Vancouver Canucks

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Re: Vancouver Canucks

Post by sooperphreek »

So much can happen in a season that it is silly to make predictions. Case in point? 2014 Calgary Flames. No one thought they would be a credible team in the Pacific division but were. Another is the blue jays. Hovering 500 in july. And tore it up and won division after all star break. Vancouver seems to get written off every year and are usually consistent.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

sooperphreek wrote:So much can happen in a season that it is silly to make predictions. Case in point? 2014 Calgary Flames. No one thought they would be a credible team in the Pacific division but were. Another is the blue jays. Hovering 500 in july. And tore it up and won division after all star break. Vancouver seems to get written off every year and are usually consistent.

Actually I believed once Calgary got #1 goalie they would be a contender, which they did with Hiller. How in off season they boosted there defence by adding Hamilton.
Since I'm not a big baseball fan, can't comment on Blue Jays.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Vancouver was unable to ink a trade at the deadline, so 2 UFA's on July 1 can pick a deal and Canucks get absolutely nothing in return except Cap space.

Oh the 2 players in question are Vrbata (34 years old) & Hamhuis (33 years old)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

GordonH wrote:Vancouver was unable to ink a trade at the deadline, so 2 UFA's on July 1 can pick a deal and Canucks get absolutely nothing in return except Cap space.

If the Canucks are able to sign Hamhuis at discount this summer it wont be a complete screw up. I figured even if traded that Hamhuis would sign with the Canucks in the offseason anyway so it definately is a lost opportunity. Especially when there was a deal with Dallas that Benning missed out on.

Vrbata on the other hand could probably clear wavers with the interest in him. They should send him to the minors to fill the void left in the Comets by the trade of thier top scorer Hunter. One I'm still shaking my head over.

Why wouldn't the Canucks have at least tried to trade Miller, Markstrome is the goalie of the future and keeping Miller interferes with his development.

All in all Bennings did little to change his beleaguered image as a mediocre GM at best.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Vancouver was unable to ink a trade at the deadline, so 2 UFA's on July 1 can pick a deal and Canucks get absolutely nothing in return except Cap space.

Poindexter wrote:If the Canucks are able to sign Hamhuis at discount this summer it wont be a complete screw up. I figured even if traded that Hamhuis would sign with the Canucks in the offseason anyway so it definately is a lost opportunity. Especially when there was a deal with Dallas that Benning missed out on.

Vrbata on the other hand could probably clear wavers with the interest in him. They should send him to the minors to fill the void left in the Comets by the trade of thier top scorer Hunter. One I'm still shaking my head over.

Why wouldn't the Canucks have at least tried to trade Miller, Markstrome is the goalie of the future and keeping Miller interferes with his development.

All in all Bennings did little to change his beleaguered image as a mediocre GM at best.

Thing is they could have rented Hamhuis (he had only teams he was willing to move to Chicago or Dallas) out and got him back on July 1, meanwhile getting draft pick for him. As for Vrbata any draft pick & minor league player would have worked.
Something is whole lot better then nothing.

Your right about Miller, to a contender who could use a good backup (on playoff run). Even if Vancouver had carry some of his salary, and get couple draft picks (anything).
Vancouver has gone from a GM that did horrible deals to one who appears to not do any.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:Vancouver has gone from a GM that did horrible deals to one who appears to not do any.

It doesn't seem to matter much as they don't win with either one!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Vancouver has gone from a GM that did horrible deals to one who appears to not do any.

Bsuds wrote:It doesn't seem to matter much as they don't win with either one!

Unfortunately do to past GM's giving out no trades clauses & no movement clauses like candy in Vancouver, both Trevor Linden & Jim Benning hands are tied
Current 8 players have NTC (4 of them also have no movement as well) on Vancouver Canucks unless player wave it's and/or asks to be traded (as both Kesler & Bieksa did), if not the Canucks are stuck with them:

Daniel Sedin has both NTC & NMC (contact is up on July 1, 2018)
Henrik Sedin has both NTC & NMC (contact is up on July 1, 2018)
Radim Vrbata has both NTC & NMC (contact up July 1, 2016)
Alexandre Burrows has NTC (contact up July 1, 2017)
Jannik Hansen has NTC (contact up July 1, 2018)
Alexander Edler has NTC (contact up July 1, 2019)
Dan Hamhuis has NTC (contact up July 1, 2016)
Ryan Miller has both NTC & NMC (contact up July 1, 2017)

In my personal opinion NTC & NMC suck, should only be giving out the top elite players. Even then think twice before giving it out
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

Too bad some players are too slow to realize that the club needs to move some of them, or is it greed. good example is the twins, they could help some club to the cup, instead of staying in van.and holding up the rebuilding.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

alfred2 wrote:Too bad some players are too slow to realize that the club needs to move some of them, or is it greed. good example is the twins, they could help some club to the cup, instead of staying in van.and holding up the rebuilding.
I think the twins have earned the right to retire as Canucks. They have not only been great for the Canucks on the ice but off the ice as well with community involvement.
Certain players should get to make this choice and the twins are two examples of that.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

this is hockey not some adult daycare. what right they have been well paid, have not won anything like the cup, and take their money and go to sweden.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

alfred2 wrote:this is hockey not some adult daycare. what right they have been well paid, have not won anything like the cup, and take their money and go to sweden.
They have donated countless hours to children's hospital, millions of dollars to charities in BC.
I have to laugh that you single them out for a lack of a cup coming to Vancouver. Yes because Vancouver had so many cups prior to their arrival.!

Anyhow, it's time to free willy and move in a different direction in regards to coaching.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

dieseluphammerdown is their coach that you think could get the job done in Vancouver.

As I've pervious mentioned the number of untouchable players on Canucks due to NTC's, creates massive problem rebuilding a team.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

imo there should be no such thing as a ntc's in pro sports
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

GordonH wrote:dieseluphammerdown is their coach that you think could get the job done in Vancouver.

As I've pervious mentioned the number of untouchable players on Canucks due to NTC's, creates massive problem rebuilding a team.
Willie has to many times has mismanaged game situations and imo has directly caused
loses through these choices.
Well imnot a fan of NTC or NMC this again imo has not cost the Canucks as many games as poor coaching decisions have.

As for coaches I'd like to see behind the bench, Ted Nolan, Randy Carlyle, or even the return of Marc Crawford.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

the coach does not play on the ice. He should bench the twins and put some passion on the ice.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”