
CareBear
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Vancouver Canuck Luc Bourdon Killed in Accident

Post by CareBear »

I'm in utter shock when I read the headline. Luc was so talented. Its such a shame to lose someone so young.

R.I.P Luc
Some days your the dog, other days your the hydrant.
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

Very tragic indeed. He had so much potential. Sure, he may have felt shy and a loner with the Canucks, but that doesn't mean he couldn't break out of it, or at least play hockey well. Such a shame.

RIP
The Bronze
Fledgling

Post by The Bronze »

I found this post on the Canucks board and thought it was worth sharing. I'm still in shock and can't say much that hasn't already been said. This post was really nice though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"Let's rememeber that inside that jersey, inside the world of men, Luc was just a boy. Think of what you were doing at that age (which for me meant College and acting every bit the *bleep* that being young affords you) and remember just how unprepared you were for the world.

I am especially saddened because I have a very personal, very selfish memory that, at the time, would serve as comic relief when recounting my daughter's precociousness and love of all things Vancouver.

We have lived for some time in Houston, Texas and every year we infest the Toyota Centre to see Houston's AHL club play the Moose. My daughter, who is now 4 loves to paint her face, wear her Team Canada jersey and sing the national anthem. She has a more than passing knowledge of The Canucks and she had taken quite a shine to both Luc and Mike Keane.

I took her to the glass so that she could see Keane and Luc warm up and she loved to stand on the outside dasher and bang the glass as they would skate by. This time around, she caught Luc's eye and he came up and banged the glass for her with his stick and they shared a tangible moment. He smiled at her and put his glove on the glass so that she could put her tiny hand out and they could connect between the glass.

Before the game we were able to meet Luc and he gave my daughter a puck and was ever so thoughtful to give her a high five before going (late) to the dressing room. For weeks after she referred to Luc as her best friend and even brought the puck to her Montessori school for show and tell. In Hoston, a puck has the same awed reverence that a moon rock or sasquatch would have.

So, that's it. Just a nice kid who did a nice thing."
The Bronze
Fledgling

Post by The Bronze »

Stole the image off photobucket, it might not work.
The Bronze
Fledgling

Post by The Bronze »

The makeshift memorial outside GM Place at around 3 pm May 30.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”