Fishing at Shannon Lake

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Fishing at Shannon Lake

Post by Catz »

I am so angry right now.
I took my son and to the lake we went to fish...they stock the lake and there is a netted area. I buy my licence, have a good bonding time with my son...lots of family there.

I was asked not to fish in the netted side with my son.
If that was a rule for everyone...fine, but there were a tonne of other adults fishing, as well.

2 people were so rude to me., and I will never go back.
Even my son said...why can the others fish, but not you?
I didn't even catch a flippin fish anyway.

So come, bring your kid, but you cannot stand a fish with him...just watch him.

Like I said I respect their rule...just include everyone with it...not pick and choose
ralphrob
Board Meister

Re: Fishing at Shannon Lake

Post by ralphrob »

And the reason was....?
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

don't know.

that's the thing...if I was the only adult fishing, fine...but I wasn't.
what is good for the goose is good for the gander.
that is what I am upset about...fine...then go tell everyone else fishing to do the same.

so much for family fun.
I will go somewhere else to fish with my son.
Honda59
Fledgling

Post by Honda59 »

Children Encouraged to ‘Go Fish’
For the third straight year Central Okanagan children have weekend opportunities to
experience the sport of fishing…all in the safety of a Regional Park!
Regional District Parks Services and its partners kick off their ‘Go Fish’ program this
weekend. Activities will be held on Saturday, April 25th around the Hall Road pond in
Mission Creek Regional Park and on Sunday, April 26th in Shannon Lake Regional Park.
Volunteers with area angling organizations will provide a barbeque during each of the
opening weekend events.
Communications Coordinator Bruce Smith says, “Weekends through Sunday June 14th
from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm, youngsters under the age of 16 will be able to catch one
rainbow trout each day, without the need to have a fishing license. Each Saturday,
volunteers from the Kelowna Fish and Game Club will provide equipment and expert
fishing guidance at the Hall Road pond, while members of the Peachland Sportsmen’s
Association will lend their fishing expertise to ‘Go Fish’ participants in a netted area at
the south end of Shannon Lake in Shannon Lake Regional Park. Each Sunday,
Regional Parks Services staff will provide equipment and will be available to help
youngsters as they try their luck.”
Throughout the duration of the program and with the support of the Freshwater Fisheries
Society of B.C. each of the fishing locations will be stocked with rainbow trout measuring
25 – 30 centimetres (ten to 12 inches) that have been reared at the Summerland Trout
Hatchery. Mark Siemens, manager of the Summerland Trout Hatchery says, “Fishing is
a fantastic lifelong pastime that provides an opportunity to get outdoors, learn about
nature and the importance of sustaining our resources. One of the unique aspects of
this urban fishing program is that it brings these experiences close to home for
youngsters who might not normally be able to participate in the sport.”
The ‘Go Fish’ project is a partnership involving the Regional District of Central
Okanagan, the Ministry of Environment, the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC and
Summerland Trout Hatchery. Volunteer labour and materials are being provided by the
Kelowna Fish and Game Club, the Lonely loon Fly Fishing Club, the Peachland
Sportsmen’s Association and the Summerland Trout Hatchery.
Smith adds, “If you plan to take part, please respect our park neighbours by parking only
in the designated areas. Participants under age 16 are not required to have a fishing
license for this program but if possible they should bring their own fishing equipment, as
each site will have a limited number of rods and reels available to borrow.”
-30-
Bruce Smith
RDCO Communications Coordinator
250-469-6339
News Release
1450 K.L.O. Road
Kelowna, B.C. V1W 3Z4
Telephone: (250) 763-4918
Fax: (250) 763-0606
www.regionaldistrict.com
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Like I said, then make the rule applcable to all of the adults, not just a select few.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

just read it again...am I missing the part where they say mom and dad are not allowd to fish with their children?
ralphrob
Board Meister

Post by ralphrob »

I had forgotten it was the annual kids' weekend. NO adults cannot fish in the netted area for the rainbows while the event is on. The adults you saw were probably the Fish & Game Club guys helping the kids.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

No they were not.

They were other parents with their kids.

ETA...see the front page of the news paper...

what is good for one is good for everyone.
MommyOf2
Fledgling

Post by MommyOf2 »

I agree, if one can't do it than it should apply to all.
I was there last year and although they never told my husband not to help our son...they did make it clear that if he did not have a license and was caught that he would get a fine.

