Vancouver Canucks

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Vancouver Canucks

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:Vancouver's goaltending issues could be as easy as Dan Cloutier is as effective as a goalie coach has he was a goalie. Just a possible reason lol

As the saying goes. Those that can, do. Those who can't, teach...
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Vancouver's goaltending issues could be as easy as Dan Cloutier is as effective as a goalie coach has he was a goalie. Just a possible reason lol

Bsuds wrote:As the saying goes. Those that can, do. Those who can't, teach...

impo the biggest mistake Trevor has made, hiring Dan.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Wish Linden would just let someone else do Benning's job during the trade deadline. How did he manage not to get one of the 17 draft picks moved?

What he got for Vanek was just embarrassing. A player who's marginal even in the AHL, but only if the Canucks take the 1.1 million left on a UFA.

All I can say is that Benning is lucky he signed a new 3 deal the other day because fans will be calling for his head after yet another whiff at the deadline.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Poindexter wrote:Wish Linden would just let someone else do Benning's job during the trade deadline. How did he manage not to get one of the 17 draft picks moved?

What he got for Vanek was just embarrassing. A player who's marginal even in the AHL, but only if the Canucks take the 1.1 million left on a UFA.

All I can say is that Benning is lucky he signed a new 3 deal the other day because fans will be calling for his head after yet another whiff at the deadline.

Hopefully when the twins (7 mil each cap hit) retire prior to Free agency (impo foolish to even think of resigning them to any contract). Vancouver finally does the right thing & goes into full rebuild mode.

Keeping their current young talent on the ice they have now.

Maybe encouraging players like:
Edler to wave the NTC (5 mill cap hit)
Eriksson to wave the NTC (6 mil cap hit) never came close to all the hype

Vancouver is 28th out of 31 teams, so they have a small chance of winning draft lottery. So don't bet the farm on winning that, so rebuild from within.

If those 4 player are either by retiring meaning the twins & other 2 are moving on, that would be 25 million back in the cap.

Added later: as for management of the Canucks imo that is totally up to the ownership & direction they want to head in.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

You may be right, they were the ones who turned down a 3rd for Hamuis a few years back. Then I guess my only question to ownership would be, why would the Canucks give Benning, whose strength is scouting good players late in the draft, so few draft picks to work with year after year? A concerning stat is that since Benning has been GM, the Canucks have yet to trade for a draft pick at the deadline. At least not one I can't recall, correct me if I'm wrong but that's just mismanagement and not working to your strengths.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Poindexter wrote:You may be right, they were the ones who turned down a 3rd for Hamuis a few years back. Then I guess my only question to ownership would be, why would the Canucks give Benning, whose strength is scouting good players late in the draft, so few draft picks to work with year after year? A concerning stat is that since Benning has been GM, the Canucks have yet to trade for a draft pick at the deadline. At least not one I can't recall, correct me if I'm wrong but that's just mismanagement and not working to your strengths.

Here is a link of trades involving the Canucks (Benning became GM mid May of 2014, I believe)
http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/tra ... _Canucks/1
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

THE MAJOR PROBLEM canucks have are 2 greedy twins that will not leave their well paid secure job, and not do anything to justify their salary. Shame on 2 has been players that have not won one thing for bc. :200: :smt045 :swear:
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Appreciate that link, does help but I am aware of other trades for picks but I was specific to the trade deadline. That's the point teams are aware they won't make the playoffs which is why effected give GM's move UFA's and other players that aren't in the team's long term goals.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Poindexter wrote:I am aware of other trades for picks but I was specific to the trade deadline. That's the point teams are aware they won't make the playoffs which is why effected give GM's move UFA's and other players that aren't in the teams long term plan.

Since the players that would maybe cause interest for teams who need a that little push, are most likely the ones with NTC.
Then it's the player who has the control, if they are not interested in moving.

So who do you think Vancouver has that would be good trade bait for draft picks Poindexter
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:Here is a link of trades involving the Canucks (Benning became GM mid May of 2014, I believe)

Except for a couple of names I recognize there's not many on that list.

Maybe they should trade Benning?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Here is a link of trades involving the Canucks (Benning became GM mid May of 2014, I believe)

Bsuds wrote:Except for a couple of names I recognize there's not many on that list.

Maybe they should trade Benning?

Vancouver Canuck GM's have always been famous for doing bonehead trades. Most likely the biggest one was Cam Neely
(who the hell is Barry Pederson) very close behind was trading Trevor Linden away (this was done after Pat Quinn was fired & before Brain Burke was hired)

Added Later: in Canuck history most likely their best GM was Pat Quinn, impo......
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I think they made a movie about Canuck GM's.

Clueless.... :biggrin:
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Whoot whoot!

Last week, Pettersson surpassed Peter Forsberg for the second-most points ever in Sweden’s top league by a player under the age of 20. Forsberg had his big season in 1992-93, two years after the Philadelphia Flyers chose him sixth overall.

Pettersson now has 55 points in 43 games, which not only sets an historical record for his age group, but also makes him the highest scoring player in the entire league this season despite missing games to play at the world juniors.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sportsn ... rd/sn-amp/
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

Time the canucks stopped picking swedes, they have never brought the cup to bc. They do not have any extra passion for the cup, all it is the money. Look at the twins slow and not good enough any more , but they are still collecting a big pay :swear: :cuss: cheque.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Canucks management is doing a bang up job and I, for one, would love them to keep at it. Re signing the twins to another long term deal is priority number one followed by trading Boeser before he gets too expensive.

Signed,

Flames Fan

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”