NHL lockout?

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Re: NHL lockout?

Post by jimsenchuk »

Well there goes my winter, was hoping they would not settle this yr, oh well, at least i was right with our Jr team. :)
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

removed - Jennylives
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

I was hoping no hockey this year. I won't be watching.

It will be interesting to see if Luongo is traded though.

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I had predicted that if the US won the IIHF tournament the NHL would sign an agreement within a week and sure enough. Bettman may be loathsome but he's not dumb. Even he couldn't let that free ad campain for hockey go to waste.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

So you really think the owners were waiting on the WJC results, and then made an agreement based on the results?

And do you really think there are people in the US who will now watch NHL hockey, but wouldn't have if Sweden had won the Gold Medal? The only Americans who follow the World Juniors are already serious hockey fans. That's like saying the Spengler Cup got Canadians charged up to see the NHL again.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

support live music or go see a play . toss a snowball or go sledding . i wont be watching an nhl game again
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

JayByrd wrote:So you really think the owners were waiting on the WJC results, and then made an agreement based on the results?

And do you really think there are people in the US who will now watch NHL hockey, but wouldn't have if Sweden had won the Gold Medal? The only Americans who follow the World Juniors are already serious hockey fans. That's like saying the Spengler Cup got Canadians charged up to see the NHL again.

Simple question, if you were thinking of opening a business, wouldn't you take advantage of a wave in product demand, regardless of how small the ripple is? Any press hockey recieves during NFL and College Footbal playoffs is a huge gift.

The Spengler does not even come close to creating the national pride that follows a World Jr's win. Besides, we may not want to believe it but the NHL is an American product sold to Canada, not the other way around.

All we can do is speculate looking at what we know for certain and what we know is the owners and players have been bargaining for 4 months with little movement and seemed willing to let the season go. Then all of a sudden they reach a deal, I just doubt it was simple coincidence.

Do you also doubt the NFL reached an agreement with their refs because of the Seattle game? Things happen during negatiations that change the landscape and I knew if the US won the World Jr's the two sides would find a way to keep whatever momentum it had created going in US markets. It would have been a missed opportunity and Bettman, as well as the NHLPA, are not going to let an excellent free marketing campaign go to waste.
jaz301
Walks on Forum Water

Post by jaz301 »

Poindexter what you are saying is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. The reason they got the deal done is because it was either they get the deal done now or lose the entire season. If they were still negotiating today it would be to late.
Life is too sho......
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

If fans spend $1 million per game in Vancouver on game days
think of all the money that got to be spent other places so far this year
that will help the economy.

Bettman is a hero.

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I agree the season is insanely long, far too much of the public's disposable income gets put in one basket. In a perfect world where money wasn't the only motive the season would be this length every year.

I found this article interesting. Looks at whether sports teams help drive economic growth. I wasn't too suprised to find the answer is no.http://goldwaterinstitute.org/blog/do-s ... mic-growth
Last edited by Poindexter on Jan 10th, 2013, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

thats goldwater they have been fighting the nhl in phoenix for yrs and yrs
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Those individuals (rich owners, players and bettman) tend not to live in the area in which the team plays. Instead, the money is "exported" to be spent or invested elsewhere. This reduces or eliminates the "ripple effect" that sports teams have on the local economy.

Global News should be ashamed trying to say Vancovuer lost money with the lockout.

theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

maybe shaw lost money due to no nhl center ice packages being sold i doubt vancouver lost any cash
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I'm sure the Sports Bars and stores that sell Jersey's and other memorabilia have lost revenue during this lock out. To think otherwise is pretty naive.

Even the one's in Kelowna would lose revenue from the people who go to watch the games and have a couple of drinks and maybe a meal.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

lots of pubs got live music it takes up for the lack of hockey . jersey stores sell other jerseys i bought two new blue jays jerseys go jays

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”