NHL

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing.

Re: NHL

Postby Frisk » Apr 28th, 2018, 4:55 pm

Wow Carolina won a spot with the 11th best odds (3%). Lucky them.
You've got to have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come.
Bob Ross
Frisk
Guru

Liked in: 2223 posts

Postby GordonH » Apr 28th, 2018, 8:01 pm

Marc Bergevin was given a new lease on life in Montreal with #1 pick in NHL entry Draft.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8429 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby johnny24 » Apr 28th, 2018, 9:21 pm

GordonH wrote:Marc Bergevin was given a new lease on life in Montreal with #1 pick in NHL entry Draft.

Do you even try to make sure posts are accurate anymore?

the truth likes this post.
johnny24
Board Meister

Liked in: 255 posts

Postby GordonH » Apr 28th, 2018, 9:26 pm

Why did you take the bait. :laugh:
Of course Buffalo won the Dahlin raffle
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby lesliepaul » Apr 29th, 2018, 12:55 pm

Edmonton 10th with the NHL draft lottery..............GREAT NEWS!!!

Now we will have to listen to the incessant whining and crying and stomping of their feet how the draft is rigged.

The Oilers were too stupid to do anything with draft picks for 10 years. Started with their owner trying to hang on to Oiler history and we all know that Keven Lowe lacked the lowest form of intelligence and felt telling the press he won 5 cups over and over was all it took. I think he is still on the payroll and if not mistaking, he is the guy opening the gate for the Zamboni.
lesliepaul
Übergod

Liked in: 1133 posts

Postby Frisk » Apr 29th, 2018, 4:54 pm

lesliepaul wrote:Edmonton 10th with the NHL draft lottery..............GREAT NEWS!!!

Now we will have to listen to the incessant whining and crying and stomping of their feet how the draft is rigged.

The Oilers were too stupid to do anything with draft picks for 10 years. Started with their owner trying to hang on to Oiler history and we all know that Keven Lowe lacked the lowest form of intelligence and felt telling the press he won 5 cups over and over was all it took. I think he is still on the payroll and if not mistaking, he is the guy opening the gate for the Zamboni.

I'm an oilers fan but I agree it's probably a good thing they didn't win the lottery again. They won the draft 3 times in 8 years but only made the playoffs once during that same time. Clearly time for different management and a different plan.
You've got to have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come.
Bob Ross
Frisk
Guru

Liked in: 2223 posts

Postby GordonH » Apr 29th, 2018, 5:18 pm

lesliepaul wrote:Edmonton 10th with the NHL draft lottery..............GREAT NEWS!!!

Frisk wrote:I'm an oilers fan but I agree it's probably a good thing they didn't win the lottery again. They won the draft 3 times in 8 years but only made the playoffs once during that same time. Clearly time for different management and a different plan.

I was expecting better results with hiring of these 3:
Bob Nicholson 
Peter Chiarelli 
Todd McLellan
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby GordonH » May 7th, 2018, 10:08 am

The changes to the rules on the expansion draft has given that team a huge advantage over everyone else i.e current Vegas Knights.
Look back at expansion teams of the 90s & 2000s

Took Florida 3 years to get where Vegas is now
Took Minnesota Wild 3 years to get where Vegas is now
Took Anaheim 10 years to get where Vegas is now (they have won the Cup in there 24th season)
Took Ottawa 10 years to get where Vegas is now
Took Tampa Bay 12 years to get where Vegas is now (they have won the Cup in there 12th season)
Took San Jose 13 years to get where Vegas is now
Nashville made it Conference finals for first time last year, that took 19 years.
Columbus has not got out of first round, this is there 18th season.
Winnipeg/Atlanta could move on to Conference finals for there first time tonight after 19 years in the league.

Added: Seattle will get the very same advantage Vegas has received.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby lesliepaul » May 7th, 2018, 12:11 pm

[
Frisk wrote:I'm an oilers fan but I agree it's probably a good thing they didn't win the lottery again. They won the draft 3 times in 8 years but only made the playoffs once during that same time. Clearly time for different management and a different plan.