I personally think it should be for the kids to learn and the parents should step back and I told my husband the same thing at the time. I found last year that the parents who were helping kinda took over and the kids were kinda left out and just told to watch and learn. I know not all parents did that but there were alot that did.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Every year we have been allowd to fish...a good family day.
If they said o to all parents, I would have been fine with it.

I love fishing...taught my SO, and kids how to fish :discodance:
Bruce Smith

Post by Bruce Smith »

It's Bruce Smith from the Regional District.

Thank you for raising your concern. The Regional District, which operates the program with our angling club partners, apologizes for any misunderstanding that may have occurred.

More than 600 youngsters participated during the kickoff Sunday for this year's program at Shannon Lake Regional Park (and 400 others at the Hall Road pond in Mission Creek Regional Park. Our goal and that of our partners, is to provide the opportunity for as many youngsters as possible to experience the sport. Congestion during the opening event is always an issue at Shannon Lake, as there are several unfishable spots (bull rushes along the shorline) inside the netted area. As a result, there is no shortage of youngsters who wish to fish and limited spots available for them to do it.

Aside from promoting the experience of fishing, we are also obviously concerned with safety and knowing who is around you and when it's safe to cast your line. With so many novice fishers, the fewer 'extra' people standing or sitting around who may catch an errant and misguided hook, the safer it will be. Most parents will after setting their youngster up, will move back in a safe range. They also recognize that because of the volume of youngsters hoping to get their hook into the water, that space is at a premium and take turns rotating into and out of fishing spots in order to give as many children as possible a chance to try their luck.

We and our partners know that youngsters may require help since the program is designed to give youngsters under age 16 that are not familiar with fishing, a chance to learn to fish. As a result, some of them may need assistance from either the volunteers or their parents. However, we certainly don't want parents to fish, as the program is for youngsters.

We would encourage people to try out the program, which is possible thanks to the generousity of our volunteers with the Peachland Sportsmens Association at Shannon Lake and the Kelowna Fish and Game Club at Mission Creek, along with the Conservation Officers, BC Freshwater Fisheries Society and Ministry of Environment who have come together for this third season of ‘Go Fish’. It runs each weekend from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm at the two locations until Sunday, June 14th. By the way, there’s a one fish a day limit for youngsters during this program to ensure as many youth as possible have a chance to catch one.

Bruce Smith
RDCO Communications Coordinator
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Hi Bruce,

It is not the fact that this was 'only' for kids so much, which I do understand.

It was the manner in which I was spoken to, and asked to leave .
While I sat, I watched the number of other adults fishing next to their kids...and not ones that needed help, and that is what I am upset about.

If you asked a few parents to leave...all should leave except for of course the ones that needed help. That was not the case from where I stood.

I am not sure if you understand my point.
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

I don't get this thread. I took my son fishing there on Sunday. We had a terrific time. They had rods there available all set up with bobbers. They even had a selection of artificial baits. Everything was free, set up and ready for the kids. I brought my son's fishing rod but didn't realize it was trout fishing and was set to fish for bass so I had no bobbers with me. They were quick to offer me one of the pre-set rods with bobber hooked up. I cast for him and let him hold the rod and reel in. I didn't see any other adults fishing. Helping their kids fish yes, but not fishing themselves.

When it was over at 3 we simply walked over a couple of dozen yards out of the roped off area and we both put lines in.

The purpose of the roped off area was pretty obviously for kids only. I could understand this thread if they had banned adult fishing on all of Shannon Lake but the section for kids is just the tiny little bay and there's plenty of other areas on the lake for adults to fish with their kids. Not sure what the big deal is.

No they shouldn't have talked to you the way you suggest they did but then again we don't know how you talked to them either, and who knows, judging by how unfair you seem to think the situation was it may well be that you lost your temper and prompted the response.

I may have missed it, but I believe the people out there were volunteers and they'd done a great job of having everything set up for the kids. Maybe they resented the lack of appreciation for all the work they'd done for yours and other parents kids like mine.

It was terrific and my son can't wait to go back this weekend. I'll bring my rod too and take some time to fish with him outside the roped off area. I encourage all parents with little ones to come out. Great fun.
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

That's normally how it goes...a lot of fun.
We were there earlier, and it was not that way...

I usually am pretty understanding, so maybe I have a point
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Grow up Puffy, for your kid's sake. You're turning your "issue" into a soccer mom mentality. Fishing is NOT soccer. Let your kid learn to love fishing, as it will benefit him for the rest of his life. Don't let your petty, silly indignation deprive him of that.

As the BC Wildlife Federation says, "Kids who hunt, trap, and fish don't mug little old ladies".
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”