Canadian Football League

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: 2014 Canadian Football League

Post by GordonH »

Week 3 of the season has come and gone.

Good to see Winnipeg getting off to an excellent start. For most part the western teams are doing better then eastern conference.

I still believe to balance out the league with 5 teams in each conference Halifax should get a franchise, because its the largest city in Maritimes.

This Thursday the 2 undefeated teams for 2014 season will face each other in Winnipeg, should be a good game.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Hell of payout on 50/50 draw at the Calgary @ Edmonton CFL game was $348,534, the fan holding the winning ticket went home happy I'm sure.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Sports/119 ... -50-winner

To have a payout of that size they had to have received $769,068 ➗ by 40,066 attending = just over $19 from every person
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
tgm929
Board Meister

Post by tgm929 »

GordonH wrote:Hell of payout on 50/50 draw at the Calgary @ Edmonton CFL game was $348,534, the fan holding the winning ticket went home happy I'm sure.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Sports/119 ... -50-winner

To have a payout of that size they had to have received $769,068 ➗ by 40,066 attending = just over $19 from every person

About $80,000 of it was carried forward from the previous game as the prize wasn't claimed.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Quarter of the season is done, clearly the West is the stronger Conference. Of course 3 quarters remain and anything can happen.
jaz301
Walks on Forum Water

Post by jaz301 »

Almost think it should be top 4 or 6 teams make playoffs out of the league. The way things are going bottom team in West will have more point then top team in east. Now of course I dont expect that at end of season, but still the West has been more dominate for a few years now.
Life is too sho......
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

jaz301 wrote:Almost think it should be top 4 or 6 teams make playoffs out of the league. The way things are going bottom team in West will have more point then top team in east. Now of course I dont expect that at end of season, but still the West has been more dominate for a few years now.

If that is the case 4th place team in west has a better record than 1,2 or 3 in east they crossover. Play in eastern playoff's so the 2 teams that meet in Vancouver for Grey Cup could both be from the west. That been in place for numbers of years now.
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

For those of you who may have missed the Sask @ Ottawa game last night - you missed a play by Ottawa that takes advantage of TWO of the many unique and exciting features of the Canadian game:

1) The kicked ball that is live in the endzone
2) The ability for the kicking team to recover the ball subject to a few rules.

You can watch the play here: http://cfl.ca/video/index/id/100027/autostart/true

In my opinion, the level of play has gone down this year in the CFL so it's nice to see some of the more unique elements being introduced. When will somebody do a drop kick for a field goal?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Week 7 will start tomorrow.

Standing via the League:
Winnipeg 10
Calgary 8
Edmonton 8
Saskatchewan 6
BC 6
Toronto 4
Hamilton 2
Ottawa 2
Montreal 2

The east is looking bad so far.

This weeks games:
Aug 07 Saskatchewan @ Winnipeg 5:30 pm TSN
Aug 08 Edmonton @ Montreal 4:00 pm TSN
Aug 08 Hamilton @ BC 7:00 pm TSN
Aug 09 Ottawa @ Calgary 4:30 pm TSN
tgm929
Board Meister

Post by tgm929 »

GordonH wrote:Week 7 will start tomorrow.

Standing via the League:
Winnipeg 10
Calgary 8
Edmonton 8
Saskatchewan 6
BC 6
Toronto 4
Hamilton 2
Ottawa 2
Montreal 2

The east is looking bad so far.

This weeks games:
Aug 07 Saskatchewan @ Winnipeg 5:30 pm TSN
Aug 08 Edmonton @ Montreal 4:00 pm TSN
Aug 08 Hamilton @ BC 7:00 pm TSN
Aug 09 Ottawa @ Calgary 4:30 pm TSN

It's crazy how bad the east is this year. I know TO has lots of WR injuries but still. With Edm, Cal and BC favored this week the East will probably look even worse after.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Yes, if things don't change in Eastern Conference I fully expect 4 place team in West to crossover at playoff time.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Weird how things changed from when CFL games were on tv,
to now where unless you pay for cable tv, you can't watch any CFL games.

Everything is for the money now.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

CBC payed for exclusive league coverage from the 50's to 2007 so I'm pretty sure it was about the money then, too.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

HP wrote:CBC payed for exclusive league coverage from the 50's to 2007 so I'm pretty sure it was about the money then, too.

Like all professional league telecast are bid on i.e last year Sportsnet won the bid for exclusive rights to NHL games. Now they can and have farmed some of those games to TSN & HNIC.

Currently TSN has full rights to CFL games, not sure how long that contract is for.

Added later: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/f ... e10053800/
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

So, what does BC do if Travis Lulay is ready to play this week against SSK? What happens if Lulay plays and plays well?

I don't think BC wants to keep two starting quarterbacks on their roster - how do you keep them happy? Beck is a pretty viable backup but I don't know what happens to him if Lulay decides to try winning the whole season in one play again.

My gut tells me that Kevin Glen knew the deal coming in so he's doing his best to try to earn himself a starting gig. The problem is that he's been making a lot of poor decisions. That was part of the deal in Ottawa - Glen didn't want to play second fiddle to Burris even though it looks, to me, like Glen would have taken a LOT of snaps this year.

Montreal needs a QB who understands the league and who can do some mentoring with their existing QB's - they proved that by bringing up Jeff Garcia and The Don. I wonder if that's where he ends up? If I'm Wally, I'm looking to trade Glen to Montreal for an O Lineman and a draft pick.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

HP wrote:So, what does BC do if Travis Lulay is ready to play this week against SSK? What happens if Lulay plays and plays well?

I don't think BC wants to keep two starting quarterbacks on their roster - how do you keep them happy? Beck is a pretty viable backup but I don't know what happens to him if Lulay decides to try winning the whole season in one play again.

My gut tells me that Kevin Glen knew the deal coming in so he's doing his best to try to earn himself a starting gig. The problem is that he's been making a lot of poor decisions. That was part of the deal in Ottawa - Glen didn't want to play second fiddle to Burris even though it looks, to me, like Glen would have taken a LOT of snaps this year.

Montreal needs a QB who understands the league and who can do some mentoring with their existing QB's - they proved that by bringing up Jeff Garcia and The Don. I wonder if that's where he ends up? If I'm Wally, I'm looking to trade Glen to Montreal for an O Lineman and a draft pick.

If Lulay is 100%, then Wally has bargaining chip with Glen.

Those players who went south to tryout in NFL some of them may make it & some may not, their Canadian clubs may not have room for them to comeback. 2 names come to mind Weston Dressler & Kory Sheets.
So if Wally deals Glen to Montreal for draft pick then has room for lets say Dressler be addition to the team.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”