I was expecting better results with hiring of these 3:
Bob Nicholson
Peter Chiarelli
Todd McLellan
[/quote]

When these 3 were first hired you would think the Oilers are headed in the right direction. Bob Nicholson is a "business man", his claim is running Hockey Canada and I have always doubted his ability to run an NHL team. Of course having an owner that is more of a fan of the Oilers than someone who "knows" hockey again "chose poorly".
Peter Chiarelli.......LOOSER! After Boston won the Cup over the Canucks HE HIMSELF destroyed the Bruins. His getting rid of players and acquiring very little was the nail in his coffin and FIRED! His attitude is one of thinking "he is the smartest person in the room"........

Todd McLellan.......had a very good team in San Jose for years........lacks the ability to get to another level.

Bottom line in Edmonton..........get rid of Chiarelli. His first move was acquiring Milan "DS" Lucic for what......6 years at over 6 million a year. What did that tell you? He has ONE player right now and is too stupid to build around him. Hall and Eberle traded and Nugent-Hopkins kept? GREAT TRADE for Hall and Eberle's future though.

RupertBear likes this post.
lesliepaul
Übergod

Liked in: 1133 posts

Postby GordonH » May 7th, 2018, 12:51 pm

GordonH wrote:I was expecting better results with hiring of these 3:
Bob Nicholson
Peter Chiarelli
Todd McLellan

lesliepaul wrote:When these 3 were first hired you would think the Oilers are headed in the right direction. Bob Nicholson is a "business man", his claim is running Hockey Canada and I have always doubted his ability to run an NHL team. Of course having an owner that is more of a fan of the Oilers than someone who "knows" hockey again "chose poorly".
Peter Chiarelli.......LOOSER! After Boston won the Cup over the Canucks HE HIMSELF destroyed the Bruins. His getting rid of players and acquiring very little was the nail in his coffin and FIRED! His attitude is one of thinking "he is the smartest person in the room"........

Todd McLellan.......had a very good team in San Jose for years........lacks the ability to get to another level.

Bottom line in Edmonton..........get rid of Chiarelli. His first move was acquiring Milan "DS" Lucic for what......6 years at over 6 million a year. What did that tell you? He has ONE player right now and is too stupid to build around him. Hall and Eberle traded and Nugent-Hopkins kept? GREAT TRADE for Hall and Eberle's future though.

Bob Nicholson that what CEO is a businessman, Bob has hockey knowledge.
Peter Chiarelli, in his years as Boston GM the team made the playoff 7 out of 9 years with 2 appearance at Finals with 1 a Cup.
Todd McLellan, in 7 years as coach in San Jose made the playoffs 6 times... with 2 Conference finals (I suspect if Martin Jones was in San Jose while Todd was the coach they would have gone to SC).

How it up to Ownership of the Oilers & Bob if Peter Chiarelli should be let go or not, if not then its up to Peter to keep Todd or fire him.
It all depends on the Ownership timeline & where He wants the team to be at points of the timeline.

Added later: coaching & GM changes at this point of the season usual take place prior to entry draft. So the 2 new guys can look at what they want to see & if deals can be seen prior to the draft.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby GordonH » May 8th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Carolina Hurricanes have hired Rod Brind'Amour as their new head coach.
https://www.nhl.com/news/rod-brindamour ... -298520226
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby GordonH » May 16th, 2018, 10:03 pm

I would not be surprised if a majority of the other 30 owners are po knowing first year owner could be be going Cup finals.
There will be repeat proformance when Seattle enters the league.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby GordonH » Jun 5th, 2018, 2:31 pm

After the playoffs the next 2 events are June 22 & 23 that is the NHL entry Draft from Dallas, then July 1 is free agency.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby Bsuds » Jun 5th, 2018, 3:56 pm

I predict that Vegas will win the next 2 games so that it can go to game 7.

They make more money that way. :smt045
My Wife gives me very sound advice...99% sound and 1% advice!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12116 posts

Postby GordonH » Jun 18th, 2018, 5:33 pm

GordonH
Buddha of the Board

PreviousNext

Return to Sports / Great Outdoors