World Junior Hockey Championship

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: World Junior Hockey Championship

Post by GordonH »

jaz301 wrote:Once again Canada had a lead and then takes the foot off the gas and loses the game. We should still beat Denmark and take 1st in group, but Canada is going to need to step up their game for the finals.

As for the outdoor game itself I hope they never do another one in a tournament like this. The ice conditions were just awful near the end. A tournament like this should not have a game like this where every game is important.

Within an 82 game regular season having outdoor game is fine, to make it equal the NHL would have to have an outdoor game during the play-offs.
Short round robin tournament is no place for an outdoor game impo.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

jaz301 wrote:Once again Canada had a lead and then takes the foot off the gas and loses the game. We should still beat Denmark and take 1st in group, but Canada is going to need to step up their game for the finals.

As for the outdoor game itself I hope they never do another one in a tournament like this. The ice conditions were just awful near the end. A tournament like this should not have a game like this where every game is important.

Canada should be able to beat Denmark tonight, key word should.

Added later (unless IIHF change the format, it should look like this)

(current standing has it look like this)
A1 vs B4 (Canada vs Switzerland)
A2 vs B3 (Finland vs Russia )
A3 vs B2 (USA vs Czech Republic)
A4 vs B1 (Slovakia vs Sweden)
this could change with tomorrows games
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Just seen how Czech Republic treated an maintenance person on the ice, impo IIHF needs to fine the team for stupidity.
Shooting pucks at someone with absolutely no protection equals idiots, shame on you.

Good to see the players involved actually went and apologize to young ice maintenance person.
I still don't believe it should have happened.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Team Canada quarter finals match is set:
Canada vs Switzerland at 1pm PST Tuesday

Winner move on to Semi-finals

Currently on the ice is the US vs Finland to see who ends up in second place in Group A
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Quarter final matchup for tomorrow as follows:
9am game Finland vs Czech Republic
1pm game Canada vs Switzerland (this one most interested in, of course)
3pm game Slovakia vs Sweden
5pm game USA vs Russia (this one could be a hell of a game)

it's been very good hockey, unfortunately no games today.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I see the "good" old TSN play by play and color person are still announcing the score of other games taking place.

Sorta counter productive, when they are televising both and many are taping the overlapping games.

I guess they've never heard of PVRs, or don't care.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

my5cents wrote:I see the "good" old TSN play by play and color person are still announcing the score of other games taking place.

Sorta counter productive, when they are televising both and many are taping the overlapping games.

I guess they've never heard of PVRs, or don't care.

I'm sure TSN has heard of PVR's, and the probably don't care if they upset those ten people.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

johnny24 wrote:I'm sure TSN has heard of PVR's, and the probably don't care if they upset those ten people.

Really ? When there are 4 games in one day and a couple are overlapping, do you really think there are only a few recording ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

my5cents wrote:
johnny24 wrote:I'm sure TSN has heard of PVR's, and the probably don't care if they upset those ten people.

Really ? When there are 4 games in one day and a couple are overlapping, do you really think there are only a few recording ?

Yes. Hockey isn't a game with mass appeal. Not too many people will tune in to a game if one of their teams is not in the game. That was shown two years ago when there was no Canadian teams in the NHL playoffs.

I'm not sure if the ratings for TSN games includes people that recorded it. If it doesn't, then TSN won't care.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

my5cents wrote:Really ? When there are 4 games in one day and a couple are overlapping, do you really think there are only a few recording ?

johnny24 wrote:Yes. Hockey isn't a game with mass appeal. Not too many people will tune in to a game if one of their teams is not in the game. That was shown two years ago when there was no Canadian teams in the NHL playoffs.

I'm not sure if the ratings for TSN games includes people that recorded it. If it doesn't, then TSN won't care.

10 teams = 20 games in round robin in 6 days, giving each team roughly the same amount of off time. With this it needs 2 venues, overlap is going to happen. I watched as many as possible without recording any.
Of course throw into the mix having Spengler Cup on as well = hell of a lot of hockey in short amount of time.

With games overlapping tomorrow it means prioritizing

Added later: so my games tomorrow will be Canada vs Switzerland & USA vs Russia. If I get to see some of the other games okay, if not oh well.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

correct and the most important one is
canada vs switzerland
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

the truth wrote:correct and the most important one is
canada vs switzerland

Yep, I'm also curious to see how well the US may or may not handle the Russian team

Sweden should steamroll over Slovakia

Finland & Czech Republic should be tight match, to close to call (impo)
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:10 teams = 20 games in round robin in 6 days, giving each team roughly the same amount of off time. With this it needs 2 venues, overlap is going to happen. I watched as many as possible without recording any.
Of course throw into the mix having Spengler Cup on as well = hell of a lot of hockey in short amount of time.
Added later: so my games tomorrow will be Canada vs Switzerland & USA vs Russia. If I get to see some of the other games okay, if not oh well.

Or......

PVR, each game takes 60 minutes +/- to watch each game verses, what, 2¼ - 2½ hours, if we're talking 4 games that's a lot. Also, I can watch when I want.

That's when the games are in North America, when in Europe even more important.

Crowds in attendance, even when the USA is playing aren't that big. Will be different next year.

If they never do another outside game it will be too soon, whoever agreed to that, is a moron.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:10 teams = 20 games in round robin in 6 days, giving each team roughly the same amount of off time. With this it needs 2 venues, overlap is going to happen. I watched as many as possible without recording any.

my5cents wrote:Or......

PVR, each game takes 60 minutes +/- to watch each game verses, what, 2¼ - 2½ hours, if we're talking 4 games that's a lot. Also, I can watch when I want.

That's when the games are in North America, when in Europe even more important.

Crowds in attendance, even when the USA is playing aren't that big. Will be different next year.

If they never do another outside game it will be too soon, whoever agreed to that, is a moron.

Don't have a PVR
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

It's looking like a blowout by Canada, shame about Carter Harts shutout though.

Barring a total meltdown by Canada, they will meet Czech Republic in the Semi's.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”