Best boxing gym in Kelowna

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
keno
Fledgling

Best boxing gym in Kelowna

Post by keno »

ive looked it up and theres a few in town

im wondering if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with any of them, or any comments at all.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Best boxing gym in Kelowna

Post by Lady tehMa »

Welcome! Are you looking for a pure boxing gym? I know that Avatar out by McCurdy is a great gym, but they aren't pure boxing. You can do boxing, kickboxing, MMA, or Kenpo there.

Also, this will probably be relocated to the sports subforum under health and beauty by a mod.

I hope you enjoy it here. :)
I haven't failed until I quit.
Jordan123
Fledgling

Post by Jordan123 »

Mad Katz Boxing. They practice down in Peachland. It's my buddy Geoff who runs it. he's a great teacher. Equates all his boxing philosophy to life lessons. You can get ahold of him at the Blue Gator.

Cheers.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

If you're talking about strictly boxing, the Kelowna Boxing Club is unquestionably the best. Their students are much more successful at boxing than any other in Kelowna.

If boxing isn't really that important, but striking is, you can consider Avatar Self Defense - they offer kickboxing, boxing, kenpo, and MMA. The one thing they do lack, though, is a qualified grappling instructor to truly be considered well-rounded.

There's Toshido Fighting Arts, which offers Muai Thai kickboxing, submission wrestling, and Mixed Martial Arts. If you want to learn to fight, and be well-rounded, this is where you want to go.

Or if you want to learn from the most qualified grappling instructor outside of the lower mainland, RDC Academy is your best bet. The instructor is a brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and they offer the occasional MMA striking classes.

There's also the Jiu Jitsu Academy of Combat Arts, which teaches the most practical self defense that you can get. They teach Jishin-Ryu Jujitsu, submission grappling, and kickboxing. The target audience for the Academy, though, is mostly law enforcement, security, and military due to the extremely violent, but effective, nature of the martial art.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Is Mad Katz Boxing in Peachland open to all ages? For some reason I thought it was just for youth. I would really like to find a Boxing gym on the Westside that will take an old dude like me.
Smuckers
Board Meister

Post by Smuckers »

FreeRights wrote:There's Toshido Fighting Arts, which offers Muai Thai kickboxing, submission wrestling, and Mixed Martial Arts. If you want to learn to fight, and be well-rounded, this is where you want to go.

Thank you !
Jordan123
Fledgling

Post by Jordan123 »

logman wrote:Is Mad Katz Boxing in Peachland open to all ages? For some reason I thought it was just for youth. I would really like to find a Boxing gym on the Westside that will take an old dude like me.

It is. I have taken classes there, I am 26
Zelley.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Zelley. »

THISTLETOWN BOXING CLUB, Kelowna

All the best to those members in the 2009 B C Golden Gloves in May/
"The Old Familiar Faces" - Charles Lamb
"All. all, are gone, the old familiar faces"
Iceman_19

Post by Iceman_19 »

I am wondering this as well. I have been looking at a few of the websites for the local gyms, and all seem to claim theirs is the best. I am not looking to compete, just for the fitness/learning to fight properly aspect of it.
Zelley.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Zelley. »

Iceman_19 wrote:I am wondering this as well. I have been looking at a few of the websites for the local gyms, and all seem to claim theirs is the best. I am not looking to compete, just for the fitness/learning to fight properly aspect of it.

Funny, all gyms claiming to be the best!

Learning to fight properly is an open ended proposition.
It depends on the type of fighting.
If it is straight boxing, then the boxing gym appears to be the logical choice.

Picking the best :skyisfalling: :skippingsheep: :boxer:

I guess the first thing to learn is the basic stance and footwork.
When it comes to these two basics, even some of the open class
boxers overlook perfection in these two important areas. :ohmygod:

Each trainee must proceed at their own pace.
For those that put in the time and effort :sunshine:
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Iceman_19 wrote:I am wondering this as well. I have been looking at a few of the websites for the local gyms, and all seem to claim theirs is the best. I am not looking to compete, just for the fitness/learning to fight properly aspect of it.

