NHL lockout?

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
jaz301
Walks on Forum Water

Re: NHL lockout?

Post by jaz301 »

kumazatheef wrote:
jaz301 wrote:The problem is that most teams cant really afford to pay what the players want, but they have no choice.

They always have a choice.

OK yes they do have a choice, but if they want to keep the player they are going to have to pay more then what they prob want to keep them on there team.

This is probably not the only problem, but something obviously needs to change if 18+ teams are not making money. Another topic is the revenue sharing. Here is a basic thing about current revenue sharing:

The National Hockey League implemented a new revenue sharing system in the aftermath of the lockout that forced the cancellation of the 2004-05 season. About.com's hockey guide, Jamie Fitzpatrick, takes us through the basics:

The top ten money-making teams contribute to the pool. The bottom 15 money-making teams are eligible to collect from it.
The amount of money contributed by the top ten teams is set by a formula that includes a percentage of overall league revenues and some playoff revenues. The exact number isn't worked out until the season is over and all revenues have been counted.
For a bottom-15 team to collect a full revenue sharing cheque, it must reach at least 80% capacity in home attendance (last year that meant averaging about 14,000 per game) and show revenue growth that exceeds the league average. Missing either threshold means a cut in the share.
In 2010, a full share of revenue sharing was about $10 million.
Teams in markets with more than 2.5 million television households cannot qualify for revenue sharing. By my unofficial estimate, that means the Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Flyers, Blackhawks, Ducks, Sharks, Stars, and Kings are ineligible.

The problem is they go by revenue and not by operating income. Right now out of the top 10 money making teams, 5 of them are barley making money (with one of the even losing money). If they start increasing revenue sharing we could possibly see more teams not making money. Personally I think the NHL pretty much screwed themselves and they only way I can see struggling teams start making money is either start cutting back player salaries (but honor current contracts that in place now) or start moving franchises to cities were they would actually make money (hopefully).
Life is too sho......
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Here is what each team earned as well other info:
http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/#p_1_s_d5_
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
waynetyea
Fledgling

Post by waynetyea »

fire bettman. no one needs him and everybody hates him... and he is useless. then tell everybody to give 10 % then start the season late. players and teams
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

If Bettman was gone, the owners would have all that hate directed at them. He's paid to be a scapegoat, among other things.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
jaz301
Walks on Forum Water

Post by jaz301 »

JayByrd wrote:If Bettman was gone, the owners would have all that hate directed at them. He's paid to be a scapegoat, among other things.

Yep. You could bring the saying "don't shoot the messenger" into this with Bettman being the messenger.
Life is too sho......
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

players must be pretty stupid to bargain for a percentage and then refuse to play . they r shrinking the pie every day they sit out .

the nhlpa will break by seasons end . wages for pucks r gonna be going down .

has to be the stupidest bargaining strategy in history . im sure harvard business school will use the nhlpa as an example for years to come .
waynetyea
Fledgling

Post by waynetyea »

hopfully gary bettmen will be laid off soon as no body will ever need him again. same with all those commentary guys on the sports networks .. get them doing something else or lay em all off. who is watchenem anyways. put something there that we would rather see.. movies for instance or even better more ufc
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

im starting to wonder if the whole league is not gonna get swept away by this lockout . maybe all our hockey heros are gonna be playing in sweeden and russia
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

theyeti wrote:players must be pretty stupid to bargain for a percentage and then refuse to play . they r shrinking the pie every day they sit out .

the nhlpa will break by seasons end . wages for pucks r gonna be going down .

has to be the stupidest bargaining strategy in history . im sure harvard business school will use the nhlpa as an example for years to come .

Do you even know what is going on. The players did not walk out.....they were locked out by the owners!

And where the heck is Sweeden? That a new country.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

the players did so walk out all they had to do was say ya 15 million is a bit much i can play for 8 that would have solved the problem rite there .
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

theyeti wrote:the players did so walk out all they had to do was say ya 15 million is a bit much i can play for 8 that would have solved the problem rite there .

By that logic the owners also walked out by not giving the players what they asked for.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The ones that really should "walk out" are the fans. We are the ones who ultimately will/are paying for all this BS.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
jaz301
Walks on Forum Water

Post by jaz301 »

Bsuds wrote:The ones that really should "walk out" are the fans. We are the ones who ultimately will/are paying for all this BS.

:rate10:

Exactly. If fans walks away then there will be no money for either side. Off course that would not happen though. There probably won't be enough fans that walk away from the game to make an impact, but I hope I am wrong.
Life is too sho......
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote:The ones that really should "walk out" are the fans. We are the ones who ultimately will/are paying for all this BS.

jaz301 wrote::rate10:

Exactly. If fans walks away then there will be no money for either side. Off course that would not happen though. There probably won't be enough fans that walk away from the game to make an impact, but I hope I am wrong.

:smt023 :smt023
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

As the lockout wears on, we've seen various NHL players disperse to the European leagues, some are focusing on charitable endeavours. LA Kings forward Dustin Penner has found a unique way to keep busy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEPqAyZ3dRM
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”