Vancouver Canucks

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
mekathy
Übergod

Re: Vancouver Canucks

Post by mekathy »

albertabound wrote:Luongo needs to leave the canucks, he needs a break from all the crys that blame him for the inepet team.
Get rid of kessler the actor and cry babey,get players that stick to playing hockey. Defence needs 2 new bodies,

someone that can play with the twins. They have to get a new attitude,more of a humble one instead of
the arogant one theyhave now.Beieksa must of been hurt he did not play well.
:sunshine: :sunshine:

Never thought I would ever agree with any of your posts but have to agree with most of this one. I would like to see Luongo go to a team where the fans don't turn on him in a split second. The team plays like crap, Luongo is on, and he still comes out the villain. Kessler was a dud virtually the whole season. He came across as cocky and arrogant and not at all like the player we had in him last year.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Luongo wasn't perfect and had a few major flaws in his style, some of which lead to some horrible goals at key times. Probably most notable is his habit of lunging at pucks, not only did it take him out of position, it made for some ugly poke in goals since he opened up down low when he went swimming. So we can't blame the fans entirely but I do agree they did get a bit harsh, in this case it may be for the better because it's forced Gillis' hand to keep Schnieder who is a better all around netminder.

This other discussion going on about replacing Coach Vig and Gillis seems pointless after two pres cups, even the best teams run into hot goalies and now were seeing Quick take over the series againt St Louis. Hopefully that will be Schnieder next year after he gets the chance to be the main man for the season.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Poindexter wrote:Luongo wasn't perfect and had a few major flaws in his style, some of which lead to some horrible goals at key times. Probably most notable is his habit of lunging at pucks, not only did it take him out of position, it made for some ugly poke in goals since he opened up down low when he went swimming. So we can't blame the fans entirely but I do agree they did get a bit harsh, in this case it may be for the better because it's forced Gillis' hand to keep Schnieder who is a better all around netminder.

This other discussion going on about replacing Coach Vig and Gillis seems pointless after two pres cups, even the best teams run into hot goalies and now were seeing Quick take over the series againt St Louis. Hopefully that will be Schnieder next year after he gets the chance to be the main man for the season.

When Luongo stayed upright he was very much unbeatable his habit of flopping down like fish was weakness he has, the fans in Vancouver fall off bandwagon so very easy(I think seat belts should be installed lol).
One of the rumours going around which I'm little surprised Darren Dreger has gotten evolved in is AV and Montreal Canadeins.
First off Montreal would need Vancouver's permission to even talk to AV which I highly doubt Gillis would grant.
IMO Vancouver makes a deal trading Luongo, being careful not give to away important elements of the team or it's future players. 100% hindsight can be a b**ch.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

GordonH wrote:
When Luongo stayed upright he was very much unbeatable his habit of flopping down like fish was weakness he has, the fans in Vancouver fall off bandwagon so very easy(I think seat belts should be installed lol).
One of the rumours going around which I'm little surprised Darren Dreger has gotten evolved in is AV and Montreal Canadeins.
First off Montreal would need Vancouver's permission to even talk to AV which I highly doubt Gillis would grant.
IMO Vancouver makes a deal trading Luongo, being careful not give to away important elements of the team or it's future players. 100% hindsight can be a b**ch.

How long is AV's contract ?
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

xjeepguy wrote:How long is AV's contract ?

He has 1 year left on his current contract. I thought he had 2, knowing this anything could happen.
If Gillis wants him to stay he will offer an extension, Gillis is really going to busy.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

xjeepguy wrote:How long is AV's contract ?

GordonH wrote:He has 1 year left on his current contract. I thought he had 2, knowing this anything could happen.
If Gillis wants him to stay he will offer an extension, Gillis is really going to busy.

Ya I doubt they will let him go . Aside from our playoff woes , the Canucks pack the house every game all season long ( and have been doing so for years ) and at good prices too .
jaz301
Walks on Forum Water

Post by jaz301 »

The thing that always pisses me off with AV is when cnaucks are down like 4-0 he keeps Luo in net.
Life is too sho......
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

jaz301 wrote:The thing that always pisses me off with AV is when cnaucks are down like 4-0 he keeps Luo in net.

Yep but I think he's torn between his ambitions and wants and upper managements expectations of an expensive goalie ?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

So 1 down 12+ to go as in contacts within Canucks that is.

Mike Gillis
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

2 down Mike Gillis signed extension now Alain Vigneault signs an extension to his contract. Now on to dealing with the players contracts.

39 days to sign Cory Schneider or have to match what someone is willing to pay him, he is RFA as of July 1.

Samuel Pahlsson UFA
Mason Raymond RFA
Byron Bitz UFA
Aaron Volpatti UFA
Dale Weise RFA
Andrew Ebbett UFA
Sami Salo UFA
Aaron Rome UFA
Marc-Andre Gragnani RFA

Also what is going to happen with Roberto Luongo, it's anyones guess.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Interested Party wrote:I was happy to see AV get an extension. Now just to trade Luongo and get Schneider signed up. Things will look really good for next year, as all the cap room will be opened up by getting Luongo off the books.

I'm expecting the Canucks are going to have to take a hit on Luongo contract.... meaning having to buy-out some of it in order for a deal to happen. Which will go against their Cap space, it's one of the issues of long term contracts.

IMO long term contracts are usually a bad idea.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:I'm expecting the Canucks are going to have to take a hit on Luongo contract.... meaning having to buy-out some of it in order for a deal to happen. Which will go against their Cap space, it's one of the issues of long term contracts.

Interested Party wrote:Yeah you are probably right - the Canucks won't get the full cap space this year, but at least next year. I don't know what management was doing signing Luongo for that long. I just hope they have enough cash to entice another D man here of the calibre of Hamhuis. Salo has to go, too old and slow.

Here is a buy-out that is still effected a teams salary cap and will for another 3 years Alexei Yashin he has not played in the league since 2006-07. Now Luongo's will not be as bad unless no one is interested & Canucks want him out of the line-up.

As for who Canucks will pick-up :smt102 , but I would like to be a fly on the wall of those meetings. lol
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

GordonH wrote:
I'm expecting the Canucks are going to have to take a hit on Luongo contract.... meaning having to buy-out some of it in order for a deal to happen. Which will go against their Cap space, it's one of the issues of long term contracts.

I suspect at the time it's the thing that gets the deal though . Just seems to be a part of sports contracts .
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

So Gillis has said they will match any offers for Cory Schneider, so this could be an interesting summer.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Schneider has been signed, 3 years, $12 million (U.S. of course).

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”