Bird ID

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Bird ID

Post by Bsuds »

My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote:Managed to get a picture of this guy before he took off. He landed on our birdbath looking for a meal. Then he flew into the hedge again looking for lunch cause that's where all the birds hide.
Anyone know for sure what type of Hawk it is? I'm thinking a Swainsons.

Could be a young redtail very common in the area.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
dickcannings

Post by dickcannings »

Nice "quiz" shot. This looks like a Sharp-shinned Hawk to me. Long tail, short wings, delicate feet.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It was back today for lunch. We decided it's a young female sharp shinned hawk.
Attachments
IMG_0838_1024x682.JPG
IMG_0836_1024x682.JPG
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Great pics Bsuds,we had one here thee other day.Nosing around the cedars for the house sparrows.
What was on the menu,Quail?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

That's exactly what this one has been doing. She got one this time.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

She is gorgeous!!
Chill
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Damn!! 4 of my hens have gone walkabout. We traipsed all over the territory and no sign of them - no feathers, no blood, no squawking... We'll see what happens come roosting time...

Later....

Remembered jays making a racket where I had seen my 4 hens last so they went up and found the remains of RIR1 with a bird feeding on it. Of course the critter took off when approached and was described as 'slate grey on the back with a darker head and a light underside.'

Anyone want to take a stab at identifying the critter? The wing span was considerable; however it was probably not big enough to carry off a full grown hen.

PS: Buffy, Hammie and RIR3 came out of hiding after the bird left its prey. Probably not a lot of eggs tomorrow.
Chill
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

Bumping this thread up to top again hopefully. Missing Grammafreddy and her knowledge.

I wonder if anyone else is noticing a change in seeds. I purchased my regular 18kg bag from Walmart yesterday and filled three feeders. I have watched all day as junco, mountain chickadee and red headed finches test one seed and leave. The hedge under them is full of birds bouncing around, but after one seed from a feeder they don't come back.

I have a filled plate feeder hanging as well and the Blue Jays were at it three times, but certainly not eating it like they would normally. I put mix in a plate under the maple tree and other feeders and the Blue Jay was there for less than two minutes eating before taking off.

Anyone else notice a problem with seeds perhaps or ??????????????????????
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

watchkat wrote:Bumping this thread up to top again hopefully. Missing Grammafreddy and her knowledge.

I wonder if anyone else is noticing a change in seeds. I purchased my regular 18kg bag from Walmart yesterday and filled three feeders. I have watched all day as junco, mountain chickadee and red headed finches test one seed and leave. The hedge under them is full of birds bouncing around, but after one seed from a feeder they don't come back.

I have a filled plate feeder hanging as well and the Blue Jays were at it three times, but certainly not eating it like they would normally. I put mix in a plate under the maple tree and other feeders and the Blue Jay was there for less than two minutes eating before taking off.

Anyone else notice a problem with seeds perhaps or ??????????????????????

Blue Jays or Stellar Jays?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

Interior Stellar Jays, but the smaller birds don't seem to be using the feeders either.

Just a note. I have asked the mods to please try to move this forum out of Games, etc and into Outdoors or Wildlife topics. There is good info here, but not easily found in the wrong topic.

I also notice sport and outdoors forum topic is literally full of sports..........perhaps a new General topic for plants and birds?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Is there an expiry date on the seeds? I've seen the Stellars and other various birds in the neighbour's yard but the Stellars don't seem to be sticking around.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

I've checked the bag earlier, but no dates, lot numbers etc. It is the large GREAT VALUE 18kg bag with no corn. They are a new pile in the Westbank Walmart store.
I've used now for two earlier years and never had them seem to turn their nose up. Same feeders....which I sometimes have to fill twice a day. (They were brush cleaned and well rinsed.....no odours to deter them)
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

Thank you mods for relocating this thread.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”