I think your best bet would be to go around, meet people at the gyms. Sometimes you'll click, and sometimes you won't. Being there in person you'll see things you like (or don't like). Some places offer free lessons I think - try them out, see what place works best for you. :)
I haven't failed until I quit.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

If you want to learn how to fight, then a boxing club is not our best choice. Neither is Toshido. These are excellent sport teams, but there's a huge difference between boxing/MMA and actual fighting. It's better than nothing, but there are more realistic options available.

By most law enforcement and military professionals, Krav Maga is considered the best self defense. It isn't a martial art - it's a self defense system. And those who attest by it would know, since self defense is part of their job. Unfortunately, there's only three official training centres of true Krav Maga in Canada (closest is in Vancouver), so that's not a realistic option.

The best alternative in Kelowna is the Jiu Jitsu Academy of Combat Arts. They teach an excellent Jishin-Ryu Jujitsu class that is a modern take on traditional jiu jitsu.

There's a lot more to fighting than punching. Especially since it's easy to break your hand on a person's head, boxing only teaches one small portion of fighting - and they effectively ignore elbows, knees, kicks, headbutts, clinching, takedowns, groundfighting, and positional control. If you train boxing, punch a guy in the forehead once and break your hand, you'll be useless for the rest of the fight, and that could mean your life.

Boxing is a great sport, but as far as fighting goes, it's about as "useful" as taekwondo or kung-fu.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Zelley.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Zelley. »

FreeRights wrote:If you want to learn how to fight, then a boxing club is not our best choice. Neither is Toshido. These are excellent sport teams, but there's a huge difference between boxing/MMA and actual fighting. It's better than nothing, but there are more realistic options available.

By most law enforcement and military professionals, Krav Maga is considered the best self defense. It isn't a martial art - it's a self defense system. And those who attest by it would know, since self defense is part of their job. Unfortunately, there's only three official training centres of true Krav Maga in Canada (closest is in Vancouver), so that's not a realistic option.

The best alternative in Kelowna is the Jiu Jitsu Academy of Combat Arts. They teach an excellent Jishin-Ryu Jujitsu class that is a modern take on traditional jiu jitsu.

There's a lot more to fighting than punching. Especially since it's easy to break your hand on a person's head, boxing only teaches one small portion of fighting - and they effectively ignore elbows, knees, kicks, headbutts, clinching, takedowns, groundfighting, and positional control. If you train boxing, punch a guy in the forehead once and break your hand, you'll be useless for the rest of the fight, and that could mean your life.

Boxing is a great sport, but as far as fighting goes, it's about as "useful" as taekwondo or kung-fu.

If one learns how to box, it is unlikely they would punch somebody in the forehead.

If one knows how to punch properly, they would not break their hand hitting somebody in the forehead.

There is no one best, all types claim to be the best, but all claims are like dust in the wind.

Self defense is necessary for any skilled 'fighter', but self defense alone would not win matches.
To win, one must score, whatever the method of scoring is. It is all one big
"question of balance' - physical, mental and emotional. The fighter who is most :boxer: balanced
in all degrees should win the day.

If one is skilled in boxing, it is possible to score a one punch knockout against those that would attack! :skippingsheep: So, it is not necessary to skip around the subject regarding what is the best. :nyah:
Iceman_19

Post by Iceman_19 »

FreeRights wrote:If you want to learn how to fight, then a boxing club is not our best choice. Neither is Toshido. These are excellent sport teams, but there's a huge difference between boxing/MMA and actual fighting. It's better than nothing, but there are more realistic options available.

Funny you should mention Krava Maga, I have the training book, but no one to practise with, so thats kind of pointless.

I am more into boxing for the fitness potential, I am not looking to get into it for the 2am bar flush good times, lol. The learning to fight part was, well, just something that goes into boxing.
Zelley.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Zelley. »

At the end of the day it is all about choices and regrets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HRXvDQhWas
:skippingsheep: :sunshine: :suchlove: :goodorbad:

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”