Canadian Football League

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: 2013 Canadian Football League

Post by GordonH »

Thinktank wrote:is there any free streaming of CFL?

Only thing I found was this http://www.footballwebcasts.net/cfl.php

No idea if or how it works, since I watch the games on TSN
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Those who are unaware the Ottawa CFL team will be knowing as the RedBlacks

http://www.ottawaredblacks.com/

Added: BC Lions played really bad yesterday
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

So no surprise on the firing of head-coach in Montreal http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=428903

As well not a surprise Buck Pierce being dropped to #3 and Goltz being #1 in Winnipeg http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=428912
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Gordon, never did get around to asking you (and all you BC Lions and CFL fans) what you thought of the new gun-metal gray/black & orange trim look of the new Lion home uniforms?

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bc+ ... tedIndex=9

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... hange.html
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

steven lloyd wrote:Gordon, never did get around to asking you (and all you BC Lions and CFL fans) what you thought of the new gun-metal gray/black & orange trim look of the new Lion home uniforms?

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bc+ ... tedIndex=9

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... hange.html

I thought they are great addition to the Lions, gives that intimadation factor.

I know they blew it in last nights game.
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

When I first saw the new BC Lions uniforms, I didn't really like them. However, by the end of last week's game, they grew on me and now I think they are great.

They really blew it last night and almost did last week versus Calgary. They are going to have to find a way to fix this soon.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

I agree with TSN panel remove east/west, have 1 league of 9 teams fighting for play-off by.
concernie
Board Meister

Post by concernie »

pro sports = distraction.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

concernie wrote:pro sports = distraction.

I would suggest concernie don't watch it then, distraction solved.
TMixer
Board Meister

Post by TMixer »

concernie wrote:pro sports = distraction.

True, but so are comments like that, so...
Socially anxious, anxiously social
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Stampeders 1st team to secure playoff berth

Calgary tops in both league, West at 9-2 this season

Head coach John Hufnagel hasn't always been satisfied with the performance of his Calgary Stampeders in games this season, but he can't argue with the results.

Calgary tops both the league and the West Division at 9-2 and is the first team this season to secure a playoff berth.
"We've won in different fashions, but we won as a team and that's the good part," Hufnagel said Monday.

"We don't always hit on all cylinders offensively, defensively sometimes we're on the field too much, special teams we're not as productive as we'd like to be, but as a team, one phase has been outstanding to allow us to peck out wins. That's essentially the sign of a good team."

The Stampeders have worked for their wins with a constantly rotating cast of characters. All CFL teams deal with injuries in a season, but the theme of Calgary's season so far is resiliency.

The employment of three different starting quarterbacks has been well documented, but the Stampeders have also been forced to cover gaps on the offensive line, at receiver and in the defensive backfield when starters went down.

It begs the question how much better Calgary would be if they weren't routinely plugging holes in their lineup.

"It's hard to improve under those conditions," Hufnagel said. "When you have new people in your lineup, then there's an adjustment period.

'We don't always hit on all cylinders offensively, defensively sometimes we're on the field too much, special teams we're not as productive as we'd like to be, but as a team, one phase has been outstanding to allow us to peck out wins. That's essentially the sign of a good team.'- Stampeders coach John Hufnagel

"Our offensive line has been a scramble all year long. I'm hoping that before the season is over we can get our five in there and get a couple games underneath our belt to head into the playoffs.

"Same with our quarterback position. With three different quarterbacks playing, it's the same playbook, but like I've always said, each quarterback brings their own personality."

Calgary's 26-22 win over Hamilton combined with the Saskatchewan's 31-29 loss to the Toronto Argonauts on the weekend allowed the Stampeders to gain sole possession of first place in the West.

A 25-7 Edmonton Eskimos victory over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers eliminated the possibility Winnipeg (2-9) could finish ahead of Calgary in a crossover playoff scenario. The Esks, last in the West at 2-9, also can't catch Calgary because the Stampeders won the season series between the teams.

Grey Cup rematch

The Stampeders host defending league champion Toronto, the East Division leaders at 7-2, on Saturday in a rematch of last year's Grey Cup. The Stampeders are unbeaten at home at 5-0.

Calgary's win over the Tiger-Cats on Friday was by no means a classic. Quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell struggled early, but marched the Stampeders downfield with two minutes remaining to score the eventual winning touchdown.

The defence that had given up 408 passing yards to Hamilton's Henry Burris sprang to life on the last drive of the game. Sacks by Charleston Hughes and Cordarro Law helped prevent the Ticats from countering with a winning score.

Mitchell, 23, was Calgary's third string quarterback in training camp. He's won his three starts with veterans Drew Tate and Kevin Glenn on the sidelines with injuries. He's also come onto the field to preserve wins when Glenn has gone out of the game.

While Mitchell entertained reporters in the Stampeders dressing room post-game, Glenn walked by chanting "All we do is win. No matter who is playing. We just win."

Hufnagel said he allowed himself scotch and a cigar post-game, but that was in celebration of his 62nd birthday.

One of the team's big recent improvements is in sacks, with 23 in the last four games. Hughes and Winnipeg's Alex Hall were tied for first in the league with a dozen sacks apiece ahead of Law with nine.

Receiver Maurice Price has also been an impact player since his return from a hamstring injury with four touchdown catches in the three games.

Running back Jon Cornish, who has achieved 1,000 rushing yards for a second straight season, and the consistency of field-goal kicker Rene Paredes, are the constants for Calgary this season.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/s ... 19?cmp=rss
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Here is best attendance at a game this season so far:

Best 44,910 on Sept 01 Winnipeg at Saskatchewan

Of course the lowest will be at Hamilton games since they are being played at Alumni Stadium (University of Guelph) next year back in Hamilton at Tim Horton's field.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

The last game of regular season will not change standing for play-off match-ups

Western Semi-Finals
BC Lion @ Saskatchewan Roughriders on TSN 1:30pm Nov 10
Winner to meet Calgary Stampeders @ McMahon Stadium for Western Finals on TSN 10am Nov 17

Eastern Semi-Finals
Montreal Alouettes @ Hamilton Tiger-Cats on TSN 10am Nov 10
Winner to meet Toronto Argonauts @ Rogers Centre for Eastern Finals on TSN 1:30pm Nov 17

Grey Cup on TSN at 3:30 Nov 24 @ Mosaic Stadium Regina, Saskatchewan
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Gordon - what the odds that Buck Pierce leads us to Grey Cup glory this year? :)
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Gordon - what the odds that Buck Pierce leads us to Grey Cup glory this year? :)

That would be excellent outcome, I will wait and see how he does against Calgary tonight.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”