Bird ID

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Bird ID

Post by Graphite »

Thanks GF and Dick, I noticed the song sparrow by its song, twice now they have landed near me at the bird sanctuary and let out the amazing song. The second time was the only chance I had to get the photo. They really are cute little birds, thanks for the ID! And the Bullock's Oriole, how long to they usually stick around for? I am in love with this bird. Any suggestions on locations to find them?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I've photographed them at Chichester Wetlands in past years. About two weeks ago I think I caught a glimpse of one there from a distance but couldn't get close enough to get a shot I could ID it by.

Chichester is a great place to go birding.

What bird sanctuary are you talking about?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

The one right downtown on the lake, I think its the Rotary Marsh Park. Go across the street from there to the Brandt's Creek section beside Waterscapes. This map lists it as Sunset Drive Park http://wikimapia.org/#lat=49.895422&lon ... 16&l=0&m=b
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Ok - yup - that's Rotary Marsh. The osprey should be back by now. Have you seen them yet? There's also a resident blue heron there, too. On the Brandt's Creek side I saw a young raccoon one day and also a Northern Shrike. Those were cool.

There's another bird sanctuary on the lake down by the hospital called Maude Roxby Park. Have you been there?

And if you REALLY wanna see birds - go to the dump! Best birding ever!!! Lots of shore birds and the Avocet is there, too. Lots of Bald Eagles. Lots of different kinds of ducks. To go birding there you have to stop at the office and sign a liability waiver.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I have a new bird to ID ... anyone know what this is? I think its in the Flycatcher family but don't know for sure. It was quite yellow on its belly and above its tail base.

what-bird-DSC_3452.jpg

Edited to add ... Hmmm ... am now thinking this is a Western Kingbird. First one I have seen. I have lots of pics of the Eastern Kingbird ...

Eastern-Kingbird.jpg

dickcannings

Post by dickcannings »

Yes, grammafreddy, this is a Western Kingbird.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Thanks, Dick! I love it when I can guess right.

I am over in Grand Forks now - is there a birding group here?

I found a flock of Evening Grosbeaks two days ago and a really great swamp area with lots of different birds - unfortunately there's no place to park except on the side of a very narrow road.

Hummingbirds are plentiful here this year - I keep hearing how there are so many more than usual. My hummer feeders are still in a box somewhere so haven't gotten them up. A friend here says he refills his two 1-litre feeders every day and has about 50 hummers coming to them. I saw Rufous and Calliopes while I was there. He also has what he calls Bullock's Orioles at his place. I saw them from a distance but couldn't get a good ID on them for sure. I went there today because he said he had a very different ringed mourning dove there (very pink he said) but they weren't there while I was.

SassySasquatch
Board Meister

Cock of the North

Post by SassySasquatch »

I have been having problems with this seemingly family group of Cocks of the North. They resemble Woody Woodpecker as they have a great, deep red bill on top of their heads. He(they) have been chewing into our deck and the surrounding sugar maple trees in our yard. They usually have only stayed around for a few days in years past but this spring - even today, still being bugs (going on four weeks). It really is unusual.

The largest would measure approx. 2 ' in height, the smallest perhaps 8".
"...always keep your mind and heart open." - Henry Fonda
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Does it look like this?

If it does, it is a Pileated Woodpecker. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pileated_Woodpecker

normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

never saw that pretty yellow bird again. This year there are ring neck ducks at the Pond. Heron has a mate. Not many jays around, wonder why
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
SassySasquatch
Board Meister

Post by SassySasquatch »

grammafreddy wrote:Does it look like this? If it does, it is a Pileated Woodpecker. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pileated_Woodpecker

Rather similar but I am not certain of the colour of its chest. Will try for a picture. Now looking for a bb gun... :jennysmad:
"...always keep your mind and heart open." - Henry Fonda
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I got me a new bird today ... a Lewis' Woodpecker ...

2012-06-18-Lewis-Woodpecker.jpg

He was kinda far away :D

Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Nice shot!

Do you have a lot of bird feeders out?

If so are they plastic or wood? And how often do you wash them?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

This wasn't at my house. I was shooting houses for sale and this bird got in the way :D

I have no feeders up right now but I usually do feed the wild birds. I have both plastic and wood and I wash them at the end of the season (fall) and more often if they need them. No soap. I wash the hummer feeders (glass and plastic) every time I refill them.

Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

My neighbor has peacocks.
Such a nice sound from them in the evening.
The sound carries forever.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”