Motorcycles - an irresponsible indulgence (Luc Bourdon)

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Poindexter
Guru

Motorcycles - an irresponsible indulgence (Luc Bourdon)

Post by Poindexter »

I hate to sound callous but I have a hard time feeling sorry for young guys who are silly enough to think the freedom of a bike is worth the risk of driving in the fast lane next to a 90 year old driver on meds with reading glasses. The roads are not safe and accidents are innevitable. Why drive something that limits your chances of survival or your quality of life due to severe injury when that accident occurs?

After reading the castanet artical stating that motorcyclists are 15 times more likely to be in an accident than a regular driver, it makes me wonder why teams don't insist players stay off them while under contract.

This is a huge setback for a team that is starved for talent and more importantly a devastating blow to his family.

Do your family and friends a favor and stay off motorcycles, it's an irresponsible indulgence after knowing the facts about thier safety.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
The Bronze
Fledgling

Re: Motorcycles - an irresponsible indulgence (Luc Bourdon)

Post by The Bronze »

Why bother going outside? Why work on cranes? They collapse. Why ride your bicycle in the streets, when cars can hit you? Why take a walk to deliver mail when a helicopter can land on you? Ten years ago an NHL player died on Okanagan lake because he fell off a boat and was killed by the propellor. Boating isn't that safe either.

When Brent Sopel played for the Canucks he threw out his back bending over to pick up a cracker.

Life sucks sometimes and lousy things happen. That can't stop people from trying to enjoy life.
Last edited by The Bronze on May 30th, 2008, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

it actually wasn't a Castanet article, it was just ON Castanet.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... ashes.html
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
The Bronze
Fledgling

Post by The Bronze »

ferri wrote:it actually wasn't a Castanet article, it was just ON Castanet.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... ashes.html

I just read the story. Thanks for the update. I'd like to see studies on how dangerous drivers in cars are when they talk on cell phones, or eat while driving, etc etc ..ad nauseum.

Bourdon falls into the 'young male' category which is also apparently the worst category of driver out there. Everything is as safe/dangerous as the person operating it and the conditions they operate it in.
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

Are you just trying to start an arguement 'poindexter'?

I agree with 'The Bronze' - what next? This happens everytime something like this happens in sports, and now you think that Bourdon's accident should've been prevented by not letting him ride a motorcycle? Perhaps we shouldn't let them drive fast cars either (Dan Snyder) or ride in boats (Dmitri Tertyshny) or ..... you get the idea?
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Guy at work thought a bike would be cool, good on gas, within 3 days him and his bike were a mess. He survived but was lucky, claims someone cut him off and lost control on the shoulder. In a car that would be nothing.

Trust me I'm no prude, I was away this weekend camping on the lake, wakeboarded and tubed in 12 degree water. Not entirely safe, people have died in the past doing this but nowhere close to the numbers killed on bikes.

Comparing cranes falling and other crap like that is apples and oranges. We all know poeple who have been hurt on a Bike. Know anyone hit by a falling crane lately.

Ride a motor bike and your trusting people you wouldnt let hold your beer with your life.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

I have road big bore bikes for over 35 years and the first thing you do is dont trust know one, ride like every one does not see you and wants to kill you... A lot of people like the young NHL player go out and get there license then get the fastest bike on the market or a fancy HOG to pose beside. The trouble is they are clueless about the power and how they handle and end up DEAD...I still think there should be a 500cc limit for the first 2 years of a license so they can learn
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

My father-in-law has been riding for 3 or 4 decades without a problem but he talks the same way grumpy digger does about it's safety, he's not fooling himself like some of the other posters.

He's driven semi's his entire career and treats a bike the same way. Pretend the bike is 40 feet long, no zipping up the inside lane or in and out of traffic, slowing down before intersections. This one suprised me but he'll make 3 right turns instead of stopping in traffic to make a left if no left hand turn lane is there.

Problem is, how many people are willing or have the patience to ride this way. Doubt anyone under the age of 30 would even consider it. I know a firefighter who has scraped many "organ donors" off the pavement but still rides, but he's treats it the same. He's puts on full armor just to go to the corner store, even in summer.

Maybe Grumpy's right, better training and a 500cc limit during an extended learners period may have saved Luc's life. I just know I will do everything I can to keep my son off one.
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

Some of the things the police have determined:
The bike is/was an 2008 GSX-R1000. The rider had his license 3 weeks, and his bike 3 days. There are reports of gusting side winds of 70mph/120kmhr.

Sounds to me like an inexperienced rider on an unfamiliar bike in inhospitable conditions. RIP
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

While the bike played some part of the accident I'm sure, it was also said that he was passing another truck around a curve and hit the truck. He may have been blown into the other lane from the wind.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

He was a inexperienced rider on a high horsepower bike he had no business beening on.He died because he did not have a clue what he was doing....you can make very few mistakes on street bikes and it does not matter who's fault it is ====you are still died or crippled...It takes years to learn how to ride correctly ... Hes not the first boy to learn that the hard way and he will not be the last...............
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

Oh no, I agree with you completely there.

All I meant was, it wouldn't have mattered if it was a 600 or 1000.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

For what it's worth, some of the 'elite' English Premiership footballers are specifically not allowed to ride motorcycles(and other high-risk activities) as part of their contract. At the end of the day, a professional sportsman is a commodity and an asset, so the owners do what they see fit to protect their investment. If only this had been the case here.
So sad about Luc B., and condolences to his family.
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

Another hockey player involved in a motorcycle accident:
http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_9454700
Les Borsheim, a defender and forward for the Colorado Eagles hockey team, was in critical condition this morning at North Colorado Medical Center in Greeley after a motorcycle crash in rural Weld County on Sunday afternoon.

The US military is also concerned about this trend. They require helmets and safety vests be worn on base and require that riders take motorcycle safety courses before they can ride on base. Unfortunately a lot of those riders stop outside the base and remove the safety gear and put it back on a couple of blocks away when returning to the base. :129:
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Similar to the seatbelt in a car, safety gear may not save someone in a serious wreck, but makes a huge difference in those innevitable small accidents. People have died by road rash alone.

Maybe all the safety gear (armour and boots) should become law like helmets. Just in terms of insurance savings it should be looked at. It may also keep a few young kids off the bikes if they knew shorts and flip flops wouldnt cut it anymore.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”