NHL

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: NHL

Post by GordonH »

So looking at 1 team, lets see what they done:

Its started in the head office:
Bringing in Bob Nicholson as CEO
Then adding Peter Chiarelli as GM
Winning draft lottery #1 spot
Then hiring Todd McLellan as head coach

Players
Connor McDavid (F)
Griffin Reinhart (D)
Cam Talbot (G)
Brad Ross (F)
Eric Gryba (D)
Already in the Oilers organization Darnell Nurse (D)

Based on what I see here plus those players already on the team, I only see this team going to the top in Pacific Division.

Looking over the other moves within Pacific Division all but 2 teams have improved there chances. Those 2 that have not both have an aging roster.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Based on both how they played this past season and moves they have made at draft & free agency. I can see 5 of the 7 Canadian based NHL teams could/may make the playoffs next season. I'll let you guess who they are, should be pretty simple.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

who will not make the playoffs
van and to
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Both, and peace will also break out in the Middle East. :)
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Toronto Maple Leafs have announced their new GM Lou Lamoriello http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=775458
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

wow big move for them, nice catch imo
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

the truth wrote:wow big move for them, nice catch imo

Time will tell if off ice changes, result with on ice improvements.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

No ice right now (except in my drinks)...it's too friggin hot!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote:No ice right now (except in my drinks)...it's too friggin hot!

Actually the prospects for all NHL teams play threw the summer months, then at end some are invited to training camp.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

the truth wrote:wow big move for them, nice catch imo
Lou is not a good catch the game has passed him by, just look at the shambles he has left the Devils in .
The Leafs continue to be a no where franchise and picking up a 72 year old GM is just more evidence of this.

The Leafs are starting a rebuild or continuing their rebuild that started in 67, either way it'll take five or so years to complete a rebuild if done properly through a youth movement and by that time Lou will be pushing to the 80 year old mark.

I'm not complaining though as it is enjoyable to watch this franchise fail year after year.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Dale Tallon was unavailable, if he was he would have been a better choice.
I suspect Lou was brought in to teach the young Assistance GM the ropes to being a GM in the NHL.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

GordonH wrote:^^^ Dale Tallon was unavailable, if he was he would have been a better choice.
I suspect Lou was brought in to teach the young Assistance GM the ropes to being a GM in the NHL.
That seems to be the consensus on hockey forums I frequent .
I'm not sure what Lou has to offer an up and coming young GM at this point in his career.
Again look at the mess he has left the Devils in, I think that it go's to show Lou's hockey blue print is no longer relevant in todays NHL .
Since Lou enter the League as a GM the game has changed, and to bring him in to mentor someone , in a roll that Lou himself has been failing in over the last five or so years imo wont work.
Like you said only time will tell, having said that I believe this is a big step backwards.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

I can see it now, Lou will once again fire a coach and replace said coach with himself behind the bench something he has done on more than one occasion.
This is another thing that makes no sense in Leaf nation hiring a coach before hiring your GM.
Babcock is not Lou's hire so Lou and Babcock may not be on the same page when it comes to rebuilding and the types of players needed for the franchises vision in the future .

I don't think this is the end of the mess known as the Leaf in the NHL.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

dieseluphammerdown wrote:I can see it now, Lou will once again fire a coach and replace said coach with himself behind the bench something he has done on more than one occasion.
This is another thing that makes no sense in Leaf nation hiring a coach before hiring your GM.
Babcock is not Lou's hire so Lou and Babcock may not be on the same page when it comes to rebuilding and the types of players needed for the franchises vision in the future .

I don't think this is the end of the mess known as the Leaf in the NHL.

That would not fly dieseluphammerdown, since that would first need to be approved by Lou's boss.

Added later: biggest mess within the Leafs is the ownership, 2 media giants that do like each other.
Rogers 37.5%
Bell 37.5%
Kilmer Sports 25%
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

As of right now Patrick Kane has not been formally charged, he is just being investigated. Either way it's not looking good for young Chicago Blackhawk key player.
http://www.castanet.net/news/Sports/145 ... -hot-water

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”