NHL

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Re: NHL 2014--2015 Season

Post by Danielson99 »

Poindexter wrote:Wouldn't they be a surprise cup contender. lol!

They have better odds than the Canucks sadly. They have a good goalie and very good forward talent and depth. They are not a surprise at all to make the playoffs this year...which they are favored to do. Cup contenders? Well...there's really only 3 teams that are cup contenders so that makes almost every team in the NHL a surprise to make the cup finals.

On another note, it's nice watching the Canucks so far. As expected Ryan Miller is doing well and I'm very happy we finally have a great starting goaltender....we haven't had one, ever. The Sedins and Vrbata are starting out hot, great sign for the Canucks moving forward. Great defensive efforts so far also.

I can't help but look back at all the people who thought getting rid of Schneider and Luongo was a huge mistake. Instead it turned out to be the best thing that could have ever happened to the Canucks. Schneider has been nothing better than .500 playing with the Devils (which I expected) and Luongo...well, he's .500 also. They have both been exposed for what they are....very average goalies.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Poindexter wrote:Wouldn't they be a surprise cup contender. lol!

The fact is the West dominates the East and that's how it should be. Canucks have looked good but the test will be when they take a Californian road trip.

California road trip will happen November 6 San Jose, 8 Los Angeles & 9 Anaheim.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

So season is 20% done here are top 10 teams based on there winning percentage:

1) Tampa Bay 75%
2) Pittsburgh 75%
3) Nashville 73%
4) Montreal 72%
5) Anaheim 72%
6) Vancouver 71%
7) St Louis 70%
8) New York Is 67%
9) Los Angeles 63%
10) Boston 62.5%

Top team in each Division:
Atlantic is Tampa Bay
Metropolitan is Pittsburgh
Central is Nashville
Pacific is Vancouver
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Edmonton Oilers need to try to stop the bleeding, yes this is a band-aid idea. There is a goalie available that at least would be a big help for Ben Scrivens & Viktor Fasth as a mentor/teacher.

Martin Brodeur

Oh yes Edmonton has other issues.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Edmonton Oilers need to try to stop the bleeding, yes this is a band-aid idea. There is a goalie available that at least would be a big help for Ben Scrivens & Viktor Fasth as a mentor/teacher.

Martin Brodeur

Oh yes Edmonton has other issues.

Marty may end up in St Louis, Edmonton your on your way to bottom again, a race for top draft pick.

Fans in Edmonton may have put up with another loser year.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

How much longer are the Oilers going to let this continue? With all that talent you would think they would be at the top of the class........maybe all that talent has too many ego's. Heard a not too nice story about RNH last year, being a bit of a dick at the awards. Was sitting with his parents and people were coming by and asking for autographs, he was ignoring them until his Mom said something to him.........
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bubalouie wrote:How much longer are the Oilers going to let this continue? With all that talent you would think they would be at the top of the class........maybe all that talent has too many ego's. Heard a not too nice story about RNH last year, being a bit of a dick at the awards. Was sitting with his parents and people were coming by and asking for autographs, he was ignoring them until his Mom said something to him.........

The last time they made the post season was 2005-06 they actual went to the finals. I believe if Dwayne Roloson had not been injured in game 1 of the finals, Edmonton would have won the cup.

Since that run, they done poorly 1 finishes in the teens (which was 3 points out of a play-off spot), 5 finishes in the twenties & 2 finishes in 30th's (this year could be #3)

Added later: Changes are needed or they are making a run for Connor McDavid sweepstakes, if so the fans was be getting close to throwing jerseys on the ice there as well.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

If they are making a run for those sweepstakes, it'll just be another notch in the peg of a bunch of over rated players that CAN'T play together.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bubalouie wrote:If they are making a run for those sweepstakes, it'll just be another notch in the peg of a bunch of over rated players that CAN'T play together.

From what I see happening in Edmonton it's not a coaching problem, they have had 5 coaches since that run to finals in 2006.
That tells me it's a player problem, its time to make moves.

Added: 1 of those coaches is the current GM
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Like I said, too many ego's.........ie: the players. Time for a big shake up
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Exactly, there are teams looking for speedy forwards.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

GordonH wrote:^^^ Exactly, there are teams looking for speedy forwards.

When your roster is full of high draft picks with a lot of potential much of your cap space gets spent in retaining these guys until they hit their prime. High drafts are a great if they can contribute right away and compliment an experienced roster but after thier 3 year minor league contracts are done most will receive contracts based on future performance while providing little bang for the buck in the short term. Edmonton needs to trade some potential for immediate help so their young guys don't get beaten up or too used to loosing.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:^^^ Exactly, there are teams looking for speedy forwards.

Poindexter wrote:When your roster is full of high draft picks with a lot of potential much of your cap space gets spent in retaining these guys until they hit their prime. High drafts are a great if they can contribute right away and compliment an experienced roster but after thier 3 year minor league contracts are done most will receive contracts based on future performance while providing little bang for the buck in the short term. Edmonton needs to trade some potential for immediate help so their young guys don't get beaten up or too used to loosing.

Looking here a number of those #1 draft picks have sizeable contracts: http://www.capgeek.com/oilers
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Not very good "bang for the buck" in Edmonton...
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

hobby guy wrote:Not very good "bang for the buck" in Edmonton...

Especially when look at this teams bang for the its buck: http://www.capgeek.com/islanders

Currently #3 in the league

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”