Canadian Football League

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Canadian Football League

Post by GordonH »

just popping in wrote:Lions have a lot of work ahead of them IMO

With a dislocated shoulder Lulay, it could easily be dislocated again (if hit).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

And "retiring" McCallum was a mistake.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

just popping in wrote:And "retiring" McCallum was a mistake.

As much as he added to team in past, his percentages was down. With field goal being move back it would have dropped his percentages even more. Plus he was no longer able to do punts. So Wally has gone after much younger punter/kicker.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

With only 4,900 fans watching the CFL game between the home team Toronto Argonaunts and the Edmonton Eskomos at the SMS Equipment Stadium in Fort McMurray, one has to wonder if the Apple Bowl here in Kelowna would have been a far better venue to hold the game? With adding seats bringing the seating capacity to over 11,000 this had to be a major disappointment to the team and to the league.
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

Temperature in Fort Mac was 30+ yesterday and there is no shade anywhere on that field. All those metal seats would be furiously hot. I'd have stayed home too. The preseason game in ft Mac had very good attendance.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

I love football. Played it in high school and in competitive leagues in my twenties and thirties. I have always enjoyed watching CFL, NFL and even NCAA. I enjoy the different nuances in the rules between each league that make the games slightly different. For example, I enjoy watching three down football played on a larger field that favours fast offense (hence the usual higher score games and dramatic comebacks in the CFL), but also appreciate the pure power and precision required to move the ball and score on the smaller NFL field.

Our no-yards rule for receiving kicks makes our game different, and the not often used rouge gives us another quirk.

But who the hell thought we should start kicking converts from the 30 yard line????
Now we’re just looking stupid (IMHO)
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

It's there to add an additional element of interest.

Prior to this year, all converts were from the 5 yard line which made it an automatic to kick the convert. Success ratio was between 98 and 99%. 'Going for 2' was only a desperation move. I believe the quote was something like, "the one-point convert is the most boring play in football".

By giving the scoring team the opportunity to scrimmage from the 3 OR the 25, it adds an element of strategy. The completion ratio for kicked converts this year is significantly lower and what that means is that there is a real decision to be made by coaches about how they want to proceed in light of the fact that the 7th point is not virtually guaranteed. I'm personally surprised that more coaches aren't just going for 2 all the time. The new no-contact rules means that their receivers can run in the endzone basically untouched.

I'm looking forward to the day when somebody tries to fake a convert from the 25 and turns it into 2 points instead of 1 (which is legal). There are about 5 ways I can think of to do it and I'm just not that creative so there are probably lots more.
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

For those who are interested, part of the CFL officials test from this year has been posted on the TSN website.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/take-the-cfl-o ... t-1.321928
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Part way thru week 9 standing:
West Division
Calgary 5-2
Edmonton 5-2 Looks like they will go 5-3
Winnipeg 3-5
BC 3-5
Saskatchewan 0-7 Green machine needs big help and soon

East Division
Hamilton 5-2 Looks like they will go 6-2
Toronto 5-2
Ottawa 4-3
Montreal 3-5
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Thank God my wife, a diehard Saskatchewan Roughrider fan, can stop grieving for a little while anyway. I have to admit it would have been painful to watch them lose another one and drop to 10 and zero. Good on the boys and good performance by Smith. Looking forward to the real Labour Day Classic tomorrow with my Stampeders facing the hated Edmonton Eskimos.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

steven lloyd wrote:Thank God my wife, a diehard Saskatchewan Roughrider fan, can stop grieving for a little while anyway. I have to admit it would have been painful to watch them lose another one and drop to 10 and zero. Good on the boys and good performance by Smith. Looking forward to the real Labour Day Classic tomorrow with my Stampeders facing the hated Edmonton Eskimos.

Green machine was looking very green around the gills. Big question can they keep this going and if so, was it just not wanting to play for Corey Chamblin. Guess we will have wait and see

2 games tomorrow & 1 for a #1 position and the other would be a tie for #1 or a commanding lead.

Calgary second highest yards for meanwhile Edmonton has lowest yards against.

Added later: Who do you think Riders will make as there New Head coach, currently they have interim in Bob Dyce
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

GordonH wrote: Added later: Who do you think Riders will make as there New Head coach, currently they have interim in Bob Dyce

No idea, but at this point they are just playing for Rider pride and individual performance. With nothing other than that on the line I’d just be telling my guys to just go out and have fun and show me what you got. That being said …

GO CALGARY !!!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:
Added later: Who do you think Riders will make as there New Head coach, currently they have interim in Bob Dyce

steven lloyd wrote:No idea, but at this point they are just playing for Rider pride and individual performance. With nothing other than that on the line I’d just be telling my guys to just go out and have fun and show me what you got. That being said …

GO CALGARY !!!

Riders could still catch BC for third spot in West with a good winning streak. As for Calgary there chances are better then average.

Based on what I've seen so far this season, the team to beat is Hamilton they want the Grey Cup.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

If things continue as they have been so far, it could cause a very rare moment in CFL. An eastern team crossing over to west.

Montreal win over Winnipeg would be catalyst for this to start.

Added: That is a very big "if"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Its been rough season on QB's in the league, 2 more have been injured.
BC backup & Hamilton's #1

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”