Kelowna Rockets

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Kelowna Rockets

Post by GordonH »

Hell of an effort guys, thank-you for very good season of hockey.

Another Thank-you to those due to age will not be back next season:
Tyson Baillie
Cole Linaker
Jackson Whistle

As I've mentioned before WHL rules on 20 year olds, they can only have 3 after Oct 16, there will be 6 unfortunately 3 will have to leave.

Until training Camp
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Have to agree, a very entertaining season. Sad to see it end, in this way! I think the two games at home we outplayed them, but goal tending was a large part to their success.

Enjoy your summer fellows, see most all of you next year!
Play On! Kelowna

Post by Play On! Kelowna »

Quite an amazing year for the Rockets organization. Tough way to go out, but the lessons learned this season will help strengthen them for next. See another deep run into the playoffs for this squad next year.
www.playon.ca/events/kelowna
www.facebook.com/playonkelowna
Twitter: @playonkelowna
Instagram: @playonkelowna
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

The Kelowna Rockets and Head Coach Brad Ralph have agreed to part ways.

http://kelownarockets.com/article/rockets-and-ralph-part-ways

A bit of a surprise there, and I do wonder what brought this on. I don't think it can have anything to do with the on-ice performance of the hockey team. Maybe Brad has another offer pending, or maybe he just found that life in the WHL (or in Kelowna) was not for him.

Interesting to see where the Rockets go from here. In the past they've tended to hire from within...will Kris Mallette get his chance now? I believe last summer when the Rockets were searching for a coach (following Dan Lambert's departure), Bruce Hamilton said that Mallette was not a candidate. That could change now. Or will they look outside the organization? It will probably be at least a few months before we find out.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

JayByrd wrote:The Kelowna Rockets and Head Coach Brad Ralph have agreed to part ways.

http://kelownarockets.com/article/rockets-and-ralph-part-ways

A bit of a surprise there, and I do wonder what brought this on. I don't think it can have anything to do with the on-ice performance of the hockey team. Maybe Brad has another offer pending, or maybe he just found that life in the WHL (or in Kelowna) was not for him.

Interesting to see where the Rockets go from here. In the past they've tended to hire from within...will Kris Mallette get his chance now? I believe last summer when the Rockets were searching for a coach (following Dan Lambert's departure), Bruce Hamilton said that Mallette 7was not a candidate. That could change now. Or will they look outside the organization? It will probably be at least a few months before we find out.

Other busy off season for Bruce, getting players in to take over for those leaving due to age & now new head coach.
All the while putting on the ice a competitive team in BC division.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

GordonH wrote:Other busy off season for Bruce, getting players in to take over for those leaving due to age & now new head coach.
All the while putting on the ice a competitive team in BC division.

The good news for the Rockets is most of this team will be eligible to return next season.

Departing 20 yr olds are Jackson Whistle, Cole Linaker and Tyson Baillie.

1996-born players, who will compete for the three overage spots are Michael Herringer, Riley Stadel, Rodney Southam, Rourke Chartier, and Justin Kirkland.

After the Rockets playoff exit, Bruce Hamilton spoke of Herringer building on this season next year as a 20 yr old. I don't see a prospect likely to beat him out for the #1 spot, so Herringer is probably safe.

Southam as captain is probably safe.

Chartier has been signed by the San Jose Sharks and will almost definitely play pro next year. Signed players have been returned to junior as 20 yr olds before but it's rare.

If Justin Kirkland signs with Nashville (last I heard they were in talks) he'll be off to the pros as well.

Riley Stadel is a good soldier, but might be a candidate for a trade if Hamilton can bring in an impact 20 yr old.

So IMO, the only questions are, does Kirkland sign with Nashville, and do the Rockets keep Stadel or try to upgrade.

Anything can happen of course!
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

JayByrd wrote:The good news for the Rockets is most of this team will be eligible to return next season.

Departing 20 yr olds are Jackson Whistle, Cole Linaker and Tyson Baillie.

1996-born players, who will compete for the three overage spots are Michael Herringer, Riley Stadel, Rodney Southam, Rourke Chartier, and Justin Kirkland.

