The Great Outdoors

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

The Great Outdoors

Post by kgcayenne »

We're looking for some interesting hiking spots, but first, I'd like to know one thing: Where are ATVs and other motorized sport vehicles not allowed to go? We want to really experience the simple quiet of nature free of manmade noise.

I'm not going to list the places we've already been, so please assume we've got no clue of where we should be going.

Thanks
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by Gilchy »

Okanagan Mountain Park!
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Bring fishing rods, Great action in divide and baker lks.
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
RichardW

Post by RichardW »

Motorised vehicles aren't allowed in the various provincial parks and protected areas, with the exception that some of these areas allow snow mobiles when there is a good snow pack. You can find these areas easily by taking a look at Google Maps. In other areas, you'll often come across evidence of motorised vehicle use, and sometimes the vehicles themselves, but this doesn't necessarily mean there aren't interesting spots in these areas.

Your best starting point is probably to get hold of something like Hiking in the Okanagan and the Southern Monashees by Paul Phillips, which I think is sold by Mosaic Books. You could also check out the hiking groups in the area, who can introduce you to some areas you might never have visited otherwise. If you don't want to hike in a group, check out their programmes and steel their ideas.

There isn't much that is less than two hours away that I get really enthusiastic about, but it depends on your standards. We did the Brent Mountain to Sheep Rock circular route yesterday, which was good. Little White Mountain is also another good hike. There are several great hikes maintained by the Vernon Outdoors Club (they have a book too) in the Pinnacles Area, which is located east of Cherryville. I also really like the southern Okanagan in the shoulder season when the alpine hiking isn't an option. For instance, the White Lake Grasslands Protected Area has a few options - albeit somewhat unofficial.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I also hate hiking and cycling on trails frequented by ATVs. Riding a section of the KVR near Princeton last year would have been really nice except for the ATV traffic ruining the surface and spitting up dust. Even on the section where the NO ATV sign was posted, they still rode their ATVs. ARG!

So, kgcayenne, how far are willing to travel, and how long of a hike are you looking for? Here is a nice hike with a great view (we only did the eastern half of the trail). Here is another nice one (note: this does not show the best trails in the park, just the ones I was traveling when I had my GPS).
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm definitely making a visit to Mosaic sooner than later. We should really explore Okanagan Park; for some reason I just don't think about it.

Glacier, your observations are the same as ours. There was a CBC radio interview about absence of man-made sound that has inspired us to seek and really listen to silence. We're just finding it a little difficult to remember where that is around here. :-/
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
nw-b5

Post by nw-b5 »

Hi Everyone,

I really like this thread and I have hiked Scenic (Gallagher) Canyon a few times and find challenging terrain and NO ATV's. Certainly the trestles at Myra-Bellevue PP are the same but do have loads of bikes. No probs with me in this regard. Bear Creek is also great for a short hike but is a great workout if you do it hard and fast with the changes in altitude. I hope this helps.

John F.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Bump (because why start a new thread)

OK Mountain park is great for this. (hiking where there's no motorized vehicles) altho you still hear the boats on the lake until you get away from the lake a bit. Wild Horse Canyon is a great hike - but it's a bit thick through there right now, plus there's a family living there now:

Bear-3-opt-opt.jpg

(pic taken Monday Aug 4)

I'd make the trip out to Valhalla Park - it's a bit of a drive (but being BC, it's a nice one), and there's often a fair bit of elevation gain, but the solitude offered is perfect. (I'd do Drinnan Pass / Gwillim Lakes)
Your bias suits you.
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

Look up Geocaching and check out the many places you can look to find different spots to drive and hike to.

As with everything, a few bad ATV'ers spoil it for the rest. We have frequented the KVR on our ATVs and don't spit up dust or ruin the surface. BUT, the majority of the back areas you want to go, you'll find some kind noise traffic. Weird that people want to check out remote areas that are quiet, but have to drive to get there! I could point out a few spots, but if you're just looking for hiking, then you'd be hiking for hours or days to get there!!!
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Little White Mtn, a great hike!

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”