Beginners cross-country skiing

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Neroicco

Beginners cross-country skiing

Post by Neroicco »

Hi - anyone recommend a good spot to try out cross country skiing? - ideally looking for clubs that can provide a bit of instruction and rental gear?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Beginners cross-country skiing

Post by Queen K »

I love x-country skiing.

Renting the equipment is a good idea, at first. However there is nothing like owning your own. This huge snowfall has provided many a chance to ski around the Parkinson Rec Center grounds, for free. Not to mention Robertson Park off of Willow Crescent.

I absolutely love the Nordic Ski club up past Big White for beginners. The colour code system denoting "beginners" is more honest than that of Telemark, up by Crystal Mountain.

Nordic has a lovely series of trails which interconnect better too. I found that on days that I was doing well, Nordic provides more opportunities to add kilometers to your ski run without committing you to huge amounts of time. In other words, shorter runs which curve around back to the main trails and back to the excellent cabin.

I found at Big White the trails are long, and I mean long, with more up and steep downs, with little opportunity to circumnavigate the steepness. That doesn't happen at Nordic, which is another 15-20 minutes past Big White and a right-hand turn off the highway.

Nordic has lessons for beginners, they have a website too, just use google.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Neroicco

Post by Neroicco »

thanks for the info!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

This Sunday's Jan. 4/09 Kelowna Daily Courier had a huge article about x-c skiing, either in the sports section or the lifestyle section. You can pick up tips there too.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I used to cross-country ski when I lived in the Carboo. Even entered a few races over the years. I have been thinking about getting back into it lately, but I notice it isn't as popular here in the Okangan than it was in the Cariboo. I used to buy my skis from Source For Sports where they have an entire wall dedicated to X-country skis, but the selection here in Kelowna seemed pretty small.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It is not promoted here as other places.

In the last couple of years a Vernon sports store was positioning themselves as THE xc ski store in the Okanagan, but I haven't seen their ads this year.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”