After the Rockets playoff exit, Bruce Hamilton spoke of Herringer building on this season next year as a 20 yr old. I don't see a prospect likely to beat him out for the #1 spot, so Herringer is probably safe.

Southam as captain is probably safe.

Chartier has been signed by the San Jose Sharks and will almost definitely play pro next year. Signed players have been returned to junior as 20 yr olds before but it's rare.

If Justin Kirkland signs with Nashville (last I heard they were in talks) he'll be off to the pros as well.

Riley Stadel is a good soldier, but might be a candidate for a trade if Hamilton can bring in an impact 20 yr old.

So IMO, the only questions are, does Kirkland sign with Nashville, and do the Rockets keep Stadel or try to upgrade.

Anything can happen of course!

My thoughts exactly.

I imagine they may want to get their coaching situation ironed out, then see what system the new bench boss likes, and see what pieces fit that system.

I like Stadel because he brings energy and is absolutely fearless, but if he can be traded out for some more scoring punch, I agree it would be a good move.

Looking forward to the next step taken by some of our 2015/16 rookies too. Smart is going to be one of our best d-men, and Thurkauf (hope he's back again) I'm certain is going to be a beast up front.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I checked out the Rockets preseason opener last night, a 6-5 win over the Victoria Royals.

Some random thoughts:

-The line of newly-acquired Jake Kryski, Conner Bruggen-Cate, and Tyler Wishnowski was deadly. Kryski and Bruggen-Cate in particular made sweet music down low in the attacking zone. Bruggen-Cate AP'd quite a bit for the Rockets last year, and will most likely be a full-timer this season.

-Kaden Korczak, the Rockets first round pick in this summer's bantam draft, is getting a long look in camp, though he's not eligible to play this year. Korczak was scrambling at times (understandable for someone who hasn't even played midget hockey yet) but definitely has size and mobility.

-Calvin Thurkauf was a wrecking ball, and seemed to be in the middle of every scrum.

-Brodan Salmond, who joined the team last year to back up Michael Herringer in goal, played the first half of the game and looked strong. 16 yr old James Porter, who remains with the Rockets due to a minor injury to Herringer, played the second half, and was barely able to keep the Royals at bay. While he didn't receive stellar defensive support, he spent a lot of time on his bum, scrambling to find the puck. He did make some good saves as well, and recorded the win. He doesn't appear to be a threat to make the team however.

Overall, the Rockets will return most of last year's squad. They've lost some firepower up front, but players like Kryski, and Dillon Dube, who did not play last night, will have a chance to fill the void. A repeat of last year's success is not out of the question IMO.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ biggest key for any GM is the ability to find & bring in new players that adds to seasoned players, then hope the chemistry works. If everything fits together then good hockey season will happen
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

GordonH wrote:^^^ biggest key for any GM is the ability to find & bring in new players that adds to seasoned players, then hope the chemistry works. If everything fits together then good hockey season will happen

When Bob Brown was GM of the Kamloops Blazers, he was the embodiment of this. "Reload, not rebuild" was the philosophy there, and they had strong, if not dominant teams for many years. Bruce Hamilton and Lorne Frey have been able to replicate this somewhat in Kelowna (though we are lacking the three Memorial Cup wins in four seasons. :200:)
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Rockets better tighten their skate laces up and start playing the game. PG Cougars are wupping their butts!
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

Just one question. What the hell is wrong with the Kelowna Rockets?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Straight Shooter wrote:Just one question. What the hell is wrong with the Kelowna Rockets?

3 head coach in as many years, turn over of players due to age. Biggest one others teams in the division are starting peak.
It happens CHL each team has 4 year window with players, the quicker the team gels as unit the better the chances are they make post season.

Each new coach has similar goals but maybe little different ways of getting there. Once Kelowna gets a coach that wants stick around for few years, consistence may happen.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Looked better in the first period then *bleep* ???? Well at least they got a win out of it.
What I hate right now is parking anywhere near Prospera, and refuse to pay 15 bucks to park in the lot. Seems to be getting harder and harder to find parking

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”