Eyelid Eczema

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Bananny
Grand Pooh-bah

Eyelid Eczema

Post by Bananny »

I am convinced that I have eyelid eczema. My optometrist has ruled out Blepharitis and is convinced that my 'issue' is allergy related. I am using a prescription antihistamine eye drop, gel eye drops, .5% hydrocortisone to get rid of the dry, flaky skin. And, I just read a website indicating vitamin E and cocoa butter as great moisturizers for the eyelids. A girlfriend recommended a Soothing Calendula Salve that I have to order from the U.S. and have it shipped to a girlfriend in the U.S. who will then forward it to me. I purchased an Aveeno product today that is designed specifically for Eczema. My doctor has sent a letter referring me for allergy testing but that could take months. I also want to be referred to a Dermatologist. I have read so many articles and there is so much information. I do believe that in most cases triggers, etc are unique to each individual i.e. stress, specific allergies, immune system. If anyone has any ideas or useful tips based on what they've gone through with eyelid issues would be greatly appreciated. I've been dealing with this for approximately 6 weeks and I'm so paranoid that it will get to an unmanageable point. :ohmygod:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Eyelid Eczema

Post by Bsuds »

Bananny wrote: I do believe that in most cases triggers, etc are unique to each individual i.e. stress, specific allergies, immune system.

This should be in the health thread, you could be stressing yourself into this too! Just a thought.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

What exactly is happening with your eyelids?
What are the symptoms?
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Have you tried hydrocortisone cream? I get a sort of eczema on my face, above my eyebrows, in my eyebrows and on my cheekbones. I only get it in the winter, likely because it's drier than a popcorn fart in the winter here. One day years ago I tried some leftover hydrocortisone cream from something else. Sonofagun, it worked.

I only use a tiny, tiny amount of it and only when needed. I was happy to discover that you can buy the stuff over the counter at a pharmacy, although it is in a lower concentration than what a doctor would prescribe.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

Eczema break-outs will happen anywhere on body mostly due to stress.

Be careful what you put on eyelid due to it could be absorb into your eyes.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

From: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001856/

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Atopic dermatitis is due to a hypersensitivity reaction (similar to an allergy) in the skin, which leads to long-term swelling and redness (inflammation) of the skin. People with atopic dermititis may lack certain proteins in the skin, which leads to greater sensitivity.

Atopic dermatitis is most common in infants. It may start as early as age 2 to 6 months. Many people outgrow it by early adulthood.

People with atopic dermatitis often have asthma or seasonal allergies. There is often a family history of allergic conditions such as asthma, hay fever, or eczema. People with atopic dermatitis often test positive to allergy skin tests.

However, atopic dermatitis is not caused by allergies. The condition tends to get worse when the person is exposed to certain triggers.

The following can make atopic dermatitis symptoms worse:

Allergies to pollen, mold, dust mites, or animals
Cold and dry air in the winter
Colds or the flu
Contact with irritants and chemicals
Contact with rough materials, such as wool
Dry skin
Emotions and stress
Exposure to too much water, such as taking too many baths or showers and swimming too often
Feeling too hot or too cold, as well as sudden temperature changes
Fragrances or dyes added to skin lotions or soaps

Treatment

SKIN CARE AT HOME

Taking care of your skin at home may reduce the need for medications.

Avoid scratching the rash or skin:

Relieve the itch by using a moisturizer, topical steroid cream, or other prescribed cream and taking antihistamines to reduce severe itching.

There's a long list of triggers up there. Go through them one by one and make sure you haven't started using something different that could be the cause.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Bananny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Bananny »

Nebula wrote:Have you tried hydrocortisone cream? I get a sort of eczema on my face, above my eyebrows, in my eyebrows and on my cheekbones. I only get it in the winter, likely because it's drier than a popcorn fart in the winter here. One day years ago I tried some leftover hydrocortisone cream from something else. Sonofagun, it worked.

I only use a tiny, tiny amount of it and only when needed. I was happy to discover that you can buy the stuff over the counter at a pharmacy, although it is in a lower concentration than what a doctor would prescribe.

I bought an over the counter hydrocortisone and I rarely use it but it does seem to bring some relief, especially to get rid of any flaky, irritated skin. I know it's not good to use on the eyes so that's why I rarely use it.

Earlier I used the prescription strength antihistamine drops and then squirted in some gel eye drops. Nothing seems to be helping right now.
You say it best when you say nothing at all
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Just throwing this out there... have you changed any makeup lately? Like, changed what you're using?
Bananny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Bananny »

Nebula wrote:Just throwing this out there... have you changed any makeup lately? Like, changed what you're using?

For the life of me I can't think of anything new. I've been using the same mascara in forever but my optometrist was saying that sometimes manufacturers change the ingredients in their products, or all of a sudden you can develop allergies to something you've always used or been around. I bought a new mascara the other day that I haven't tried yet. Tomorrow I think I'll give it a try and keep the other one in the drawer. But, I did go one weekend without any mascara and my eyes were still 'stressed', although slightly.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

I would suggest that you stop using anything topical. It may be exacerbating the problem.
Hydrocortisone is not to be used on mucus membrane so I would not use it anywhere near your eyes.

My advice would be to start taking an Omega 3 supplement. I take salmon oil, but any Omega 3 would be fine.

If you have small bumps on your eyelids, you could be potassium deficient.
Bananny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Bananny »

gardengirl wrote:I would suggest that you stop using anything topical. It may be exacerbating the problem.
Hydrocortisone is not to be used on mucus membrane so I would not use it anywhere near your eyes.

My advice would be to start taking an Omega 3 supplement. I take salmon oil, but any Omega 3 would be fine.

If you have small bumps on your eyelids, you could be potassium deficient.

Thanks Garden Girl. I already have a tbsp of fresh ground flax seed per day, and normally a tuna sandwich twice a week. I've been meaning to buy flax seed oil to add to my daily smoothie, on top of the flax seed. My morning smoothie has a banana and I eat an additional banana a couple hours after my smoothie. So I think my nutrition is pretty much on par, but adding more omega 3 would be good. Oh, my afternoon snack is usually a hard boiled egg.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Omega 3s are great in the winter. It gets so dry here, chances are they would really help. A bonus is that it also helps if you suffer from seasonal affective disorder.
Bananny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Bananny »

gardengirl wrote:Omega 3s are great in the winter. It gets so dry here, chances are they would really help. A bonus is that it also helps if you suffer from seasonal affective disorder.

Mental note to self: sprinkle a tbsp of ground flax seed on wrap for lunch tomorrow. :)
redwine

Post by redwine »

Check your face creams and eyes creams to see if any contain sunscreens, some of those can really irritate your eyes.
perhaps the straight and narrow would be wider if more people used it
Bananny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Bananny »

redwine wrote:Check your face creams and eyes creams to see if any contain sunscreens, some of those can really irritate your eyes.

I've stopped using creams on my eyes altogether because they just irritate the heck out of my lids. One is Provitamina A and I've been using it for months. I suppose maybe I've developed an allergy somewhere along the way. Right now I'm using over the counter hydrocortisone - I feel I have NO choice.

Return to “Health”